SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally happened. Of course, no one knows where and it is very disappointing because we are very careful and practice extreme defensive parking. But somehow, a small dent has appeared near the bottom of the right rear door.

But the paint is not broken, so I took it to a local body shop that does paintless dent repair. They told us they can't do it using normal methods ($125) because there is a door beam in the way and the door skin is slightly curved inwards (concave). A more expensive method that uses adhesive from the outside will be needed. But the dent is only 6.5" above the bottom edge of the door and a foot from the front edge. The beam is higher up, isn't it?

Does anyone have a cut away view of the rear doors that shows where the protective side-impact beam is located?
Does anyone have instructions for how to remove the interior door panel? I could probably figure it out, but don't want to do more damage.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Get a second opinion.

I had paint less dent removal done to another vehicle where the debt was right on the roof line. Body shop gave me some BS about a support beam blocking the area.

Went to a place that only does paint less dent removal.. Took half the time and a 3rd the price.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Tony, in google images, search for "xc60 boron steel". You'll see a few pics of xc60 cage. For some reason, when I click on the image, it takes me to volvo specs page for xc60. Most images are for 90 but you can see a few of the XC60 with the doors.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Tony, in google images, search for "xc60 boron steel". You'll see a few pics of xc60 cage. For some reason, when I click on the image, it takes me to volvo specs page for xc60. Most images are for 90 but you can see a few of the XC60 with the doors.
This might work..

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks to all. I have a set of plastic trim tools and will have a go at it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Help! Please reply asap

OK, I got everything undone except for the mechanical cable. By removing the speaker, access to the backside of the dent is possible. But the door panel is hanging by the cable.

Here is one end that disappears into a panel held in by numerous 7 mm bolts, which I hesitate to undo because it looks like the power window mechanism is involved.
[/url]Fox+ 1 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]
And there is the other end behind the inside door handle, which looks like maybe it could come apart by prying on the tan plastic retaining latches...
[/url]Fox+ 2 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]
WHICH END SHOULD I DISCONNECT AND HOW?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
....... And there is the other end behind the inside door handle said:
Fox+ 2 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]
WHICH END SHOULD I DISCONNECT AND HOW?
ANSWER: Leave it connected to the door; undo the "connector" as pictured above. I found the answer inhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbDzDDxNCO8. It wasn't quite as easy as the movie. I had to pry the tan plastic retaining latches apart with a flat blade screwdriver. It's apart now.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paintless Dent Repar Successful!

First, here is the dent before:
[/url]PaintlessDentRepair 1 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is the door with panel removed. BTW, as throughout this car, there are components from all over the world
China: (window motors. Only other part found so far is spare tire)
Hungary: Woofer
France: Tweeter
Panels: Germany
FoMoCo ? country: power window? control box
[/url]PaintlessDentRepair 3 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]

The backside of the dent was conveniently centered in the speaker hole, fortunately below the door beam.
[/url]PaintlessDentRepair 4 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]

The work they did left the outside perfect, but here you can see scratches and pilot punch dents where they worked it. I sparayed it with fluid film to protect against rust.
[/url]PaintlessDentRepair 5 by Tony Jagodnik, on Flickr[/IMG]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts