SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously considering (finally) retiring my 13 year old vw for another car to back up our v50. I've had a love-hate relationship with the v50. My main complaint is that it is a bit small as the main "family" vehicle. We have 2 boys: 5 and 8 years old...and the v50 fills up fast, even for a weekend trip. So, I've been eyeing used 2007 xc70s, V70rs, and even a really nice 2010 v50.

So the question is - who has both and has lived with both a P1 and and a P2 chassis? Is a v70 or an xc70 really that much bigger in day to day operation than the v50? This v50 t5 I found is nice and I'm only hesitating because I thought I was going to get a v70 "for more space"...

The more i drive our 2.5 v50 the more I really enjoy its handling, a t5 would add more "oomph" (which would be great). Not sure, I know its a stupid question - but maybe some people here have had both and can shed light on comparing both?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I don't mean to say anything unpleasant but It always makes me smile when I hear people saying they found their vehicle too small for their family.

There are so many countries that have much smaller vehicle and sometime more kids! Everyone should just learn to carry less, more essentials, less bulk, and improve the packing method :p
I grew-up in a family of 5 with cars smaller than the V50 and I never eared my dad complained. He would find ways to pack the car and we never missed anything. When we would leave for vacation for a week he would sometime just put stuff on the roof.
I know convenience to be able to throw things any old way in a trunk with little work is nice but I can't help feel the country is taking that to an unhealthy level... bigger and bigger... where does it stop! :)

Oh well, my two cents probably out of line and unlike any other. I just like compact efficiency to the benefit of more refined and nibbled car :p

Sorry, I'm not helping. Just do as every other families would do these days, get an XC90, and call it a day :D
Actually, get a Chevrolet Tahoe, a Cadillac Escalade, or a Landrover LR4 . . . just kidding :)

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I will say for personal space, my S40's back seat is a little limiting for full size adults on long road trips.

We've had a V70 in the family and it was definitely roomy, currently my mom has a similar-in-size Passat wagon that's been more than roomy enough for people + way too much junk.

I will say that the Rs are notorious for issues that the P1s rarely face.
The V70 drives like the bigger car that it is, my S40 has a significantly better turning radius than the V70 had. I can't say how the XCs drive.
If fuel consumption matters, I think it's a given that a P1 will give you better MPGs than a P2.

Considering that you have little kids, I would go with the V50. It'll be a good number of years before they start complaining about insufficient leg room. The trunk space is pretty sufficient and you can always get a box for the roof rack for the really long trips.

When I was a kid, my parents always wanted my say on the cars we bought, simply for "if I would be okay in the back seat with my friends." I would actually encourage taking your kids to a dealership with both a V70 and a V50 and get their opinion on what they think. It already sounds like you're most happy in the driver seat of the V50.

I currently drive a P1, so of course I'm going to be biased ;) But hopefully this helps some...

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
I actually own both a P1 and P2 car, but the sedan versions so take what I write with a pinch of salt.

The S40 is only 6 inches shorter than the S60, but handles much more nimbly than its size would have you believe - like a compact. The S60 drives like a large sedan. Steering is lively on the P1, a bit numb on the P2.
If handling and nimbleness are high on your list, you won't find it on the P2. If interior space is what you are after, then the P2 platform will give you larger interior space for sure.

They are two different cars and have their own forte.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I'd echo what TG said and suggest sticking with the V50 but add a rooftop cargo box for all your stuff. I have the V50, and while my wife and I have no children, we have a large dog who takes up the entire rear area. Then we had 2 cats (down to 1 :( ) who took up 3/4 of the rear seat in their carriers. So on a road trip to the in-laws (4 hours away), we were already out of room inside, and we hadn't even packed our stuff! I picked up a Yakima Space Booster cargo carrier (which isn't even the largest available), and we are able to put everything of ours in there. Every time we travel, I literally say to someone "the cargo box is the best money I have spent in a long time!"

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The V70 I own now & the 855 I owned previously are the two best cars I've ever had, period. Zero major issues & VERY few minor issues. Kids grow & I hang on to cars for a long time so the V70 was my choice. I went basic, 5 speed, NA, minimal options, so gas mileage is almost a wash. Does the V70 handle like the P1? No way shape or form but I don't drive it that way either. Add some IPD bars, good tires & it's a very competent daily driver. The R sounds great but I couldn't justify the price, mileage, maintenance to haul kids around & take long trips. I will echo what was said above. A rooftop box is the BEST money I ever spent. Why didn't I get one sooner?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TG - no offense taken, in fact I completely agree. We prefer "small" cars....well small by american standards. I'm overseas a lot for work, you know in those countries that consider their VW golf the "family" car. So no xc90 for us ;)

I asked the question beacause when you compare quantatative stats, the v70 is not much bigger in the back seat, but I wanted a more qualitative optinion.

We have a roof box and that makes the v50 useable for trips - so thats not an issue. Our v50 is "only" the 2.4i with GT. It is primarily my wifes car, but the more I drive it, the more I like it. I think it handles great, so the t5 must be even better. I'm looking forward to the test drive.

Let me ask a different question then: our v50 does NOT have the power or even manually height adjustable passenger seat. I fit (5'-11") fine in the drivers seat since I can lower it with the power adjustments. I find that few times I am in the passenger seat, I feel "too high". Is that simply from the non-adjustable passenger seat in the v50? I'm hoping that finding a t5 v50 with the power adjustable passenger seat will fix that.

I'm currentl out test driving all kinds of stuff - the sad reality is that there are very few wagons availabel in the US, even less with a manual transmission. I've looked at a Jetta Sportwagon TDI, 4-door GTI, FIAT Abarth ;), Chevy Volt (for some reason)....but every time I drive my wife's v50 I really like it and think "hey another one wouldn't be so bad"

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hey, not sure if this helps... but I have a V50 and a 1995 855. I find that those two cars are very similar in interior size, with the 855 just edging out the V50 on "usable" cargo space. I think this is due to the squarish body of the 855.

I am planning a road trip in the V50 soon, and I will be purchasing a roof box (hard-sided cargo carrier) to haul the luggage. I like the fact that I can get 31mpg for daily use, and still drive the car when we need to haul a bunch of "stuff", like on road trips. For dirty items, I have a receiver hitch and cargo rack.

*Posted within two seconds, apparently, of the previous post... I totally agree about the seats and your thought, "another wouldn't be too bad", since I think the same thing. I'm 6'5" and I have a bit of trouble with the center rear-view in the driver's seat, with the seat fully lowered. I don't like being in the passenger seat.
If I total the 855, I'm buying another V50. Hands down. (actually, I may consider a V70...!)

·
Registered
304 Posts
The V70 feels like a larger vehicle, drives like a slug and packs a HORRIBLE turning radius - but I still find the looks over a P2 V70 much better than the V50. The 50 (if equipped well) drives soo much better than the 70.

In terms of reliability - I find the 70 has more electrical gremlins, and the 50 more reliable with minimal wear/tear issues.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
we own two V70 in the family and I find the V50 to be prettier, especially the 2009-2011

1 - 11 of 11 Posts