SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had our XC for 2.5 months now but already 2 major chips halfway up the hood. Not the front, halfway up the hood. Our V70 is chipped all over the front and I remember back in 98 when I got it how many others were commenting on how easily the paint chipped. My durango after 5 years, not one single chip anywhere. I don't tailgate. I don't offroad. Just bad luck or poor paint quality?

I'm curious, how many of you also have chips already?

pat

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Paint quality. Chipping issues (pattyweb)

One little chip that I would think was normal. I had a car repainted with very hard paint, looked great but chipped like mad. Softer paint dosnt chip as much, but doesnt last as long. There is a trade off.

Chips in the middle of the hood sounds strange though.

·
Registered
692 Posts

I was so nervous about getting chips that I installed a clear bra on the car shortly after delivery. It only protects the front portion of the hood (not the front bumper or any other area), but we don't have a single chip anywhere on the car--- yet. I'm sure I'll be pissed when it does happen. The car has been on several road trips, including a 2k trek. If i were driving in other areas (such as Colorado), it might be a different story.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts

In nearly 3 years of ownership, we have no chips on the hood or leading edges of the fenders.
However, we have 2 chips on the passenger side roof, about 2+ inches above the windshield - and those were caused by a quarter-size rock that came off the road from beneath a truck in front of us. Even left a slight depression in the metal.

Considering the size of the rock, I would have thought it to be worse. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: Paint quality. Chipping issues (1sttimevolvo)

We have about 43k here in MA and only have a few chips. It's black sapphire too so they should be noticeable. One great thing about this car is the aluminum hood, no need to worry about rust....unlike my car (older benz)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Paint quality. Chipping issues (XC90 Black Saphire)

Wow, thanks! Great to hear that it's an aluminum hood. Mine is also black sapphire and they do show. Two of them 'appear' to be down to the metal (or primer?). No rush to get touch up paint now to prevent rusting at least.

Has anybody tried those touch up paint pens? I was looking at this site: http://www.paintscratch.com/pricing.htm

pat

·
Registered
434 Posts

No chips here. I have used touch up paint before - we got a door ding on our previous XC90 and our local body shop mixed up some paint for me (plus a little container of clear coat). It worked really well.

(note: an aluminum hood does have a downside -- aluminum is much trickier to work with and repair than steel. you should be sure that if you need body work that the shop has a person trained to work with aluminum)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: Paint quality. Chipping issues (Thomas)

You folks with the aluminum hoods must be special.
Maybe I'm missing a joke here but you better go check your hoods with a magnet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Paint quality. Chipping issues (Aztecian)

The xc90 hoods is made in metal. I have tested that with a magnet. The only part that is aluminun or plastic is the upper rear tailgate.

mauritx

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Paint quality. Chipping issues (mauritx)

Interesting. Maybe aluminum with metal reinforcement below? Does metallic paint actually have metal in it? Could the metallic paint be what the magnet is adhering to? I have read of cars lately coming out with aluminum hoods.

In any event, I'm going to get some paint and touch up those nicks ASAP.

pat

·
Registered
434 Posts

Yes metallic paint has metal in it - but certainly there is not enough for a magnet to bond to.

I haven't tried the hood of the XC90, but I can't believe it would be Al. Typically that is only used on performance cars where weight matters.

Clearly weight was not something the XC90 designers were too concerned about. My money is on the hood being steel.

As for the original issue of this thread. If the paint is coming off completely by itself then something is wrong - either the metal wasn't prepped properly or there is some inperfection in the paint or primer before it dried.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: Paint quality. Chipping issues (Thomas)

hmmm, guess I'm wrong. Thought I read that on here....

anyway, I don't understand. Some of our chips go down to the bare metal and have been there for about two years. The metal is still nice and shiny. However, on my 'rustbucket' Mercedes, rust appears nearly the day after the paint has been broken......

Can someone explain that?

·
Registered
55 Posts
But you know that all the car, the metal is cover with a zink plated surface that is very strong this is way the car is not getting rost.

mauritx

·
Registered
434 Posts
Re: Paint quality. Chipping issues (XC90 Black Saphire)

Mauritx is right - they hot dip the bare sheet metal before prime and paint so that it is resistant to rusting even if you get a paint chip or a scratch. Your Benz probably doesn't have that type of treatment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts