SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P2 manual transmission intermittent "no crank"

Car is a late 2001 built Volvo V70 T5 manual trnamsission (2001 Volvo V70 T5M). Its been having an intermittant no crank condition. Dash lights come up fine, fuel pump starts, but turning to the crank poistion does not cause any cranking whatsoever.

Last time this happneed I replaced the battery and the problem seemed to go away, now its back again.

When it is like this the car can be push started/pop started just fine.

Items I've found so far are:
1.) blade terminal for starter solenoid might be corroded (thanks to Joe, a Volvo tech on volvofourms)
2.) Starter relay on its way out (will swpa A/C relay in to see if it fixed)
3.) Clutch interlock of some kind (first time it happneded it started working again after trying several times)
4.) immoblizer problem (not sure if this could cause a no crank).

Any ideas or troubleshooting guidance appreciated.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Go get the codes pulled, if it's the clutch position switch there will be a code for it. Also, if the cruise control still works (don't believe just the light, actually try to set the cruise and see if it holds speed for more than 30 seconds) then it's not the clutch position switch.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
How's the trouble shooting going?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The last time this acted up, about a month ago, I put a brand new Volvo battery in it. Seemed to fix it at the time.

Tried it this afternoon, with switching around both pairs of relays, no help (no crank).
The message center did indicate an immobilizer related problem. Push started it and drove it home. Later this evening I tried it again, still no crank (and no immobilizer related message).

Tonight I ran the OBD II codes, nothing but the P0442 I've been having that I think is the J hose leak. Tried to reach the leads on the front of the starter - perhaps this is better done from underneath (remove bottom panel)?

Tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes then locking / unlocking several times with the keyfob, still no crank.

Push started it again, took it down a major road and set the cruise control, no problems for several minutes of cruising, cut out properly when clutch pushed in.

Drove it home, parked it, then tried it a minute later - no crank. Tried it one more time and surprise - it cranked and started. Five times in a row now it worked, and the last one after letting it sit for 20 minutes.

I bought a new immobilizer antenna but have not tried that yet. Thank you all for the suggestions. The ring around the key is lighting up as I go from position o to 1 and II, then goes out at III (crank position) whether or not its cranking ot not.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the problem has surfaced again. Any suggestions? Is the solenoid wire a known failure point on these cars? I noticed Teppers indicating they had to replace the starter wiring on Volvos of this vintage - not sure if he's referring to the main (2 gauge I think) cable from the relay box, or the solenoid wire, ot both.

I can throw the new immobliser ring in there, but to my understnaind when they go bad they won't light up. Mine still lights up (see decription above)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In case it might help somone - car did it yet again, and, perhaps handily, did not want to push start. I reached under the intake and wiggled the wires around that attach to the soldoid - and it cranked/started! Spent last Saturday taking off all the intercooler piping and cooling fan in order to clean off the contact tab and crimp connector with electrical conact claner and fin emery cloth, followed by liberal dieletric grease and reassembly. Will see if this fixes the problem.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks for updating the thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts