SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is leaning on me to move on from my 99 v70xc. It runs fine right now but she is up for change and maybe doesn't like a 12 year old car (although it has aged very well. The interior is tight (thanks to dampening projects I've done), and it is great in snow.

I've been looking on the local kijiji and there are 4 v70R's within driving distance (2004-2006) with mileage of 80-120K KM (quite low mileage). They are all MT's :thumbup:

THere are also buckets of xc70's. Their mileage is higher (as they are more likely DD's). They are all GT of course (2004-2007 is the range I'm looking at).

Maintenance records are paramount as well as pre-purchase inspections by my indy Volvo mechanic. But from your experiences, how different is the reliability of the V70r's vs the xc70's as the miles progress. I'm aware of the clutch slave issue in the V70r MT's but I do like to row gears. After it has been repaired, is it pretty much a done deal or will be it be an ongoing expense?

Thanks to all you Swedespeeders.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Not a whole lot different except of course the R shocks and electronic suspension parts and pieces cost MUCH MORE than XC's do and the Rs, for whatever reason, seem to have BCV and fuel rail issues where 99% of XC's do not

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. Is the fuel rail issue due to the higher boost and tunes? Interestingly some of the local xc70 s Aldo have 4c

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way. Nice xc. I've been a fan of the storm trooper look.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
V70R will be much heavier on the brakes and tires compared to the XC. XC more plusher in terms of ride.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Adam and Justin both are pretty faithful believers in modding the XC.

Consider your environment. As you said, most likely Rs are stored in the winter (salt, low clearance, or just plain exclusivityof being a "sport sedan or wagon") while the XC sees the drudgery of year-round duty. What do YOU plan to do with it? Jim has said that the R is NOT for dirt roads, so if you have muddy winter-heaved roads, the XC is probably a safer bet. Of course with less hp, mechanically it gets stressed less and for the same reason insurance companies like it much more than an R. Can't get an XC MT, tho and if you want it for the long haul, its always better to row your own, since the simplicity of the MT means it will outlast the AT any day of the week. Of course, those 4C shocks! $$!!!! Yikes! Also, remember those Brembos mean you can never fit anything smaller than 17" wheels on it, while the XC can take 16s.
The R will be much more fun, and you will probably love it more, but you will want to have a cash reserve waiting for the inevitable repair or big$ maintenance bill.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Thaxman got it right. Consider your needs. If it is an all rounder in good and bad weather, the XC is a much better and safer bet. Like I mentioned before the R is much more sporty and fun but as most will know those attribute will cost you more when the wear and tear items come in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Advice well taken. Maybe I might just holdout for the unicorn t5m v70 or ***shudder*** look at audi or bummer wagons (I'll leave the autocorrect on that one LOL)!!!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Yes you can.
They're everywhere in Europe and I have one.
Even if your dealers didn't have them on the showroom floor, you can still get them.
Yeah, but up here in lard-butt lazy will-only-drive-an-AT N. America.........

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Look on the bright side - at least you get all the parts and after-market support for your Volvos, not to mention cheap prices.
We get nothing.
And yet, you have done so much with...nothing!
When are you going to start pimping out that stunner? You know, global tour and all that. Also, I totally expect to see it in the Mad Max rehash that's been rumored.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
And yet, you have done so much with...nothing!
When are you going to start pimping out that stunner?
Only possible way is to buy from USA and have it shipped here. I have paid more in freight for all my parts than the parts themselves.

On the contrary,
I installed this today...

The rear board is out as I was tuning the crossover frequencies. The Alpine amp fits snug under the floor board. (its mounted to a piece of mdf under the carpet)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Looks like a great sub and amp too! But the cost is the diminishing boot space.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts