SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be interested to swap my Saab 9-3 Aero for a v60 t6 awd(2012 or 2013) and I sort of
must have paddleshifters.
Is it possible to buy a 2014 steering wheel with paddles and install?
Has anyone done this? Once I saw a 2014 v40 t5 (5cyl) and it had aftermarket paddles
so I guess it's possible somehow.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Are you in the US? If so the V60 wasnt available here as a '12 or '13.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I had no idea. I'm from Sweden and the 2011-2013 t6 awds are well priced atm.
A 2014 would cost around 13-14k more.
Are you in the US? If so the V60 wasnt available here as a '12 or '13.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We always get the good stuff later. We would have loved a V60 in 13 when we bought but they werent here yet. Looking at your original post I should have known you werent in the US, since you mention a V40, another car we dont get. As for adding paddle shifters, I guess it comes down to whether the car was designed for them at the start, since they would have to plug into something, which may or may not be there on earlier cars. I assume the ECU would need to be updated too. Im just speculating here, maybe someone else knows for sure.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It *might* work if you get the newer steering wheel, the paddles and the harness but so far I don't know anyone who has tried to install the whole package to earlier model year Volvo. One forum member here who has an S80 tried to get the paddles to work with his car using the existing steering wheel but it didn't work.

That V40 with the paddle shifters you mentioned, I guess you are referring to that green Heico V40? I once asked Heico about it but the paddle shifters for that car was made to work by some other 3rd party so they couldn't give any specific details about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car I saw was a matte black T5 2013 (found here: https://www.autouncle.se/se/begagnade-bilar/3274756-volvo-v40-t5-polestar-unik-svensksåld-kombi)
It's was sold a long time ago but I'm 100% it had paddles.

It *might* work if you get the newer steering wheel, the paddles and the harness but so far I don't know anyone who has tried to install the whole package to earlier model year Volvo. One forum member here who has an S80 tried to get the paddles to work with his car using the existing steering wheel but it didn't work.

That V40 with the paddle shifters you mentioned, I guess you are referring to that green Heico V40? I once asked Heico about it but the paddle shifters for that car was made to work by some other 3rd party so they couldn't give any specific details about it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The car I saw was a matte black T5 2013 (found here: https://www.autouncle.se/se/begagnade-bilar/3274756-volvo-v40-t5-polestar-unik-svensksåld-kombi)
It's was sold a long time ago but I'm 100% it had paddles.
Probably the paddles were custom made or someone found out how to retrofit the Volvo paddles. Shame there is no interior pictures of that V40 in the link.

I almost went and purchased the newer steering wheel and all the required parts to see if they can be made to work in my -11 S60 but ultimately decided against it since I'm not going to keep this car for much longer.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've seen too many reviews that shun the paddles in our cars because they're slow to shift so I don't even use mine. Want em? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

It will not work on a U.S-spec'd V60.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I've seen too many reviews that shun the paddles in our cars because they're slow to shift so I don't even use mine. Want em? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use mine all the time. I don't notice any more or less delay as compared to sport mode shifts or pushing the stick shifts.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Updated transmission hardware and software is required to add the paddle shifting on the M14+ vehicles. There is no way to install either of these properly.

Also, the paddles do not shift gears more slowly than the shift lever, but I have read reviews that say the paddles shift slowly compared to the C400/C450AMG and S4.

The paddles are good when you need control over what gear you're in, but the auto programming is much quicker when you can rely on it (because it almost always shifts at the right moment to minimize shift times under heavy throttle).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts