SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a seemingly common and frustrating saga dealing with the ARD crap, but for the purposes of helping out anyone else Googling WTF is going on with their car, I'll do my best to be succinct.

ARD downpipe, ARD stage 2 tune, ARD TCV purchased. For some reason, I just flat out did not come across all the bad reviews of ARD tunes and certainly would have not wasted the money had I found those.

The Volvo dealer installed the TCV and downpipe. Near immediate CEL with code P2097. Also noted new vibration and a rattling at near stop/idle speed. 2 more visits to dealer (good guys who actually give a damn) and another to a local euro indy (also good guys) and no difference except my wallet is close to a grand lighter.

I read many posts on this fantastic forum and did the Chris Farley, "stupid, stupid, stupid!" forehead slap.

I went out to the garage and swapped back in the OEM TCV. I did this to start eliminating variables and to get it ready for a tune from Hilton who won't allow an ARD TCV on his tunes. I turned the car on and while reversing out of the garage, the CEL went out!

In retrospect, I guess this makes sense as there is a line to the TCV from the MAF sensor -- one of the frequently cited tips with P2097 no matter what vehicle is to clean the MAF sensor. Sooooo, it appears the ARD TCV was messing with the info coming from the MAF.

As a side note the local indy said it appears the rattling is coming from the proximal/forward downpipe flange being larger than the original and needs to be ground down. It only happens after car is warm and at very low speed. Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

Thanks guys for all your wonderfully informative posts through the years.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I read many posts on this fantastic forum and did the Chris Farley, "stupid, stupid, stupid!" forehead slap.

ARD is selling downpipes, that's news to me.

P2097 code from a TCV? While I believe aftermarket TCVs are junk, it's impossible for it to trip that code. The TCV isn't interfering with the MAF, air leakage coming from the lines leading to the unit or the unit itself could cause issues, but it'd have to be a fair sized leak.

Does your downpipe have a cat?
Is there a spacer installed on the rear O2?

I have conflicting references for that code. While generic P2097 is referring to post cat, according to OBDII to VOLVO:
P2097 -- ECM-24BD -- Front heated oxygen sensor, bank 1 -- Signal too low
You should pull the code using VIDA, if you already have a DiCE (assuming yo do) you should be able to pull VIDA via torrent or other download. Hell if you're local I'll pitch you my copy.

What's your milage?
It is possible that the O2 needs replacement due to age or damage, but I'd troubleshoot everything else before throwing parts at it. I have a feeling this code may reappear.

Oh, and :thumbup: on getting a tune from Hilton :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Antherzoll! :cool:

Well shoot, maybe the CEL went out coincidentally or maybe the tubing was hooked up wrong to the ARD TCV... Hopefully, the TCV itself had a leak as you suggested as a possibility.

Sorry, I was a bit tired last night posting. It is a 2007 V70R GT with 108k miles, basically bone stock until I started down this ARD road. It has been flawlessly reliable since I bought it new (aside from a cracked radiator replaced under warranty). The downpipe has a high-flow cat and was installed at the same time as the TCV -- right after that and before I did the ECU tune was when the CEL came on. There is no spacer on the rear O2 sensor, but I have one coming in the mail as we speak.

I found a bit different definition of the P2097 code -- post cat O2 sensor too rich. B/c of the code, the indy shop did already replace the front O2 sensor. Of course, the CEL came back on after the engine cycled a few times.

Thanks again for your advice! I'm going to get the rear O2 spacer on there soon and hope the CEL stays off. If everything is good for a bit, I'm giving Hilton a call....

Hopefully, this thread just adds to the data out there to avoid ARD tuning products. :facepalm:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So a bit of follow up.

Antherzoll was correct that the TCV had nothing to do with it. The light came on shortly after I posted my above response.

So I brought it back to the indy shop. It turns out there was a "big" leak coming from the exhaust manifold. They took everything apart, reinstalled new gaskets, etc. They also found a pinhole leak on the O2 sensor bung on the ARD downpipe which they welded. Nice QC on that product, huh? The engine has had a lot of time to throw another code at me and it appears all is good. It is all too coincidental that this happened after the dealership got ahold of it....

The second issue with the vibration -- turns out that was also the downpipe from ARD: the rear flange was just too big and was vibrating against the heat shields. So the shop ground down the flange to the same diameter as the exhaust flange, et voila! No more vibration. I saw another thread here on Swedespeed regarding a CNT DP that had the exact same symptoms as my car, grinding the flange helped that issue as well.

As I mentioned before, it is strange to me that I did not run across all the negative reviews of ARD prior to purchasing his stuff. What I read was, "Lucky is so knowledgeable," "Lucky is the man," Lucky this, Lucky that! I read great reviews of his customer service, his products, etc. I felt that I was in good hands. Then, as soon as I have some issues and look some more, bam, all these bad reviews come up. haha, oh well.

As far as the ARD tune, I'm going to run what I brung for now and just leave the tune in place temporarily. I don't see any erratic behavior so I think I'm safe enough for the short term. Hilton is going to be getting a call soon though. Of course they require a cat back for their level 2, so all in, I'll have gone >$4k for a tune (x2), an ARD TCV currently sitting in a box, a downpipe and an IPD cat back exhaust (planning on that exhaust currently). Sheesh. But no regrets, live and learn!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
so all in all your car is running well on the stage 2 tune and your only issues were some bad exhaust manifold gaskets, a pinhole leak at the O2 bung, and needing to grind down the flange on the downpipe to prevent vibrations. I see some minor downpipe issues but nothing else really.

So forgive me for asking, now that it's all sorted and the issues really were minor, why are you getting a new tune? It's running well, no? You're spitting a lot of hate at ARD when 1. the TVC wasn't the problem. 2. sounds like nothing is wrong with the tune. Your only legitimate complaint is that the downpipe had some issues. Speaking of, did you even tell ARD about the downpipe issues?

A lot of happy customers, a lot of pissed off customers. You seem to be a relatively happy customer yet you're ready to ditch the tune which IS working well simply because of some other bad reviews? That sounds like a huge waste of money on your part. If it's running fine now and you're happy with the performance, leave it the hell alone.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Man, should have gone down the IPD path instead of ARD. ARD is hit or miss, which is why I will stay away. I have a buddy who has had tremendous experience with ARD, and another has not. I need to see consistency in quality before I invest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Any aftermarket MAC style TCV is a mistake, iPd, ARD... every single one doesn't have the longevity of the OEM one. The valves weren't made to survive in a high heat environment and there's no performance gain from a different solenoid. All it does is open and close the WG using vacuum pressure.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I had to remove my IPD TCV for the Hilton tune also. As to balance this out I have only had good number with my Stage 4 ARD tune 377 awhp. Several 1/2 mile races and motor and car still going strong. Also have had great performance from the JZW tune

Hear we go :deadhorse::saber:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts