SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have seen a lot of P2407 threads on older Volvos but nothing on a P3 yet. So I will explain what happens and what I've found so far. Any input is greatly appreciated.

The light comes on and goes off by itself if you don't do anything. It comes on pretty much every tank, usually when the tank is below 1/8. It will go off eventually (about 15 cycles) after the tank is refilled. If the tank is almost empty and it goes on but I erase manually, it won't lit up again until next tank is almost empty.

First things first, I thought about the cheapest and easiest fix, the gas cap seal. However, when I open the tank there is an audible strong vacuum noise that tells me that the system is not actually leaking (or not much, at least). That makes me believe that the seal is good (and visual inspection tells so as well).

Question 1. Is the system so sensitive that even a small leak (since there is a lot of vacuum in the tank yet) would trip the light?

Quesiton 2. On the P1 and P2 it looks like usually the J hose is the one to blame, although again, I don't believe there is an actual leak. I haven't found on online autoparts stores this hose for the P3. Is there one on the P3 as well?

Any thoughts? I am afraid I need to replace the LDP. Is all the steps for the job available on VIDA, if so? I wasn't able to find VIDA for download anywhere yet. Is it only available together with the DICE?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Q1: I suspect yes, even a small leak is triggering the code.
Q2: Sorry no idea on this one... :(

If I had this problem I'd just avoid letting the tank get that low... actually I usually fill up around 1/2 a tank anyway! :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Q1: I suspect yes, even a small leak is triggering the code.
Q2: Sorry no idea on this one... :(

If I had this problem I'd just avoid letting the tank get that low... actually I usually fill up around 1/2 a tank anyway! :)
Agree with the 1/2 tank and fill approach... and in practice that at least means not more than half-way to 1/4. But 1/8... that seems really low except in special circumstances.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, guys.

I just want the thing working properly. I could try to avoid the problem by not letting the level go too low or just resetting the light every time it comes on. However that wouldn't clear the problem, but just mask it. I thing the best approach is to change the gas cap seal and see how it goes, if it fails, get more information on the J hose, if that doesn't solve, change the LDP. Nothing is really expensive, which is good. Just the lack of information online on replacing the P3 LDP makes me a little concerned at this point. It looks like it is a couple hours job on the P2, I don't see why it would be different on the P3 but would like to hear from somebody with hands-on experience.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am bringing this up from the dead but hoping in the past year something new has come to the surface. I have an 08 S80 v8 with 127k on the clock. I just received this code. I have had trouble filling the car all the way up i usually only get about 15 gallons in the car and regularly fill the car up after I see a gas light.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just got this code today. Gas tank is less that 1/4. Anyone ever find a resolution to the problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts