SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed an Innovate PSB-1 failsafe AFR & boost gauge on a P2R? The innovate appears to be the only system that reduces boost for both out of range AFR and over-boost conditions, but I'd like to better understand how well they function with our TCV's.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/psb1.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Sounds like it will cut the current to the factory TCV as a fail safe to reduce boost to 8 PSI, but be prepared to reset check engine codes when the ECU sees it as a fault in the system.

I already have a boost gauge and watch my WBO2 gauge via my scangauge, so its good to keep an eye on such things to make sure all is well, but this at least automates the process for those moments when your eye isn't on the instruments.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Stock max boost (load) map is made so that one axis is AFR and other is RPM. I know only one tuner besides myself that modifies this map so that when things get lean, boost is reduced. All P2 Volvos have wideband o2's so it uses this signal. I've seen a lot of big name tuner files and Hilton Tuning is the one that uses this map properly.

Overboost diagnostics is also something already present in the ECM, and also generic maps have it often disabled.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Contrast - I'm working with Rob on the tune, are you suggesting that his tune will cut boost in a lean condition so I don't need and AFR failsafe?
I was looking at separate AFR & Boost failsafe setups when I found this integrated solution from Innovate, but it will be great it I don't need to worry about AFR and can just focus on Boost.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'm 100% sure Rob will make the best possible tune. These ecus are very capable and have every possible fault path covered. Its up to the tuner to make it right. He can give you more ddtails in person, I'm sure :)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm absolutely confident that Rob will make the best tune possible. I couldn't be happier with the current tune, but want to add extra safety measures as we push the car harder. The new turbo is a bit of an unknown and I'm always weary of sensor failures during full boost / load operation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts