SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought my water\oil temp gauge wasnt working for some time but as I continue to fix things on the car, more things start to work. Case in point, my water\oil temp guage. The water temp seems to be working now, i see the orange ribbon rising as the car heats up and remain at a constant position. What isnt rising is the oil temp. Is there a way to test them to make sure they are both working correctly before I send it out for a costly repair? Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Craig thanks for the response! OK so the oil temp only goes up if it really gets hot. Is it safe to assume that the oil temp works since the water temp is working?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
No, you can't assume that. They are two separate gauge mechanisms in a common housing -- the work independently. You probably will not see any reading on the oil temp gauge until you've driven at sustained highway speeds for a while, so don't assume it isn't working either.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Thinking back to my long-gone '67, I seem to remember the oil temp reading about mid-scale on the highway when the car still had the original B18 with factory oil/coolant heat exchanger. Then it got a B20 with no heat exchanger, and the gauge read lower. The gauge eventually went bad and always read very high -- two laps on a track day would send it off scale, so I may not be entirely clear on all this, but I think that's how it worked.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i took my girl out last night for a midnight run. Drove for about two hours doing anywhere from 80-90 miles an hour and she ran smooth! But the oil temp didnt budge. Is there a way for me to check it by maybe heating the sensor connected to the engine block? I really dont want to send it out for repair if its working. What do you guys think? THanks again!

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Is there a way for me to check it by maybe heating the sensor connected to the engine block?
Sure, if you're really concerned you could check the sensor by unscrewing it (from the side of the oil pan, not the block, so be sure to drain it first) and putting the business end in boiling water. Based on Phil's observation I'd guess you'd want to see a midway reading from that. The old oil "cooler" was actually an oil warmer as well, and kept the oil at about the same temperature as the coolant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts