SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Re: painting fog light covers, battery cover and engine cover (SDS40)

For the components near the engine (battery compartment, intake pipe) I'd recommend only using a high temp paint (can be bought at auto stores). Comes in a spray, some are good for up to 1400 degrees, other 2000 or so...I did my battery cover just for kicks for the Seattle GTG, along with a couple other little parts and I think it turned out ok. It could be nicer but it was a spur of the moment thing and my prep work wasn't as good as it could have been. Be sure to take your time and do light coats. For the fog covers use Krylon Fusion or something similar: it is made to adhere to plastic better than most paints. If you are wanting them smooth and not textured you will have to do a bit of sanding, I'd recommending doing a wet sand from 220 grit all the way to 1500 grit or so. Wet sanding gives a much better sand. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
They painted my intake box reg E. Silver and never had any issues. They custom matched the cam, engine,intake manifold and battery cover. I believe they only added a elasticizer to the paint on the plastic, just like on PU body kits, Lasted in mint condition with no cracking or heat issues for 6mos, 8k miles and a GA summer with no issue. Doesnt matter what you add to the paint though head on at 30mph isnt gonna protect it.<p>Check my sig

1 - 3 of 3 Posts