SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After adding my grille, adding a new custom emblem on the front, and doing a new exhaust, I'm thinking painting the brake calipers is my next summer project.<p>I know that most people go with red, but i'm torn between red or blue. I have a Barrents blue T5 with the 17' Sagitta wheels. What do you guys think? Go with red or go with blue?<p>Also, for those that have done this, any suggestions to make it as painless as possible? I am going to rent a big jack and some stands from Autozone so i don't have to rely on our car jack. Thats about it...

·
Registered
633 Posts
In my opinion I'd go blue. I went red to match and love it. I didn't do the work myself I can't relate there but best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: painting my brake calipers... (Dygitalpmp)

Yellow! If you're going to paint them, make a statement.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
957 Posts

I'd just BUY jackstands and use Your S40's jack to lift the car.... You'll need them again if You have a place to store them....

·
Registered
135 Posts
+1 on purchasing stands. They don't cost that much, and you'll use them again. Plus you'll probably want to let the paint cure overnight if you can with the wheels off the car.<p>I used the paint-on version on my last car and the results were very nice. Just use a lot of masking tape and make sure everything is nice and clean before you begin.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Re: (Crashy)

Actually, I think red or yellow would be pretty cool...either would compliment your Barrents Blue very well.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

Same with buying jack stands, I bought a 2 ton jack and 2 stands for $40 10 yrs ago, still work great.<p>On Painting the calipers, simple and inexpensive.<p>1-Newspaper<br>1-Roll of papertape/painterstape<br>can of WD40 or similar<br>can of degreaser<br>small brass wire brush/nylonbrush about an inch, toothbrush can be used as well<br>Choose a color, then buy,<br>1 can of cheap paint $.99 to use as a primer or a primer ( I bought a light yellow, then a better Yellow paint for the final coats, to my liking)<p><br>I did mine on my 850 in about 3hrs. Jack up one corner, remove the rim and set aside. also wash your car beforehand to remove as much dirt from the rims/brakes and wheel wells as possible.<p>Take the WD40 and spray on the caliper use one of the brushes to work it in to all the corners, Q-tips/toothpicks are helpful as well. The WD40 will break down any stubborn dirt, grease, tar that may be on the surface. Don't worry about getting the oil on the rotor but don't saturate the pads.<p>Take a towel and wash off as much oil as possible and then dry the caliper.<p>Take the degreaser and repeat the steps as with the WD40, the degreaser will remove the vast majority of WD40, let calipers dry completely, check any crevases for dirt or grease as the paint will not stick!<p>Take the newspaper and cover the rotor and hub use tape as needed, also cover the brake lines and fill any holes in the caliper where the rotor shows through. Try and slide the paper between the rotor and caliper as well, make sure the back side is covered as well.<p>Put the first coat on thinly either with the chaep paint or primer, if the paint pulls away from some spots, bubbles or doesn't dry you still have some grease residue that needs to be removed or you can wait and try to build up sucessive layers of paint. do about 3 thin coats, red and yellow are harder colors to apply, thats why I used a cheap yellow as my base coats.<p>allow to dry, usually pretty quick, then apply 3coats of top color allow to dry, while paint is drying you have time to clean the inside of your rims and tires then reinstall and repeat on each corner. About 45min per corner. Allow paint to cure over night or after a few hours take a spin around the block and bake the paint on by heating the caliper a little, check work might need some touchup or another coat. <p>Every 3 months or when you rotate the tires clean and degrease the calipers and apply a new coat of paint if necessary. <p>My yellow calipers on a black 850 wagon have lasted 8yrs without much upkeep and are still going. You could be anal and use some silver or black paint to add some highlights to bolts or imprints on the caliper, Enjoy!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: painting my brake calipers... (V50_T5)

I used the red paint caliper kit from ipd. I did one wheel at a time, removing each wheel, painting, replacing wheel, moving to the next. I have had mine painted for about 5 months and they are still perfect, the ipd paint is very thick and it dries tremendously hard and slick. They almost looks like they have several coats of clear on them, but they do not.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: painting my brake calipers... (vlv4life)

What about powder coating...obviously you'd have to go to a paint shop for that, but it would look really cool and would last and last and last. Anyone know about how much that would cost?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts