SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i just got my 07 Volvo s40 PAssion red, and now i want to paint the calipers Red. I'm thinking about using VHT SP731 Real Red Brake Caliper Paint Can - 11 oz. But what do you guys think? should i just pay my local volvo dealership to paint the calipers and match the color to the car? or should i just pick a different color like white or something?

Also should i buy the larger volvo logo and have the paint it black and put them spaced out on the back of the car?

lol guys don't make fun of me I'm just getting started with this car, ill take any suggestions on what to do to it!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I updated the rear logo on my S80 to the spaced out version but I wouldn't paint it black (as a personal preference). Maybe I'm not visualizing it properly but it doesn't seem like it would look good.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Painted calipers look great. Now painting the rotors, that's stupid.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
If you want Red, how about this:

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
I updated the rear logo on my S80 to the spaced out version but I wouldn't paint it black (as a personal preference). Maybe I'm not visualizing it properly but it doesn't seem like it would look good.
Nwidener, I know we already discussed the calipers and such. Just came across this thread though, so I thought I'd throw out a image of the black letters. Original letters, platidiped, spaced.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
IMO (because you asked) The stock calipers on your S40 and my S60 look like crap - ugly, bumpy castings - Painting them would only accentuate the ugliness.
Now if you had a real R with the Brembo calipers or of course if you had the funds go with a big brake kit -you would get improved looks and stopping.

Or another option (and it's about $200 bucks) would be MGP caliper covers - I was toying with this for my car but of course they don't have them for the S60.
http://www.calipercovers.com/_e/200...D/Volvo_Caliper_Covers_in_Red_Powder_Coat.htm

Or go ahead and paint the stock calipers; it's your car - do what you want.

As far as blacking out the VOLVO on the rear - GO for it - that would look good on the Passion Red.
Use the Plasti-coat as it can be easily removed.

Enjoy the new ride.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
I agree with you that brembo brakes look best.

I personally don't like the caliper covers because they don't let the brakes breath quite as much.

As for the OP, I've seen what he's done and his brakes and they look pretty good in my opinion! It really depends how one paints the calipers and how visible they are through the wheels.

As far as blacking out the VOLVO on the rear - GO for it - that would look good on the Passion Red.
Use the Plasti-dip as it can be easily removed.
Not trying to be a spelling jerk, but I think you meant Plasti-dip. Plasti-coat is something else....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Stock calipers can look great painted if you disassemble and pick classy colors. Imho red brakes on a red car is too much. Heres my stock V70 brakes.

sent from...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I agree with you that brembo brakes look best.

I personally don't like the caliper covers because they don't let the brakes breath quite as much.

As for the OP, I've seen what he's done and his brakes and they look pretty good in my opinion! It really depends how one paints the calipers and how visible they are through the wheels.

Not trying to be a spelling jerk, but I think you meant Plasti-dip. Plasti-coat is something else....
No problem - I did mean Plasti Dip - Not to be a jerk either but the "D" in Dip is capitalized and it is not hyphenated either.
On another note Plasti-coat is spelled Plasti Kote; with a K.

Thank goodness we don't get graded on spelling, grammar or proper trade mark representation here. :D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
As to painting the calipers red with a red car - I think it looks pretty good on the OPs ride.

Looks like Nwidener is having fun with it ... So much fun he painted the horns behind the grill red too! FTW go for it.

I will keep my eyes open for your ride when I am in Winston.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Use vinyl like I did

·
Registered
56 Posts
No problem - I did mean Plasti Dip - Not to be a jerk either but the "D" in Dip is capitalized and it is not hyphenated either.
On another note Plasti-coat is spelled Plasti Kote; with a K.

Thank goodness we don't get graded on spelling, grammar or proper trade mark representation here. :D
LMFAO!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I use good ole Oil Based Rustoleum that is brushed on. In the snow belt, painting the rotor hats silver and the calipers black is a nice look.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i agree with you i have a 2014 s 60 r design and the calipers lok like **** ! does anone sell nicer looking calipers ?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
never ever do this cause it is absolutely stupid. Painted calipers I mean.
You must not be an enthusiast (which is ok) but calling someone's desire, to enhance his/her car's looks, "stupid" is truly not a nice comment (for lack of using more aggressive words)...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts