SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 XC70 3.2L
115 Posts
the transmission? prob not for 2010. i think the 2010 models use aisin AW55-SN ? if that's the case i have no idea if there even is a 1:1 drop in replacement probably isnt one but like everything, always a way if you know what your doing or have the money to have someone else dl it for you no matter how pointless.

if your XC70 is using Aisin TF-80SC which i don't think it is, i think volvo installed the TF-80SC in the XC70 in 2011. but if so then drop in replacement is the Aisin TG-81 its litterslly same size and mounting points and volvo still uses it today. all need is the TCM for it, many on used market include them hooked up still, someway of telling CEM in you volvo about this new hardware, D5T5's Vdash is one option..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your question needs clarification....what do you want to accomplish?
I’d like to change the gear ratio on the differentials to get better acceleration back due to the larger tires and a closer to stock speedometer reading

·
Registered
509 Posts
You might have a quicker solution with performance upgrades. Tune, downpipe, cold air induction, etc.

·
Registered
2011 XC70 3.2L
115 Posts
I’d like to change the gear ratio on the differentials to get better acceleration back due to the larger tires and a closer to stock speedometer reading
to correct the speed error you need to adjust rolling circumstance setting in mm to new tire size.. it should be like 2553mm assuming I did the calculation and conversion correct. You can ask volvo dealership to help or maybe a way to change this in VIDA. Or you can use a premium modding app like VDASH.

as for improving your acceleration, unfortunately not much you can do. Should have gotten a T6 if need that acceleration and power because then either not need anything because turbo make up for it or if bogging still bothers you, then lots of options like ECU tuning and polestar tuning, etc etc. that actually make a differance. I have a 3.2L 2011, much better tranny in it so doesn’t have same issue but it’s still got the 3.2L’s lazy ass power band. I tried a ECU tune and noticed no improvements in 0-60 time and my trap speeds. Fully regret spending the money.

But Between slushbox tranny on 2010 and prior and lack of power band on 3.2L and the weight of XC70s and if your XC70 is AWD then also wasting power transferring power to all the wheels launching, but basically have a lot working against you. Also picking a larger wheel = gearing up it will make it slower off the line like starting in 2nd gear but will make it faster somewhere in the power band… always a trade off somewhere.

·
Registered
2011 XC70 3.2L
115 Posts
You might have a quicker solution with performance upgrades. Tune, downpipe, cold air induction, etc.
He has 3.2L. There is no turbo for down pipe to do anything, and any tuning will at most offer +10HP but power band will remain pretty much the same, maybe able to dump more fuel and earlier as well but it’s overall lazy power band can’t really improve too much with factory ECU being reflashed. Also has the issue that the AW-55SN paired with heavy XC70 and AWD…..it is just a dog of a transmission..

·
Registered
509 Posts
He has 3.2L. There is no turbo for down pipe to do anything, and any tuning will at most offer +10HP but power band will remain pretty much the same, maybe able to dump more fuel and earlier as well but it’s overall lazy power band can’t really improve too much with factory ECU being reflashed. Also has the issue that the AW-55SN paired with heavy XC70 and AWD…..it is just a dog of a transmission..
Oh, I see.

In the past, with non turbo engines I've had nice performance gains from combining Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs, cold air induction and a tune. Perhaps finding as less restrictive exhaust without making it too loud.

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel like startup from scratch and getting a 2011 XC90 3.2 from auction and swapping the diffs and transmission that will make the difference and appreciate the info but I’m going old school
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2011 XC70 3.2L
115 Posts
I feel like startup from scratch and getting a 2011 XC90 3.2 from auction and swapping the diffs and transmission that will make the difference and appreciate the info but I’m going old school
Thanks everyone.
If your starting over I strongly suggest picking up a T6 instead. Much more power and potential plus if your into tuning then you can get stupid with it :) not uncommon to be see modest ECU tunes pulling 400HP on a T6.

·
Registered
2011 XC70 3.2L
115 Posts
Oh, I see.

In the past, with non turbo engines I've had nice performance gains from combining Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs, cold air induction and a tune. Perhaps finding as less restrictive exhaust without making it too loud.

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk
I tried a handful of preformance spark plugs can’t really see much differance.. currently using some bosch double iridium as they gave me the best result with being the smoothest. But more power not sure.. seemed about the same.

As for intake, you could shorten it and force some cold air into it but the position of the throttle body is in a stupid place vs T6 and how blocked the front end is makes it difficult doing both cold air and shortened intake… I opted for factory intake setup but with drop in K&N air filter which seems to helped with response. Shortening the intake will further increase throttle response… getting cooler outside air into it would further help but may require some annoying modification to get uninterrupted fresh air in to it…

exhuast I have a custom opened up exhuast, please don’t mess with it too much, the cabin drone in these wagons is bad Because it’s such an echo chamber.. I spent a lot more time and money than I should havemaking my exhuast livable. I don’t know if it’s helped preformqnce, it’s sound nice and sounds faster…

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
the transmission? prob not for 2010. i think the 2010 models use aisin AW55-SN ? if that's the case i have no idea if there even is a 1:1 drop in replacement probably isnt one but like everything, always a way if you know what your doing or have the money to have someone else dl it for you no matter how pointless.

if your XC70 is using Aisin TF-80SC which i don't think it is, i think volvo installed the TF-80SC in the XC70 in 2011. but if so then drop in replacement is the Aisin TG-81 its litterslly same size and mounting points and volvo still uses it today. all need is the TCM for it, many on used market include them hooked up still, someway of telling CEM in you volvo about this new hardware, D5T5's Vdash is one option..
All P3 XC70s that are US Spec use the TF80 minus the Drive-E T5s..

·
Registered
16,602 Posts
That is bad ass.
Does anyone know if it’s possible to re gear the differentials to get a better gear ratio? I installed 32x10.5x17 LT All terrains
2010 XC70 3.2

any help will be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2011 XC70 3.2L
115 Posts
All P3 XC70s that are US Spec use the TF80 minus the Drive-E T5s..
you maybe right, it’s possible. I dont own one to know for sure but having test driven a 3.2L 2010 it feels pretty dog slow and the transmission feels dimwitted and slow vs 2011 that I own. If that’s the case that 2010 uses TF-80SC series then probably possible to upgrade it to a much newer variant and newer TCM.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If performance is the goal (better acceleration and braking), the physics give the advantage to the smaller-wheeled vehicle.

You seem to have discovered this relationship thru the school of hard knocks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts