SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any recommendations to fix or prevent worse damage? The paint at the bottom corner of back doors is all eaten up by rocks and such near the dog legs. I just don’t want anything to rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Damn, that is very odd how concentrated it is on rear sill, with no scratching/ marring on the door itself. Agree with sanding, touch up, clear coat, buff, and then clear film approach. Question is whether you feel you can do this work yourself to your satisfaction, or how particular you may be with the outcome.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If those nicks are caused by small rock impact, I agree with clear film on the side panel area. But around the edge, the regular paint film (8 mil thick) might not be enough. You'd want to have an extra layer just on the corner, or go with the thicker ones available for headlight housing lens. I've seen headlight housing lens film at both 20 and 40 mil; the 20 mil should be just right.

In the past (~ early 2000), I know some vendors sell 12mil for paint film, but I don't think they sell those anymore.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PA. I’m a travel nurse and had to do a lot of commuting through the mountains to New York border during the winter. Just weird to me that the damage is only in those corners.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
My car is littered with rock chips. Not sure how you're getting them on the bottom of the door? Either way, touch up paint + Xpel / Opticoat if you're wanting to protect the vehicle from further damage.

I live with it, I got rock chips. I mean it'll cost around $1000-2000 to wrap the car.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Two words: helicopter tape.
Interesting. Looks like they are very similar.

3M Helicopter tape: https://www.selfadhesive.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/8671_HS.pdf
3M Paint Protection Film (Scotchgard brand): https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...385+8709313+8710654+8710859+3292322927&rt=rud

Paint protection film was originally advertised to be a result of helicopter blade protection film development. I didn't know that they marketed one with helicopter on the name.

As far as the helicopter tape listed above, it looks like it is around 14mil (14/1000th inch), while most PPF are sold with an 8mil thickness. But there are PPF sold at 20 and 40mil as well, advertised for headlight housing lens protection.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My car has PPF on most of the front and side mirrors and dog legs. Just not in that random corner. I’m going to see about getting it touched up. Already had to get a new hood before and repainted so I’ll see what it would cost then put on some helicopter tape maybe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dr. Colorchip. They will send you a kit that will fill paint voids and mask the damage. Once dry, any clear film over those areas will prevent further chipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts