SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone painted these moldings? I had 3 body shops tell me that they wold not do it because the paint would not stick to the BUMPY surface of the molding. Any help is much appreciated. Rick

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: Painting of the door and bumper BLACK MOLDINGS 2004S60 "R" (MASH)

You have to sand them flat, or you can buy the 2005 moldings.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MASH »
Has anyone painted these moldings? I had 3 body shops tell me that they wold not do it because the paint would not stick to the BUMPY surface of the molding. Any help is much appreciated. Rick
Your 3 body shops are run by morons.
You MUST sand them smooth
(or buy 05 moldings)
(I've painted several Volvo side moldings)
JRL

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Painting of the door and bumper BLACK MOLDINGS 2004S60 "R" (JRL)

The 2005 "R" has different moldings that wont fit. If I order 2004 moldings they still come in the textured finish.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I am talking strictly about the mid side of the door and the mid side of the bumper strips. I already have the BODY KIT. thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts

My body shop used an epoxy primer and it came out great!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

This is how I see it:

-Trim in Yellow means you can use 2005 finished parts and have em' painted
-Trim in Orange means you have to use 2004 trim parts that need to be filled, sanded and painted
-Trim in Light Blue is this different on the 2005 than the 2004? I can see that possibly since the 2005 rear bumper is different that you might need different trim piece for the bumper but how about the front and sides?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

The 2005 "R" has different moldings that wont fit. If I order 2004 moldings they still come in the textured finish.
100% UNtrue.
The only molding that is different (and doesn't fit) is the rear bumper which you would still have to sand smooth and paint

Where do you people come up with this crap?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (slowrey)

Probably, but he still has to sand and paint the LOWER part of an '04 bumper (if he's going to be painting everything body color as per '05 color scheme)
JRL

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (JRL)

Hey JRL... if you are going to be as frank as you are about the "CRAP" new people to this site have to post. PLEASE dont respond to anymore of my inquiries
. I just sold my BMW and thought I was far far away from inconsiderate people such as yourself! By the way I am just looking to have my 2 mid door protectors and the mid front bumper and the mid rear bumper painted. The dealer said that the body moldings are close but the 2005 moldingd are a little larger than the 2004. I already have the full OEM painted body kit on the car. Thanks everyone for your input. This is much appreciated. Warm regards, Rick

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (MASH)

Hey JRL... if you are going to be as frank as you are about the "CRAP" new people to this site have to post. PLEASE dont respond to anymore of my inquiries
. I just sold my BMW and thought I was far far away from inconsiderate people such as yourself! By the way I am just looking to have my 2 mid door protectors and the mid front bumper and the mid rear bumper painted. The dealer said that the body moldings are close but the 2005 moldingd are a little larger than the 2004. I already have the full OEM painted body kit on the car. Thanks everyone for your input. This is much appreciated. Warm regards, Rick
What's your damn problem?
I criticized your 3 moronic body shops not you
(I also know more about painting moldings than anyone here for, as I said, I've done 3 (P2 cars) and several earlier cars) so the suggestion would be to LISTEN

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (JRL)

You should allow people the option to want to listen to you! Not jam it down their throat. Just a little people skill advise. And I do appreciate all of the input from everyone including you.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (sniz)

Did you have the part of the back bumper painted just below the bottom of the trunk? If so how was it removing all of those pieces? Thanks in advance, Rick

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Re: (MASH)

honestly that is a photoshopped image. I still have to remove all the factory pieces and replace with the painted ones. The rear bumper of course needs to be removed/sanded/painted. I willl let you know when it is done.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts

Here are some old pics of my car but mine is an 04 with the moldings painted.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.