SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've been working on a total "bare metal" restoration of my 1968 p1800 for about a year and a half now. The info from the members of SS has been invaluable. Thanks! After encouragement from a couple of my friends, I decided to start this build thread to document my progress and get further insight from the experts on the forum. However, i would rather be working on the car than posting on the web so bare with me if i dont update often...

I have always tinkered around with my cars and can do basic mechanic work and body repair but i wanted to learn what it takes to do a full restoration. The p1800 fit my criteria perfectly for my first project. Relatively rare car but with available parts, good looking & relatively inexpensive (compared to other european cars).

I started off by getting a "barn find" volvo which was located in Malibu, CA. Unfortunately, the car was next to the barn, not in the barn. It was rather weather beaten and hadnt been driven in 20yrs but all the parts seemed to be there and it didnt appear that rusty overall. After draging it out of the field (brakes were locked up), and loading it on the trailer, I took her home. After initial inspection she was christened "Project BLACK WIDOW". Why? Because after getting it in my garage, we discovered that she was infested with black widow spiders! Needless to say, fumigation was the first order of business!

My plan is to do a "mostly stock" rebuild with modern upgrades where it makes sense. The engine is being rebuilt with "street performance" upgrades. More on this latter. Also, as the front suspension had endured some sketchy fixes in the past, i decided to upgrade with one of Swedish Ops front ends. Waiting on Robert to deliver this, then on to wheel and tire selection... Thats really about all the major non-stock items planned.

Im going to try and upload a lot of photos over the next few weeks showing how things have progressed. Hope you find it interesting, i've learned a lot so far...

Diamond in the rough...

Spider spray in trunk

Work begins!

Engine bay

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The media blasting of the body went well. It did reveal several hidden but luckily small rust problems. Also, the tail if the car looks to have been in an accident and crudely repaired and fixed with a lot of body filler. Overall, not that bad of a starting point. Let the repairs begin...

rust worm in trunk

rough rear end

repair work on rear. The grinder is my best friend...lol

replaced totally rusted out battery box

My daughter and friend seem sealing interior

Fast FWD: After many months of metal work, i was able to smooth out the lumps and bumps with a lot less body filler than was on the car before.

Time for epoxy primer...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car sure looks a lot nicer with a coat of primer. Hard part was sanding this stuff down. It really gums up the sandpaper.

After sanding down the epoxy primer and fixing more flaws, several coats of high build primer were applied and sanded. Hoping for a laser straight car ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car goes off to the professional painters. Luckily, the painter is a friend of mine and gave me a few lessons in painting cars. I can say I painted the car as I did the first coat, LOL, but i left the top coats and clear coat to him.
I went with Aston Martin Steal Blue Metallic as the color. What do you think? Pictures look a little darker than it actually is. As you can see from the first post, the car was purple when I got it, but it was originally light blue.

Sealer coat

Color!

Clear coat

Home again, now to buff it out...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Man! when you hit me with that clear coat pic, it was like "Whoa!!" Great job.. I have one I'm working on now too and I can't wait either to get to this point. I've got more welding to do than you had. I think your color choice is awesome, btw. I've already chosen my color... a non-metallic Ferrari color that's sort of in the same range as your car. Do keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Very nice!! I'm impressed you were able to save that rearend....many body shops would have just found and transplanted a new clip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man! when you hit me with that clear coat pic, it was like "Whoa!!" Great job.. I have one I'm working on now too and I can't wait either to get to this point. I've got more welding to do than you had. I think your color choice is awesome, btw. I've already chosen my color... a non-metallic Ferrari color that's sort of in the same range as your car. Do keep this thread updated.
Thanks! Pictures are actually a culmination of about a year and a half off and on of work. More welding was involved than i posted but I didnt want to bore everyone with rust pics ;). Once it's in paint, it's like a whole new project. Very satisfying. Good luck with yours, send some pics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Because the car had been sitting out side for so long, most of the chrome parts where very pitted and rusted. Some I'm having to replace, others I was able to buff out. I'm still searching for a good, close by chromer to do some pieces that are either impossible to find or too expensive to replace.

New bumper:

Saving old locks for the doors and latches

New shiny bits on car

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What to do with the rear running gear? My options were to keep the original and rebuild it, get a newer one with disc brakes or go with a ford 8.5. After talking to a lot of guys and debating what would be best with my intentions for the car, I decided to rebuild the stock one. This meant new polyurethane bushings, rebuilding drum brakes, cleaning and repainting, and going through the differential (which still looked good).

Starting point

Blasted and cleaned up

I had the usual problem removing the drums. Had to brake down and get the Volvo specific brake puller. That actually worked well.
The cylinders were shot but an easy fix. New shoes and clean up and it hopefully will provide good stopping power.

Rebuilt

Freshly painted

Installed in car

Getting revalved Bilsteins for the rear. I want to lower the car about an inch. Waiting on the front end and engine install to see how the car sits. Then I'll decide what springs to go with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most impressive! You certainly took the bull by the horns and dove right in. You give me inspiration for my car/project.

Cpt. Ron
Sacramento, CA

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got in the new wiring harness. Matching it up to the old one. Unfortunately some of my labels fell off the old one so I've ordered a color wiring diagram. I also discovered I took way too few photos of how the wiring harness actually runs through the car :facepalm: if anyone has some pics of where the harness goes through the side wall, firewall, engine bay etc that would be great!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.