SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the sway bars, new wheels and tow bar last year. Now I'm getting ready to have my '89 245 repainted. <P>Should I replace the "ground effects" on the door bottoms or just take them off? If I leave them off, looks like I'd have to paint the rear portion of the splash guard the same color as the car.<P>The bumper covers need to be replaced/repainted. What about making them the same color as the car.<P>The body shop guy suggests painting the black-tape areas around the windows with flat black.<P>How do I black out the chrome on the back window?<P>

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
what i did with my 79'244, i just gave the crome a good clean and undercoated it then sprayed the black...worked good..someone told me you had to sandblast, but if you look at the models with flat black and you scratch it you will see that it too has been just painted over. painting the bumpers looks good...<P>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I had bad luck blacking out the trim on my 76 244, but that was on the windshield. I'd like to see a picture of your car.<P>I need to replace the wiring harness on my hatch door but keep putting it off because I don't know how to start. Does the whole thing come off if you knock out a couple of pins?

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
So the black by the windows scratches easily if you don't use the vinyl? I was thinking of painting it matte black myself when we get around to repainting our 245. I was also thinking of repainting the bumpers and the lower cladding in black, but using plenty of flex agent.

·
Registered
408 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<BR><B>So the black by the windows scratches easily if you don't use the vinyl?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I think preperation is the key part of it.<P><P>

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foboos:<BR><B>I need to replace the wiring harness on my hatch door but keep putting it off because I don't know how to start. Does the whole thing come off if you knock out a couple of pins?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>See if this site helps:<P><A HREF="http://brickparts.d--r.com/tailgate.htm" TARGET=_blank>Volvo 245 Tailgate Rewiring Project</A><P>

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<BR><B>So the black by the windows scratches easily if you don't use the vinyl?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think he meant the chrome trim around the winshield/windows. I would definitely paint the sections along the sides just below the windows rather than using tape.<P>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the vinyl you're talking about a generic tape product or one Volvo makes for that part?<P>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even I was getting confused on that last posting. I'm glad to get confirmation that painting is the way to go around the side windows. The window frames are painted black at the factory and black tape applied where the windows meet painted surfaces. I suppose it was easier that way at the factory.<P>The chrome I want to black out is around the tailgate window.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Volvo sells the kit of vinyl strips for under the side windows, but the price from the dealer is going to be very high. Check just to make sure, but expect to laugh when you hear the number.<P>I did see a kit for a 240 wagon sell on ebay for a lot less than what the dealer would get. I would have bought it if it were for a 244, just because they were so cheap.<P>

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
vinal strips?? did't no they had them.i painteed every bit of crome with this method.. 2 years later and still looks as good as the day i painted it.and this was cheap paint too. with the back door (if you havt started) you have to pull back the roof lineing and undoo 2 bolts. then undoo the the two bolts on the door.this removes the whole hinge. its easy re-place just the power wires but the one earth wire is sort of a permant crimped.its werid. you may have trouble reconecting this(they always break)easyer way is just to jump from the body to the door and eclectrical tape the wires togeather. i might have some pics 2 morow. cheers!<P>

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by devalmyth:<BR><B>vinal strips?? did't no they had them.i painteed every bit of crome with this method..</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The kit from Volvo only consists of the wide strip on the door, just below the windows, that runs from the front edge of the front door all the way to the c-pillar on the sedan. There's one for each side, and there's 3 pieces per side.<P>I didn't mean to imply that there was more to this kit, if that's what you thought.<P>I've used 3/4"-wide vinyl tape to black out the chrome on the side of the car, and to cover the chrome door handles. The width was perfect for the door handles, but for the trim along the sides I had to line up the tape to the top edge and then come back and trim the excess from the bottom. This worked perfectly because the trim piece has a small groove below the chrome where the razor blade can ride to guarantee a straight cut. Then I just tucked the edge of the tape into the groove, and it completely covers the chrome.<P>

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
hmmm, sounds a bit easyer than painting... maybe i should of looked a bit more into it.probly would have saved me time.oh well whats a weekend..<P>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts