SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting PPF put on my new car before the Michigan roads chip the hell out of it. I've got one great local place that does it that does XPEL and 3M and can do damn near anything with them.

So the debate is, just how much is actually worth it? Partial hood vs full hood, A pillars? Headlights? There are many choices to be had.

There's also the cost to consider, partial hood, full front bumper, mirrors and partial fender can end up around $1,200.....thing is $1,200 is a lot of paint correction if needed!

So for those of you that have done it, how much did you have done and how much did it cost (if you don't mind sharing)? Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,036 Posts
I'm thinking of getting PPF put on my new car before the Michigan roads chip the hell out of it. I've got one great local place that does it that does XPEL and 3M and can do damn near anything with them.

So the debate is, just how much is actually worth it? Partial hood vs full hood, A pillars? Headlights? There are many choices to be had.

There's also the cost to consider, partial hood, full front bumper, mirrors and partial fender can end up around $1,200.....thing is $1,200 is a lot of paint correction if needed!

So for those of you that have done it, how much did you have done and how much did it cost (if you don't mind sharing)? Thanks!
I'm from Michigan too and got my PPF and Ceramic Coating from Motor City Auto Spa, Royal Oak!

I went for the XPel Ultimate full front end kit + Rocker panels + A-Pillars + Headlamps + Fog lamps + Rear Cargo Loading area + Sunroof Leading edge.

Ceramic Coating was Opticoat Pro + on the entire Vehicle including the wheels.

All glass was treated with Aquapel.

The PPF is warrantied for 10 years while the Ceramic Coating (if I remember correctly) is warrantied for 5 years.

I paid $4003.00 for the entire deal and this was done last week of June 2018.

The owner of the place and the techs working there are nice enough to wash and dry my Vehicle for free every time I'm around Royal Oak (I live up north).

I am fully sold on getting Vehicles PPFd and Ceramic Coated. I have tested out the PPF through the mountains of Wyoming driving through intense sand-storm while pitted the entire front-end of my (then) brand-new V90CC. The micro-scratches healed themselves in a day or two being in direct sunlight and now, I cannot make out if the car was ever pitted by the sand. My windshield is a different story as it has millions of micro-scratches visible in direct sunlight due to the sand storm.

PPF will physically protect the Vehicle while Ceramic Coating will chemically protect it. My advice is, you own a beautiful, expensive vehicle. The snow, slush, salt and road conditions of MI won't let it stay that way in a couple of months. Invest in protecting your Vehicle the same way you have invested in the Vehicle itself. Mine looks brand new even after 45k miles on it and that alone is worth the cost!

If you decide to go the PPF/CC route, make sure you have the skills to perform the install yourself or, if not, have a well-known, genuine place, paint-correct and then professionally install everything.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'm from Michigan too and got my PPF and Ceramic Coating from Motor City Auto Spa, Royal Oak!

I went for the XPel Ultimate full front end kit + Rocker panels + A-Pillars + Headlamps + Fog lamps + Rear Cargo Loading area + Sunroof Leading edge.

The PPF is warrantied for 10 years while the Ceramic Coating (if I remember correctly) is warrantied for 5 years.

The owner of the place and the techs working there are nice enough to wash and dry my Vehicle for free every time I'm around Royal Oak (I live up north).

I am fully sold on getting Vehicles PPFd and Ceramic Coated. I have tested out the PPF through the mountains of Wyoming driving through intense sand-storm while pitted the entire front-end of my (then) brand-new V90CC. The micro-scratches healed themselves in a day or two being in direct sunlight and now, I cannot make out if the car was ever pitted by the sand. My windshield is a different story as it has millions of micro-scratches visible in direct sunlight due to the sand storm.

PPF will physically protect the Vehicle while Ceramic Coating will chemically protect it. My advice is, you own a beautiful, expensive vehicle. The snow, slush, salt and road conditions of MI won't let it stay that way in a couple of months. Invest in protecting your Vehicle the same way you have invested in the Vehicle itself. Mine looks brand new even after 45k miles on it and that alone is worth the cost!

If you decide to go the PPF/CC route, make sure you have the skills to perform the install yourself or, if not, have a well-known, genuine place, paint-correct and then professionally install everything.
When I get my new car, I would like to have both of these done. How would you recommend researching a well-known genuine place? Is there any certification or licensing? I definitely want more than a yelp review when choosing something so important and expensive.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3,899 Posts
www.autopia.org

All the pro's are on there, including myself. Amazing place to find a TOP NOTCH detailer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
On both my wife's XC90 and my V60 I chose to get both PPF and ceramic coating done. My wife's XC90 we had done with Suntek and Opticoat Pro+. My V60 I went with Xpel and CS-II Titanium. I just wanted to try to different products my local detailers used. For PPF, on both our vehicles we had full hood, front fenders, front bumper, a-pillar, roofline, headlights, mirrors, rear luggage strip and door cups done. Ceramic coating went on top of all the paint and the wheel faces and we also did a windshield coating. Cost was approximately $4500 for the XC90 and $3800 for my V60. It's not cheap but I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, plus the ease of cleaning is so nice. Not having to wax is a bonus as well (I just don't have the time with 2 kids).

If you can afford to PPF and ceramic coat I would do both. PPF you can't go wrong with Suntek, Xpel or 3M. There are lots of great coating products out there. Just need to find a trustworthy detailer.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
On both my wife's XC90 and my V60 I chose to get both PPF and ceramic coating done. My wife's XC90 we had done with Suntek and Opticoat Pro+. My V60 I went with Xpel and CS-II Titanium. I just wanted to try to different products my local detailers used. For PPF, on both our vehicles we had full hood, front fenders, front bumper, a-pillar, roofline, headlights, mirrors, rear luggage strip and door cups done. Ceramic coating went on top of all the paint and the wheel faces and we also did a windshield coating. Cost was approximately $4500 for the XC90 and $3800 for my V60. It's not cheap but I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, plus the ease of cleaning is so nice. Not having to wax is a bonus as well (I just don't have the time with 2 kids).

If you can afford to PPF and ceramic coat I would do both. PPF you can't go wrong with Suntek, Xpel or 3M. There are lots of great coating products out there. Just need to find a trustworthy detailer.
What is the order in which these products are put on?

Now just to find a trusted detailer. I will use the link suggested.

Thank you so much!

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,036 Posts
When I get my new car, I would like to have both of these done. How would you recommend researching a well-known genuine place? Is there any certification or licensing? I definitely want more than a yelp review when choosing something so important and expensive.

Nora in Florida
What is the order in which these products are put on?

Now just to find a trusted detailer. I will use the link suggested.

Thank you so much!

Nora in Florida
Nora, I would suggest going to XPel's (PPF) and Opticoat's (Ceramic Coating) website and searching for their official dealers for your state/city. Also, read the google reviews to see how good an authorized installer is. That's how I went about searching for a detailer near me.

Here is a list of authorized XPel installers in Florida https://www.xpel.com/clearbra-installers/united-states/florida

Here is a list of authorized Opticoat Ceramic Coating installers in Florida https://www.opticoat.com/find-an-installer/?location=Florida,%20USA&radius=50

Chances are if a shop is authorized dealer for one product, they usually would also be authorized installers for multiple products from other brands too.

Also, the order of application is always, 1) Paint decontamination and correction/polishing, 2) Paint Protection Film, and 3) Ceramic Coating.

Also, you should be provided with proper warranty documentation for all your work (at least my dealer has provided me with such) in case you need it in the future.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Nora, I would suggest going to XPel's (PPF) and Opticoat's (Ceramic Coating) website and searching for their official dealers for your state/city. Also, read the google reviews to see how good an authorized installer is. That's how I went about searching for a detailer near me.

Here is a list of authorized XPel installers in Florida https://www.xpel.com/clearbra-installers/united-states/florida

Here is a list of authorized Opticoat Ceramic Coating installers in Florida https://www.opticoat.com/find-an-installer/?location=Florida,%20USA&radius=50

Chances are if a shop is authorized dealer for one product, they usually would also be authorized installers for multiple products from other brands too.

Also, the order of application is always, 1) Paint decontamination and correction/polishing, 2) Paint Protection Film, and 3) Ceramic Coating.

Also, you should be provided with proper warranty documentation for all your work (at least my dealer has provided me with such) in case you need it in the future.
Thank you so much! I found a PPF dealer in my city, but nothing for the ceramic coating. But when I call the PPF dealer I’ll get more information. This is a huge help! Thank you.

I may have asked before, but I can’t remember for sure. Is this appropriate for an old vehicle? The red paint on my 1996 850R has oxidized a lot. And I want to try to do something to revive it and hopefully protect it.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,036 Posts
Thank you so much! I found a PPF dealer in my city, but nothing for the ceramic coating. But when I call the PPF dealer I’ll get more information. This is a huge help! Thank you.

I may have asked before, but I can’t remember for sure. Is this appropriate for an old vehicle? The red paint on my 1996 850R has oxidized a lot. And I want to try to do something to revive it and hopefully protect it.

Nora in Florida
Appropriate - Yes.
Worth it - Maybe/Maybe not.

Without actually taking a look at the physical condition of the paint and the oxidization, no one will be able to comment for sure. It'll also depend on how thin this older paint is.

The installer probably will spend much longer decontaminating, correcting and polishing your vehicle to bring it to a baseline state as compared to doing the same with a brand new Vehicle. That labor will cost you money and you're the best judge of how much you want to spend protecting an older vehicle. It can only future proof the vehicle and not necessarily help restore all its lost glory even with all the paint correction.

Also, I'm not a detailing expert so take my views with a pinch of salt. A professional installer and your wallet will be your best guides in this matter!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Appropriate - Yes.
Worth it - Maybe/Maybe not.

Without actually taking a look at the physical condition of the paint and the oxidization, no one will be able to comment for sure. It'll also depend on how thin this older paint is.

The installer probably will spend much longer decontaminating, correcting and polishing your vehicle to bring it to a baseline state as compared to doing the same with a brand new Vehicle. That labor will cost you money and you're the best judge of how much you want to spend protecting an older vehicle. It can only future proof the vehicle and not necessarily help restore all its lost glory even with all the paint correction.

Also, I'm not a detailing expert so take my views with a pinch of salt. A professional installer and your wallet will be your best guides in this matter!
Thank you so much. I’m going next week to talk to a professional detailer for an opinion. The car is 23 years old. Actually if I could just keep it the way it is now I would be quite happy.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thank you so much. I’m going next week to talk to a professional detailer for an opinion. The car is 23 years old. Actually if I could just keep it the way it is now I would be quite happy.

Nora in Florida
Spend a couple of grand for paint protection on a 23 year old car? Why??

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Spend a couple of grand for paint protection on a 23 year old car? Why??
I’m sentimental. And crazy too I guess. I think actually what I want more is just to get it looking better. Both the car and I are very old and have limited number of years. But during those years I would like to have it a little more sparkly.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
917 Posts
I’m sentimental. And crazy too I guess. I think actually what I want more is just to get it looking better. Both the car and I are very old and have limited number of years. But during those years I would like to have it a little more sparkly.

Nora in Florida
Get it detailed and waxed? *shrugs*

·
Registered
911 Posts

Pretty much got all the same stuff done on my v90cc, plus PPF in the door cup areas.

Well worth it! Picked up the car in May with 2 miles on it, had all the PPF and ceramic coating done the next week with ~100 miles on it, and today the car has about 5k miles on it and looks glossy and shines with zero dings or marks on the front of the car.

Took a rock hit to the center of the hood. It gouged the ppf. After a few days that gouge had mostly disappeared and today I can only see it if I really look for it. Had the ppf not been there that definitely would have been a full on paint chip down to the primer.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm thinking full front bumper, full front hood, mirrors, partial fenders/wheel well surround with 3M. Should run around $1,200 to $1,500 and provide good, though not perfect protection. Skipping ceramic and all that, as much as I'd love to drop 10% the purchase price of my vehicle on paint protection that's a bit much for me to stomach at the moment.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,036 Posts
I'm thinking full front bumper, full front hood, mirrors, partial fenders/wheel well surround with 3M. Should run around $1,200 to $1,500 and provide good, though not perfect protection. Skipping ceramic and all that, as much as I'd love to drop 10% the purchase price of my vehicle on paint protection that's a bit much for me to stomach at the moment.
Sounds like a good plan. And I agree with dropping the CC and going with PPFing critical areas! Also, see if you could get your A-Pillars covered. They do take a beating.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That’s what I have been doing every six months for the past 23 years. And will probably just end up continuing to do.

I have to admit I don’t even know what an A pillar is?
It's the vertical pillars that hold up your windshield and roof. The "B" pillars are the pillars between the driver and passenge compartment, C pillars the next ones back, etc.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts