SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to upgrade the stock halogen HL on MY2014 S60 to the HID/Xenon is it a simple plug and play? Winters here and drive to/from work in the DARK and the stock headlights leave something to be desired. My old age not helping either!
New are expensive but used are less than $800 a pair evil-bay, etc. Maybe I need to ask my dealer if I can try one out at night to "see" if there's enough difference to bother.

I have read here about better bulbs, then hear stories that they burn up pretty quickly.

Your thoughts and opinions please!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Your question has been asked many times here. No they are not plug-n-play. Level sensors, wiring harnesses and software are needed for OEM HID. I have not read of anyone changing to OEM HID from halogen here.

Please don't retro fit HID to reflector lamps. This will only piss off on coming drivers and possibly the police.

My experience with "brighter" halogen bulbs from a previous car is that they are not significantly brighter, if at all, than regular Halogens and they do indeed burnout much faster, like in 6 months from my experience. At one point, as I was rotating the OEM Halogen back in as the expensive bulbs burned out, I had an OEM on one side and a Silverstar Xtra(something) on the other and honestly could not tell the difference. This is why HID was at the top of the must have list for the next car.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Eco is correct.. There is no plug and play and no good setup for the volvo.. I think what you should do is switch the lamps out for "OSRAM NIGHTBREAKER" Lamps.. They give a nice crispy white color and look great with the LED's.. Coverage wise its hard to tell, but for me it seems much better.

Also - if your shopping on amazon it will tell you these dont fit the s60.. it lies..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4L1V1Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

B

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am looking at LED headlight kits for my 2012 S60. They are direct replacements for halogen bulbs and are designed to use the existing reflector housing. I noticed superbrightleds, ebay, carid and amazon sell them. I was hoping to see if anyone has tried them. Listed below is an example from CarID

http://www.carid.com/2012-volvo-s60...ng-led-headlight-conversion-kit-75999559.html
If you search around there is some threads on these but just note - most of them may do more harm than good.. Many say they end up blinding others causing folks to flash you often and may even be illegal and ended up not worth it..

YMMV

·
Registered
4,637 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the halogen headlamps in my XC60 and I upgraded the bulbs to Philips Diamond Vision Super HID 5000k bulbs and they look fantastic and have a very similar color hue to the OEM Xenons; it kind of reminds me a bit of the Xenon headlamps from my 2007 S60R.

Here is the link to my build thread with a side by side comparison: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?233572-Puredrive-s-2016-XC60-T6-AWD-Premier/page2
Those look very similar to the OSRAM Nightbreaker set.. So yeah both good.

What was interesting is the OEM Bulb in the S60 is an OSRAM bulb.. :p

YMMV but NO Need for LED's its pointless, especially if you don't have Projector lamps..

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Those look very similar to the OSRAM Nightbreaker set.. So yeah both good.

What was interesting is the OEM Bulb in the S60 is an OSRAM bulb.. :p
Yea Volvo OEM bulbs are OSRAM on current models; I believe my old 2004 S40 had Philips or Sylvania bulbs for OEM.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you search around there is some threads on these but just note - most of them may do more harm than good.. Many say they end up blinding others causing folks to flash you often and may even be illegal and ended up not worth it..

YMMV
Somewhat disagree - upgraded the H8 low beams on my P2 S60 and they worked great. Issue is with fogs or high beams, or low beams that don't have a good cutoff. The P3 projector HID is great, and it uses halogen 'driving light' high beams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you driving in sparsely populated areas with little to no traffic?
No. Mostly just getting older, eyesight was never great to begin with. Plus driving in rain/wet this time of year.

Wish the low beams where just a little brighter/farther down the road. Even if I could adjust just the right one to light up the shoulder better, unlike 10% of on coming traffic with BADLY adjusted headlights/fogs shinning UP or ACROSS the lanes into oncoming traffic, but I digress. Maybe I'll try either the Night Breakers or Philips Diamond Vision Super HID 5000k suggested. A yr ago I did purchase some PIAA xtreme white PLUS 4K bulbs which turned out to be the EXACT same Osrams the car had stock!!! Waste of $90.00....

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
P3 Headlights XENON/HID vs Halogen, Plug&Play?

Sounds like you need a newer car with Xenon or LED headlights. I run the H4 PIAA's on my 850 and I find them brighter than the stock H4 Philips/OSRAMs, but the stock Xenons in my V60 blow them away. Wish I had those headlights sooner!

Good luck with finding a H4 solution but you won't get close to Xenon or LED headlights.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No. Mostly just getting older, eyesight was never great to begin with. Plus driving in rain/wet this time of year.

Wish the low beams where just a little brighter/farther down the road. Even if I could adjust just the right one to light up the shoulder better, unlike 10% of on coming traffic with BADLY adjusted headlights/fogs shinning UP or ACROSS the lanes into oncoming traffic, but I digress. Maybe I'll try either the Night Breakers or Philips Diamond Vision Super HID 5000k suggested. A yr ago I did purchase some PIAA xtreme white PLUS 4K bulbs which turned out to be the EXACT same Osrams the car had stock!!! Waste of $90.00....
I know what you mean re other cars poor light alignment, plus running non DOT spec bulbs like HID simulation and super bright bulbs from ebay. So bright and annoying. Few get tickets though so it seems to be an accepted practice.

DOT legal bright bulbs are just a whiter band of light and have no real benefit compared to standard yellowish OEM, according to studies. DOT rules also hinder halogen light compared to European halogen.

Since there is no cost efficient way to convert to OEM Xenon, the only way to attain better lighting is non DOT spec bulb, maybe only one for the right side only, from any off-road or rally lighting vendor, or a European light bulb vendor, plus adjust your right light. Also, used Euro spec light assemblies from recycler should have a better result overall because they have different lighting standards.

Alternately, get an accessory LED modules / lights from same type of vendor, mount into a cutout in lower grill or led strip area, and get the light where you need it.

If you were in the country side I'd say get one of those wide low profile off road LED bars that give instant daylight - too bright for populated areas though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know what you mean re other cars poor light alignment, plus running non DOT spec bulbs like HID simulation and super bright bulbs from ebay. So bright and annoying. Few get tickets though so it seems to be an accepted practice.

DOT legal bright bulbs are just a whiter band of light and have no real benefit compared to standard yellowish OEM, according to studies. DOT rules also hinder halogen light compared to European halogen.

Since there is no cost efficient way to convert to OEM Xenon, the only way to attain better lighting is non DOT spec bulb, maybe only one for the right side only, from any off-road or rally lighting vendor, or a European light bulb vendor, plus adjust your right light. Also, used Euro spec light assemblies from recycler should have a better result overall because they have different lighting standards.

Alternately, get an accessory LED modules / lights from same type of vendor, mount into a cutout in lower grill or led strip area, and get the light where you need it.

If you were in the country side I'd say get one of those wide low profile off road LED bars that give instant daylight - too bright for populated areas though.
Any 100 W offroad spec bulb should work well - like Bosch Rallye series

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would consider doing a proper projector retrofit, but I haven't cracked open a Volvo headlamp before. I'm assuming you can bake them them and pull the lens off like most others. Has anyone done it on the '14-16 models?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Any 100 W offroad spec bulb should work well - like Bosch Rallye series
Keep in mind that's double the heat as well. Could end up damaging the headlight assembly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Resurrecting this thread.

I have an XC60 with stock Halogen headlights and just scored a set of used working Xenon/HID headlights.

Does anyone know how much Volvo charges to install these things since its not plug and play?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
^^ my gut says a dealer won't want to do the work with used hardware.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Resurrecting this thread.

I have an XC60 with stock Halogen headlights and just scored a set of used working Xenon/HID headlights.

Does anyone know how much Volvo charges to install these things since its not plug and play?
I have done HID bulb swaps on cars with projectors before but apparently the wiring harnesses (or at least the ends of them) are different between halogen and HID equipped cars.

I know the ABL feature won't work but on a halogen car you will probably have to modify the wiring harness where the old housings were connected, install and wire ballasts and ground them to get your xenon housings to light up.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
^^ my gut says a dealer won't want to do the work with used hardware.
I agree and I doubt they would do this even with new hardware. It requires new wiring harnesses not only to the headlamps but also to the level sensors mounted around the vehicle. On top of that there's probably a controller involved somewhere either a separate unit or controlled by the CEM. If the adaptive tech is in the CEM your CEM might not have the guts to control HID. It could be just software but that would need to be installed by VIDA which may not even allow the software installation for HID on a non-HID VIN in the first place.

My feeling is this would definitely be an enthusiast project. First you need to research all the parts required for the HID system, wire harness, sensors and controller. Then research if the software to control them can be installed.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts