SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of us in hot climes, the CEM & REM failures are not a matter of if, but a matter of when. The processors overheat and fail.

New programmed-at-the-dealer units are on the order of $2k and up. If they fail, XeMODex will transfer the data to a remanufactured unit with new processors and heatsinks for about half of that, or $1k for both. But you have to pull them and send them to XeMODex in Canada. The good news from that is you can plug them back in and not have to go to the dealer to reprogram them (unless the memory was wiped out in the failure at which point you're stuck and have to have the dealer reprogram it)

When the CEM dies, you're dead, pretty much immobile.

So I asked XeMODex if they could just put the heatsinks on my working REM and CEM before they failed and keep the units cool, thus (hopefully) letting them last longer.

They said, "Sure!" $50 each. Plus shipping. So even with $110 overnight to Canada it set me back only $210. It's not an advertised service just yet, you have to ask. And they installed the heatsinks and reshipped the day they got my units. So turnaround time is minimal.

Here's a picture of the CEM assembly before I sent it in. I took this so I could put all the relays back where they came from. The CEM itself slides out from the relay assembly. Note in the center of the CEM, under the cooling holes there's a metal shield. I think this is an EMI shield that protects the unit from emitting waves that can screw up the radio. Trouble is, the CEM processor is under this shield and, being boxed in, the air can't circulate to keep the processor cool enough. And that's why they fail.

When you get the unit back, they'll have removed that EMI shield and put in the heatsinks. Here it is for the CEM:

and the REM:

Of course, you don't need to do this, but I added cooling fans as the ultimate overkill:

I also added a similar fan for the REM, but it looks pretty much like the one for the CEM

The units worked just fine when I got them back, just remember to plug the relays back in where they came from and it'll run just fine. And WAY cheaper than if you wait for them to fail.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Xemodex is a company i would love to do some business with, and will sooner or later, but it really sucks that they are in canada.

Pretty nice of them to offer that service. I wonder if the reman units they offer include an upgraded processor like they did with the DIM or if it is the same exact spec processor as factory.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xemodex is a company i would love to do some business with, and will sooner or later, but it really sucks that they are in canada.

Pretty nice of them to offer that service. I wonder if the reman units they offer include an upgraded processor like they did with the DIM or if it is the same exact spec processor as factory.
Most likely the same processor to get it to fit. But the heatsinks keep it cool enough that it won't fail in the same manner. Plus that EMI shield was removed to also help keep it cooler. And you can go all-out and put on the cooling fans like I did if you're really that worried about it. I sort of figured I'd do that because the fans were only $11 each and my units, by definition, were using the same microprocessor as the original because they didn't remove it.

The Canada thing wasn't a problem for overnight shipping, if that was your concern. I arranged with XeMODex for the shipping, so they sent me the labels and customs forms in an email (I did have to remember to sign the three pages and put them in a clear envelope on the outside of the box). I followed the tracking and it sailed smoothly and was delivered from Los Angeles to Canada by 8:30 the next morning and XeMODex was able to do the service and start shipping back the same day. So as long as you go through them, shipping is not a problem. Also, some of the other units that are 'on the shelf' are in a warehouse in Buffalo, so they can ship directly from there if you have a unit that you want to swap out.

But in my case it was wait for it to fail and get stuck in an intersection ($1000 to fix) or send it in now as an insurance policy ($210) and know the probability of failure was a lot lower with the heatsinks and fans in place. Seemed to me like a no-brainer to just fix it now.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
MY 2004 CEMs are having major issues with heat. Other years not so much....but i wonder if this is even enough to save an OEM 04 CEM?
im sure it would help with the problem, but i would say one of the problem CEM's would likely still fail even with the heatsink/fan

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MY 2004 CEMs are having major issues with heat. Other years not so much....but i wonder if this is even enough to save an OEM 04 CEM?
im sure it would help with the problem, but i would say one of the problem CEM's would likely still fail even with the heatsink/fan
If you're already starting to see failures in the CEM then I wouldn't go with just the heatsink, but rather get the new processor with its heatsink. You do need to send in the original CEM to transfer the data to the rebuilt unit, though. But I'd consider your CEM "stressed" by heat and on the verge of total failure as it's only a matter of time before it goes out completely leaving you stranded.

There was a transition sometime either in '04 or '05 where the CEM was changed from this http://xemodex.com/technologyimprov...e-cem-with-xemodex-thermal-upgrade-30657629rp to this: http://xemodex.com/technologyimproved/cars/cem-repair If you have the former it's real easy to get out--just a matter of undoing the driver's lower panels, getting a screwdriver on the left side of the CEM and popping it out of the holder. The '05 and up (maybe some years of '04, I'm not sure) need you to go into the top of the cowl and remove some wiper mechanism parts to get access to the CEM. Also, the latter design has a cover on the cowl that tends to leak, drip water on the CEM, and corrode the CEM and its electrical contacts. Bad. So for you guys, follow the advice at XeMODex to replace the cowl cover and use the new gasket to keep water out of there. See http://xemodex.com/technologyimproved/cars/cem-repair for description and applicable VIN numbers.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
yeah i know about the 05+ problem i was referring to the 04 CEM issues they have been having.

i wonder if taking a 04 CEM with the heatsink makes it so it will not fail.

I have no doubt it would work good barring any other odd problems with the CEM on 99-03 cars.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey, sorry to bring back an old thread, but I wanted to say that this sounds like it'll be a lifesaver for me. I just got my car back on the road after doing a bunch of work and it just happened to be our first day over 90 degrees. I even took the wife out so she could hear the new exhaust, then on our way back the gauges all died. From all of the other symptoms it seems like it's the CEM that died, so I'll be mailing mine out to Xemodex on Monday to get the upgraded unit. Thanks guys and I'll update here with how it goes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Our 2004 XC70 had CEM issues in December, think 25*F in Pennsylvania, about 91000 miles. When questioned, the prior owner said he had a few incidents of failure/ shutdown also, thanks ! CEM sent to XeMODeX and all is well 15,000 miles and 1.5 year later.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Our 2004 XC70 had CEM issues in December, think 25*F in Pennsylvania, about 91000 miles. When questioned, the prior owner said he had a few incidents of failure/ shutdown also, thanks ! CEM sent to XeMODeX and all is well 15,000 miles and 1.5 year later.
Thanks for the info. I remembered clearing out codes a few months back from a SRS light issue from pulling the HVAC control and noticing a few other codes. I didn't think anything of it at the time since I had no other lights on and no driving issues, but now I'm pretty sure those were starting to tell me about the issue with my CEM.

I think I've decided to send in both the CEM and the DIM to have him move my data to an upgraded CEM and then do the preventative stuff he does for the DIM. The DIM might be overkill, but his work gets good reviews and I'd rather spend the money now than get stranded on the road somewhere because of if DIM issues.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What were the symptoms of having CEM failure. My 04 XC90 is begining to have sudden/sparatic brief cuts of electrical power. Once after a blip, dash lights and indicators did not come back online. When it gets wacky, I reduce electrical load and it seems to help (I think). I have checked some of the grounds on the chassis but noting bad found. All power gets briefly cut. This includes the transmission and the engine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Our 2004 XC70 had multiple codes. All were cleared and the car driven. Everything was normal. Then again incidents. We were advised to catch which message on the DIM was first displayed. We were told to expect to start changing modules until the faults did not return. I think the previous owner was probably told the same by the dealer. I took a leap of faith with advise from forum members and sent the CEM to XeMODeX. No further incidents. Not a guarantee of solving your issue, but a reference experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So here's the order of symptoms that I had with my issue:

1. Car was parked for a month waiting on suspension parts.
2. Suspension was repaired and driven on several short trips that day.
3. Took the car out at around 90 degrees F with A/C off and windows down.
4. Time was deleted off of the DIM.
5. Transmission downshifted while receiving an ABS fault/Brake Failure message.
6. DIM went dim then shut off, all gauges at 0.
7. Drove car home feeling reduced power.
8. Started car the next day, first time with nothing on the DIM,
second time it was fine.

Good news is that I got the call today that they verified a bad CEM so they are programing on of theirs and it'll be headed my way tomorrow. Best part is that I also sent in the DIM, which they verified to have no faults and refunded me the money to service it. It's a bit early to say how well this has all gone, but I'd say so far their customer service has been outstanding.

Here is a printout of the codes I pulled at the time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Update, I installed the CEM on Friday and it works great! I've already put 600 miles on the car to see the import show in Carlisle today.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Wondering how easy if at all this would be to do this "mod" to the CEM yourself if it is simply just putting on a heatsink and/or fan. I too live in LA like the original poster, and currently do get heat soak issues to the ECM/TCM box in hot ambient temps while in crazy LA traffic. It's usually the same codes, a P2127 and also have gotten a P0507 as well with no actual idle issues physically occurring. I did once get a CEM fault code indicating that the ECU box fan had failed on one single operation cycle. That fan DOES work, but I sometimes doubt it's true effectiveness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CEM radiators and Fan

Want attach solution sample, to reproduce you wlll need:

1. Flash renewal to brand new AB28F400B5B80 preferable (with data transfer form original one).
2. CPU soldering points renewal.
3. Heatsink installation - You can buy bigger one and cut it for proper fit. 9mm height.
4. ~8 Extra holes in EMI shield, 2 on each side, I've drilled 2mm.
5. 40x40x20 Fan, little bit offsetted so air can flow back and also goes through top part of the PCB
6. 9V voltage regulation for silent work - L7809ABV . I do install it after Fan so air flows and cools it down, Soldering points - GND is from PCB (wire can be put from bottom, behind back of PCB and to the top - there are several good points, it's middles of two top side sockets on each side), +12V You can get form fuel pump relay or from CEM PCB top-middle socket have 4 points with +12 after ignition ON. Secure solder points with water-resistant coating and it'll be bombproof.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.