SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pair of good condition 328mm calipers from late XC90s. These are the biggest and most powerful front brakes for the P2 platform. Yes even more powerful than brembos. Twin 44mm pistons vs the brembos at 42/38mm respectively.

Bolt on upgrade for all XC90. Just swap to the 328 disc and pads.

Superbly easy big brake upgrade for S60/V70/XC70. Drill spindle mounting holes to 14mm. Bolts are included. Use correct brake line for your specific chassis. Pad, rotors from 328mm XC90s.

Surface blush rust from sitting. All pistons move freely and fluid was clean. Taken from a southern car.

$120 + shipping

New anti rattle clips are included at asking.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Auto part Automotive exterior

Gas Font Metal Fashion accessory Auto part

Bicycle part Font Metal Auto part Gas

Head Jaw Wood Working animal Motor vehicle

·
Registered
“Dew” -- 2004 XC90 T6 in Nautic Blue
279 Posts
On an XC90 would the 336 be the best option? Or are the 328mm calipers superior due to the dual-piston design? I'm stuck with the 316s right now and they are pretty underwhelming.

·
Registered
18,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On an XC90 would the 336 be the best option? Or are the 328mm calipers superior due to the dual-piston design? I'm stuck with the 316s right now and they are pretty underwhelming.
328s will be much more powerful than the 336 due to the overall design of the system. 7.5% more piston area than a 336 but the acting pad center radius is further out, pad force is more evenly distributed and the rotor is designed for better heat dissipation.

They are the standard front brake caliper on the XC60, albeit a modified version.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Have a set waiting to get cleaned and powdercoated in the spring!

If you are installing on a non-XC90, be sure to install the XC90 rear calipers and rotors as well to keep things balanced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Yes even more powerful than brembos. Twin 44mm pistons vs the brembos at 42/38mm respectively.
Good upgrade for sure, especially at this cost, but no match for the Brembo’s.

Brembo’s are 4 piston: 2X 42mm and 2X 38mm as opposed to just 2X 44mm.

The Brembo’s will also be more progressive due to the leading / following piston diameter design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
18,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good upgrade for sure, especially at this cost, but no match for the Brembo’s.

Brembo’s are 4 piston: 2X 42mm and 2X 38mm as opposed to just 2X 44mm.

The Brembo’s will also be more progressive due to the leading / following piston diameter design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Per Brembo, the opposing side of a dual piston caliper is not considered when doing braking force calculations. This makes sense if you think about it. Stoptech, Wilwood also share that analysis position.

By those metrics then the 328mm do produce more clamping force.

The factors that matter are:

Pad friction, tire friction, ratio of tire radius to rotor center of effort radius and piston area.

Brembos are stiffer than an equivalent sliding caliper and lighter, being made of aluminum instead of cast steel. But they’re also not basic wheel friendly nor budget friendly and in the real world any of the xc90 brake kits stops a P2 that’s equipped with them just as good as a P2R equipped with brembos. At that point of comparison it’s all about tire and pad. The XC90 kits are shockingly good for what they “lack” on paper. More than enough to bounce your face off the dashboard, if you have enough tire grip to use all that force anyway. When I first put xc90 brakes that were actually off a 06 euro t5m on my 2003 two of my friends with Rs were shocked how good the setup is and that I matched one and outbraked the other. Now, they also have the xc90 kits on their XC70s and were quite happy with a brake upgrade that all in costs a little less than a used at of P2R brembo calipers alone. Plus, no pegs.

·
Registered
V70 02/2007 auxiliary heater with all start/stop options Billstein B12 kit Xc90 brakes abl retrofit
225 Posts
So on a S60-V70 drilling is needed or put some keenserts in to go to 12mm?

·
Registered
18,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So on a S60-V70 drilling is needed or put some keenserts in to go to 12mm?
I would drill them to 14mm. Volvo did for the European T5s that have 316s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts