SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the front wheel on my daughter's 99 S70 last night and discovered a ridge forming on the outermost peripheral edge of the outside face of the rotor. It looks like it is worn in by the brake pad not reaching this outer edge. The braking surface is still smooth and the remaining pad is thicker than its backing plate. It is only occurring on the right wheel, the left is fine. I have not owned this car for long and do not know the brake history. Is this the result of not turning the rotors on the last pad change? Or is the caliper suspect since it is not occuring on the other side. Ironically, I posted a ? here a month ago regarding this wheel showing much more brake dust than the others.<br>Should I be anticipating a full replacement of front calipers/rotors/pads or just turning the offending rotor and popping in new pads soon?<br>Thanks a million for any input.<br>

·
Registered
533 Posts
Re: Pad wearing groove in rotor (mr magoo)

I have a similar slight ridge around the outer rim of all 4 of my rotors as well. I've been told that it's normal for that to happen over time, so long as the braking surface itself remains smooth -- hopefully someone more experienced can confirm this?<p>My guess is that the left rotor is simply newer and not worn in like the right side is? Perhaps it was replaced shortly before you purchased the car... but again, this is just based on what the shop I go to has told me.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Re: Pad wearing groove in rotor (mr magoo)

I would say that the rotors and brakes are fine...just a little different from one side to the other.<p>As long as the car will brake straight while stopping and not holding the steering wheel, you are in good shape. If you get one side to pull more than the other, I would consider replacing the front rotors, pads, and inspect the calipers.<p>Good luck and best regards,<br>Prospero

1 - 3 of 3 Posts