SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm getting ready to paint just the "upper" moldings on my '04 S60R. (I'm leaving the rocker panel trim along the bottom unchanged.)

From what I've heard here, I should be able to use the '05 paint-ready parts for the front and the sides, but I'm going to need some work done on the rear bumper.

Working with my dealer, I've indentified these parts that I think I can use on my '04. Can anyone confirm that these parts will fit before I order them? Am I missing anything?

Parts for painting "upper" trim on '04 S60R:

'05 side trim, paintable:
L/F Fender - 39987377 - $37.21
R/F Fender - 39987391 - $37.21
L/F Door - 39987405 - $89.72
R/F Door - 39987419 - $89.72
L/R Door - 39987447 - $49.55
R/R Door - 39987461 - $49.55

'05 front bumper trim, paintable:
Left curve - 39994625 - $25.56
Right curve - 39994632 - $25.56

'04 rear bumper trim, must be sanded before painting:
Rear - 9484007 - $98.26

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: Painting side mouldings (rqc)

Hmmm not to hijack your thread or anything, but I could think of better things to buy with that near $500 you're going to spend on just the upper moldings. Why not improve the suspension and handling with some springs and sway bars. Or a new exhaust? Portable GPS, radar detector, etc.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Painting side mouldings (PhilUp)

Quote, originally posted by PhilUp »
Hmmm not to hijack your thread or anything, but I could think of better things to buy with that near $500 you're going to spend on just the upper moldings. Why not improve the suspension and handling with some springs and sway bars. Or a new exhaust? Portable GPS, radar detector, etc.

I'm happy with the car the way it is. The only other thing I might do is get the IPD ECU at some point. Right now, I'm working on purely cosmetic changes. And it will be more than $500 by the time it's painted!

My upcoming changes are switching to Michelin PS2 tires, painting the moldings, and switching to the '05 tail lights. And possibly adding a changer to splice my iPod into it, although the iTrip is working pretty well.

·
Registered
303 Posts
a portable GPS would be daft seeing as he has Nav

but I'd agree with going for an exhaust first - some car colours don't look right on the volvo when the moulding are painted and I think green is one of them

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Don't listen to them.
Sounds like you have the right parts.
Just make sure that they spend the proper amount of time with the rear as it takes several coats of sanding and priming to make it smooth. but, you are leaving the hard part alone, the bottoms, so you shouldn't have any problems
JRL

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Painting side mouldings (JRL)

Yes, I liked how your car came out and you did it when it was still really hard to do. I'm not doing anything as ambitious. I'm combining the best of the '04 and '05 exterior ideas.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

I'm in aggreement here as not all the 05s look good all painted monotone but I think ALL the colors would look better with just the middle moldings painted
JRL

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Painting side mouldings (JRL)

OK, the deal is done! I went to the body shop and the '05 and '04 parts are ordered and the dates are set. On March 4th, may car goes in to be at the body shop for paint matching while they paint the new moldings. On March 7th, I come back to have them install the painted moldings and the '05 tail lights. And I'll have the '05 wiper arms next week.

While I was at my dealer later today, I saw a red S60 2.4 with color-keyed side moldings (but not on the rocker panels), so I got an idea of what this is going to look like. I think it's going to look great. I should throw a picture of a Flash Green S60R into Photoshop and mock it up.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Oops, I meant February 4, 7, & 8. Should have pics in a few weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.