SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to me the S40/V50 platform is a little stronger than the S60R/V70R for pushing the envelope, we have a stronger, newer generation Haldex, and 2.4 l instead of 2.5 l. I have yet to hear of someone running a tune upwards of 21 psi on a P1 grenading the motor, and AWD failures seem to be nonexistant.
How far can this platform go without internal changes? I've pushed this platform farther than most,and it's totally reliable and seemingly bulletproof.
Don't get me wrong the R is an awesome car and I shopped a V70R before buying the V50. I loved the interior on the R, hated the turning radius,the V50 just felt more nimble.
I personally think the P1 platform is very sound.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
2.4 l instead of 2.5 l.
Is there something I'm missing? Or are you just stating that there is a N/A alternative as well as turbocharged?

I personally think the P1 platform is very sound.
I think you, above many others, is qualified to state that. I wasn't sure that I would be happy having the "little brother" to the R, however, I think that I am more happy than owning an R even with my limited time with the car.

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
Agree 100%

Wouldn't never own a P2 let alone modify one. The T5 S40 is the typical market placement BS that manufactures pull just like the Posrche Cayman S and the 911.

If they did a true R model S40 it would have blown the doors off the S60R in every way, same concept with the C30.

Instead they pulled the same crap as many others and to not deter from R market sales handicapped the P1.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Then ford developed the ST and the RS and pushed the engine in a correct way and now we have K16 p1's honestly aside from the magnetic suspension, what's the R have on the p1's.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Then ford developed the ST and the RS and pushed the engine in a correct way and now we have K16 p1's honestly aside from the magnetic suspension, what's the R have on the p1's.
Leg room///

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just think the P1 is a more reliable platform and seems to be easily pushed without mishap. The R's are awesome cars no doubt, they just seem to be a little more expensive to maintain and seem to be losing their value more quickly than the S40/V50/C30, I see 2004/2005 S60R's, granted with high miles, for under 6K.

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
And P1's have actually stabilized and gone up in some cases due to demand. There is a legit white AWD V50 in Seattle for sale for close to 20k. Granted that's a high asking price but the fact that a similar year R goes for half that makes me laugh.

I paid 15k for my car bout 3 years ago and could easily sell it for that or maybe a little less. Not a bad investment. Have had less than $100 in parts for repairs over that time period and have put 50k miles on her since we picked it up :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I will concede that the P1 chassis is a great chassis, better than the P2 chassis.
I will also concede that P1's have a great engine to build on.

In my mind the R's flaws give it a bit of character, and the flaws are built up on these forums, in reality the R's issues aren't as common as people would like to make you believe.

My angle gear has never leaked, collar sleeve is still in good condition, DEM in working order, slave cylinder working fine, FPS not acting up, MAF never failing, 4C never acted up, and parking brake never exploded. Sure I consider myself lucky, but you know how many other R owners I personally know that haven't had any issues either? 4. You know how many I know personally that have had issues? 1.

I encourage all of you to drive a P2R with the mods like mine, you'd be shocked at how nimble it feels with full chassis braces and slightly more power.

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
Worked for the dealer for 4 years, I saw a ton of problematic P2 R's, it's not all just the forums but I agree that the forums exploit the issues. Have to consider most that are posting are having problems, people don't post when their cars are running tip top so obviously the threads are going to be more negative than positive.

I replaced a lot of angle gears, sleeves, 4C sensors, etc which would scare me away from a P2. They aren't one of those cars you must own that out weighs the cost of ownership.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
We have a P2 (S80) here and my P1 C30.

The S80 has something the C30 (with same wheel base and legroom all round as S40 and V50) doesn't have: SPACE

Trunk: SPACE
Rear legroom: SPACE
Engine bay: SPACE
Front legroom: SPACE

Can you sit comfortably in the rear of an S40 with 2 other fully grown people for a few hunderd miles? No. Very uncomfy. Can you do so in the S80? Of course you can! ;)

Light causes shade...

The downside with the P2 is: they handle like all old Volvo concepts do: like a cruise ship. Steering is "loose". You have the feeling that your steering wheel turn ends in a pot of butter. You corner with a lot of body roll/lean. The C30 (P1) handles like a gokart compared to the P2. It has a steering which is properly connected to the front wheels. It has rear wheels which do actually do something. It drives AROUND a corner but straight on at a higher speed.

Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. We are all biased here, as we all own P1s. Driving both on a regular base, they both have things going for them.

Comfort: P2
Handling: P1
Performance: P1 AND P2
Space: P2
Price: P1
Parts: P1
Trim: P2

I'd love a P2 with the handling of a P1. Or a P1 with the luxuries of a P2.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
i dont think the p2 s80 comparison vs s40 p1 comparison its fair

at least space size wise

perhaps s60 and s40 its more comparable.....
i used to have a s60 and as far as i know rear leg room on my s40 its better, the s40 ...its just more modern (obviously) and better build .... :S
s60 interior looks a "bit" more luxurious but also more outdated
my s40 its just better then the s60 ...i some times missed the beefier look of the s60 but oh well.....

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
Interesting, never actually heard someone say that bout the steering. My car feels unbelievably good considering it's EPS steering.

I think a rear sway bar, some coilovers, and proper alignment and these things are autocross monsters.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Interesting, never actually heard someone say that bout the steering. My car feels unbelievably good considering it's EPS steering.

I think a rear sway bar, some coilovers, and proper alignment and these things are autocross monsters.
++

to yukikaze: remember you are comparing a "commuter car" to a "enthusiast oriented car"

still i think you can make the steering feeling better on the s40 with the upgrades available :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Leg room///
ever sit in the back of an R? there is no leg room lol

i rode in maddmatt's R, that thing is fast. love his car. the 4c is a cool thing, but like kyle said, awd, sways, coilovers and a track alignment, and your set. then you have someone built like madden, willing to bet he has far less headaches than an r built to the same numbers. the 2.4 is just not made to be much more than it is. im not saying i dont like the R in any fashion, but the p1 has greater potential.

and for the record, the R's seats.....fantastic!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Agree 100%

Wouldn't never own a P2 let alone modify one. The T5 S40 is the typical market placement BS that manufactures pull just like the Posrche Cayman S and the 911.

If they did a true R model S40 it would have blown the doors off the S60R in every way, same concept with the C30.

Instead they pulled the same crap as many others and to not deter from R market sales handicapped the P1.
I have to agree with you, which is why I opted for a base model S40. I wouldn't mind having a T5, but the 2.4i does me rather well, and with a turbo, I want to be the first owner when it comes to stuff like that--but at the asking price...not gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Yay! Some P2 people showed up!

and the flaws are built up on these forums, in reality the R's issues aren't as common as people would like to make you believe.

My angle gear has never leaked, collar sleeve is still in good condition, DEM in working order, slave cylinder working fine, FPS not acting up, MAF never failing, 4C never acted up, and parking brake never exploded. Sure I consider myself lucky, but you know how many other R owners I personally know that haven't had any issues either? 4. You know how many I know personally that have had issues? 1.

I encourage all of you to drive a P2R with the mods like mine, you'd be shocked at how nimble it feels with full chassis braces and slightly more power.
I like your point. Let's be honest, people come to forums very commonly to solve a problem. How often do you see someone asking a question about a problem that they can't sort out with 1-4 posts? So of course we're going to have a concentration of problems. Especially considering the mass of activity on the R section. They have 38,797 topics right now and we have 15,962.

I am also very jealous of your aftermarket. Being the flagship car definitely has its ups :(

ever sit in the back of an R? there is no leg room lol
The /// was meant to be a signal of sarcasm, I need to remember that that is not wide spread yet.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Yay! Some P2 people showed up!

I like your point. Let's be honest, people come to forums very commonly to solve a problem. How often do you see someone asking a question about a problem that they can't sort out with 1-4 posts? So of course we're going to have a concentration of problems. Especially considering the mass of activity on the R section. They have 38,797 topics right now and we have 15,962.

I am also very jealous of your aftermarket. Being the flagship car definitely has its ups :(

The /// was meant to be a signal of sarcasm, I need to remember that that is not wide spread yet.
Very sensible and respectful response, not something seen often online.

I'm jealous of the aftermarket intake manifolds and cylinder wall thickness on the T5 in the S40.

That said the R's and S40T5's are different animals, the R is designed more so for the tracks, while the S40 is designed to be more of a fun city car. The highest recorded hp ratings in an R with only bolt-on's and a tune was I believe George's R, 360awhp, which is roughly 450bhp if you account for a 20% drivetrain loss, so don't count out the R's engine, even with it's thin cylinder walls. As far as I know his R is still running in tip top shape without issues.

I've heard that the T5 in the S40 with a K16 is a monster, and honestly I'd love to experience a tuned S40. Anyone in Missouri/Illinois willing to give me that opportunity? :D

There was one a while back at a sonic car meet that I sometimes stop in on, don't think he took kindly to the presence of two R's rolling in at the same time...got shot dirty looks and he took off before I could ask him about his Volv :(

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I've heard that the T5 in the S40 with a K16 is a monster, and honestly I'd love to experience a tuned S40. Anyone in Missouri/Illinois willing to give me that opportunity? :D

There was one a while back at a sonic car meet that I sometimes stop in on, don't think he took kindly to the presence of two R's rolling in at the same time...got shot dirty looks and he took off before I could ask him about his Volv :(
that's a shame. people suck. if your ever in NJ hit me up - you can take my V for a spin.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts