SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My '64 P1800s has nearly all of the original interior fixtures and fittings. As such, for a car that is 50+ years old, the two front bucket seats are shot and the leather is crumbling, etc. My question pertains to the floor upholstery (has original red-colored carpeting), which has faded overtime due to sun exposure. The carpet is in great condition otherwise (no tears) and it is my wish not to replace it (thus keeping it as original as possible). Does anyone have any experience using a carpet dye to restore the color and if so, any insights that can be shared before I begin? Again, I am trying to keep the car as original as possible, and with no damage to the interior carpeting, I see no reason why it should be replaced.

Cheers!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the carpet weave is in good nick with no damage and just faded, it's worth restoring with vinyl and fabric spray. We did a 64 1800s which had red carpet and it came up looking like new. Pull the carpet out give it a clean and then give it a few good coats of spray and it will look like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Been there, done it on my 142E!

As noted by NZ1800E, and fgkouki, you need to clean the carpet, and clean it again and again and again. The 142 has a really short pile carpet; however, it is amazing how much sand and dirt it retains, even after going over it with a shop vac. With the carpet out of the car, I used one of those hot water style carpet shampooers that you can rent. It took me three or four repeat sessions of shampoo & allow to dry before the reclaim water in the shampooer tank was coming out clean.

I have used the vinyl / plastic paints with adhesion promoter with great success or hard & vinyl surfaces. I have never used the spray on fabric dyes, although some of the local restoration guys have had success with them. What did work for me on the carpet was Rit fabric dye. I used a couple of those oversized contractor style heavy duty garbage bags as the dying container. I premixed the dye in hot water and then dumped it into the garbage bag along with the carpets, tied the bag up tight and then sloshed it around, let it sit, sloshed it around some more, let it sit, repeat.... Its messy, particularly when it comes time to remove the carpets from the bag and let them drain. You need to be doing this outside or in an unfinished area in your house.

The dye process works well if you are looking to freshen up an existing colour or deal with fade spots. I was going from faded brown back to uniformly dark brown. Black would be a good candidate. I don't know how well it would work with light coloured carpets and I would not attempt a colour change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts