SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come I haven't seen any nice custom paint jobs on nearly any of these cars? All I see out there are stock colors, some nice accents, and relative boringness in general.

Mine is plain old boring ass white. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car and I love it for what it is, but I'm thinking about painting some radical color. Has anyone seen any nice full color changes on our cars?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Crossy had his V50 dipped in matte green and that looked neat! I though think that there is no reason to spray in some "wild" colours, as the selection Volvo offered was more than enough... The colours suited the cars though Brilliant Blue is just the best colour for any S40 or V50. In the C30 world it is Cosmic White and Java Brown. The C70 looks neat in that Pearl White colour... Being cars for "older" (not old!) people, the cars are addressed colourwise to them!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here's a couple older pics of mine. I went the easy route and just followed the factory lines by painting the hood, trunk, and roof.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
as daim said, i had my old car dipped, not painted... but it was really flashy:

this one's plastidipped too in a kinda weird, but appealing color:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking a matte blue pearl over black for my car. I'll find a picture of the color somewhere. It's what I do for a living, so I can really play around with colors and find what I think will look nice.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^ sounds cool.

Slasher had an Artic Camo vinyl thing going for a bit, that was cool.

since this is what you do for a living, can you recommend a touch-up paint for me? I have never touched up any paint and im really clueless how it might work...is there a volvo Part# i need to get my color? ive got a million little chips in the paint that are starting to rust.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest, the best way to get touch up paint would not be by using the touch up paint at the parts counter at your local dealership. Go to a body shop, ask them to scan your paint and mix the smallest amount their system will allow (usually an ounce or so, depending on the color). If the painter (or prep guy, depends on who mixes paint at that shop) is good, they'll be able to match it almost perfectly. Touch up paint only hides the imperfections though.

I think iPhone doesn't like the desktop version of this site. I found a good example of the color I'm talking about but it won't let me copy/paste the link.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
How about this? :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looks polestar-ish :p

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I did a tri stage Lambo balloon white with a satin finish paint job a few years back, and then soon after the car got totalled. Rebuilt but haven't dealt with cosmetic issues as I've been using my Rover as a main vehicle lately. Mine might fall into the boring category for you as it was just a pearl white. I've contemplated doing something a little more in your face on facelift #3, but we'll see.

Do something completely unique, never been done to a P1. And post pictures. Lots of pictures.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Thanks for the tip-yeah I hit a deer and the body shop matched my paint perfectly but since the ive got little + larger chips in the paint everywhere and I wanna stop it from rusting and getting worse- not so much a cosmetic thing-- cuz my car already is looking beat-- but I want to stop it getting worse.

How much does a full paint job usually cost, I know you could spend crazy amounts of money on paint but what is the average price?
@careragt7 yours looks nice man, I didn't think you were even on this forum anymore. Anyway how much did that cost you?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Hey Brown, I hop on every now and then to see what the new crowd is doing to their cars, but haven't had much time to modify vehicles lately. Still have plans, not enough time. Have to prioritize and it goes family first, job, then hobbies. Can't wait until my son is old enough to get into working on car stuff with me. :)

My paint job was done by a guy at a hook up price, but off the top of my head mine was around 4k, but I helped do most of the prep work and paid for all the supplies as well. All the quotes I got ranged from 6-12k for a full repaint in this color, so I was happy my friend who was in the business was willing to help me out on the side.

It wasn't perfect (bumpers didn't quite match up due to being painted previously), but I was happy with it. It was a lot of work but I like working on my own ride versus just paying a shop to do it all. Sanding/prepping all door jams and whatnot was rather fun, and watching it go from prepped to completed was awesome.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Full paint job varies in price....from a zillion dollars down to under $1000. It all depends where you live, who you talk to, what time of year it is, and how busy the guy/shop is at the moment.

Carrerragt - Definitely not on the boring side! Very nice!! I love satin finishes on pearl paint, it really makes it stand out from most of the OEM colors. I'm shocked at the price though, especially when you helped AND paid for materials! Boring was referring to my very bland stock white S40. When I decide it's time to do it, I'll make a photo trail. This is my daily driver so it'll be a 2-3 day job at most.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
How come I haven't seen any nice custom paint jobs on nearly any of these cars?
Because Volvo paint is so high quality on these cars. You won't see an S40 or V50 with major fade or body rust (unless it was parked in sun every day since 2004), so there's no motive to drop $4-6k for a quality paint job and no foolishness to cover up the nice paint with some cheap Maaco job.

Plus, most Volvo owners are either conservative or building sleepers. ;)

The only cars I've seen redone are those that have been in accidents that required more than just one panel being redone. But even then, nothing too extreme.

Here's my C30, being a little different:

A friend of mine also went crazy with the vinyl, but that's not paint...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts