SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had this idea for a while and really want to do it. I gave it some thought and it seems pretty easy. Just wire the + and - sifter buttons to the paddles and youre done. BUT, from my knowledge of basic electronics, doing that would mess up the resistance of the sifter and might cause a malfunction. Im thinking of mounting them on steering rack instead of the wheel for better control, kind of like a Ferrari.

Has anyone done this before?
Also, how hard would It be to do this?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Oh yeah, I remember that thread...wow, what a throwback...but yeah, absolutely no information of value besides that you could take it to the same place Lucky did.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent the shop an email requesting info on how it can be done. Hopefuly they reply tomorrow.

·
Registered
485 Posts
In July 2013 CKAVolvo said in that thread:

"Can't say it could not be done but BLine has only done 3. I can tell you start with Lexus paddles. You will need a good Upholstery shop and some type of Dealer software reflash is needed, it is easier to do on the 2004 to 2005 R's

"I truly enjoy the shifters"

B-Line's website has a photo of the paddle shifter mod... Be good if CKAVolvo would comment on how they have been for 2+ years... (If I am reading his comments correctly)

·
Registered
438 Posts
People come and go in the forums. Not sure he's here anymore.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Do you find using the GT function with shift lever to be very useful?

I don't find shift time to be fast enough to make it a feature worth using.

How are getting the paddle switch inputs from moving steering wheel to steering column?

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts

How are getting the paddle switch inputs from moving steering wheel to steering column?
Anytime I drive the 06, I ALWAYS use the GT function. I really like it. It lets me get the caR into 6th gear more quickly. I haven't found its shift time to be too slow and I think it's vastly superior to most GT capable cars of the same vintage. You've got the 5GT, I've got the 6GT, I'm not sure if that makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

I love mine. Most of the time I'm in drive, but when I feel like it, I like to put it in manual. Mine shifts quite instantly, nearly as quick as a DSG around 2000-4000rpm, don't know if that's normal, hopefully it is.

In July 2013 CKAVolvo said in that thread:

"Can't say it could not be done but BLine has only done 3. I can tell you start with Lexus paddles. You will need a good Upholstery shop and some type of Dealer software reflash is needed, it is easier to do on the 2004 to 2005 R's

"I truly enjoy the shifters"

B-Line's website has a photo of the paddle shifter mod... Be good if CKAVolvo would comment on how they have been for 2+ years... (If I am reading his comments correctly)
Why do I HAVE to use the Lexus paddles? I don't get it. Do they have a chip in them or something?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
I love my geartronic, I drive with it about 90% of the time city/ backroads or highway I use it. But shouldn't this be somewhat simple. When you shift up and down I thought it was a magnet of some sort that crosses the circuit board that tells it to shift up and down. So could you not just have padals that send a current to the Board to upshift and downshift

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If the factory uses switches in the shift mechanism then a paddle shift should be easy to integrate. If it has magnetic sensors and related ICs, then things might get complicated though not impossible.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Only girltronics can have the cute paddles :p

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn it! I didn't know they were magnetic.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
But they sure are fun to play with.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
B-Line but I'm sure they will say drop the car of with them along with about $3500. I'm out with Family in SF but still around later this weekend

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ron's paddle set up is first rate. It would be awesome to have paddles with rev matching throttle blips for down shifting, I test drove an Infinity a few years back and it had this feature. It really made the drive fun thru the hills, not sure if anybody can program this with our trans computer. Also when manual shifting in my R, I wish it would shift quicker as well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
B-Line but I'm sure they will say drop the car of with them along with about $3500. I'm out with Family in SF but still around later this weekend
All this paddle talk go me very interested in the possibility. Then I called B-Line Motorsport. http://www.blinemotorsports.com/

Here is the summary:

Yes, they still do it but have not had one done in about a 1.5 yrs.
About $2200 is what I was quoted today. Car needs to be left with them for about a week. They have done 7 to 8 Volvos. This includes MY 04, 05, and 06. No MY 07s.

They had considered a kit for the DYIer but do to iability issues and the complex install process when working on such a sensitive area (air bags, steering in general, modifications to the steering wheel itself) they decided not to offer it. Also, he noted that each MY seemed to be different in terms of wiring, types of connectors and what electronic options (Nav, PDC, Multi disc CD changer, etc., etc.) the R was configured with; making the install process slightly different each time.

The process is propitiatory and they would not go into any detail of how they do it. Took 6 or seven months to figure out how to do it.

Yes, the Lexus paddles work best. They tried a bunch of others, (even the newer Volvo R Design steering wheel and paddles).

The process requires modifying the steering wheel and column to get the wiring down to the GT switches. ECU has to be flashed to fix cell that the added paddles cause. Any custom tune IS saved. Only the back side of the steering wheel needs to be reupholstered to give it the finished look.

That's about it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts