SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As our fine machines age, what have people been paying for a typical clutch replacement at a dealer or Indy shop? I'm trying to come up with a budget for it and so far dealers seem reluctant to give me a quote since I'm not needing to do it immediately. I'm normally up for DIY but not when it involves partially dropping the subframe and wresting the M66 loose on my garage floor. :/

Thoughts / input appreciated.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
They should be able to give you a quick quote based on hours and parts. That's stupid. Do you have another dealer local? I've got 4 somewhat near me but I'm in new york.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've called my regular one (normally pretty helpful but they're under new management) and emailed a couple others. Only two within reasonable driving distance really though (under two hours).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Parts are really not the cost here, about 70 dollars for a clutch I think. Don't know if the T5 has a DMF but if it does, check that that's still okay because you'll basically be inches from it. I did a write up of changing the DMF somewhere, all you need to get to the clutch is in there too.

The big problem is time, and what with all the digging around to get to the clutch you'll need some 6-8 man hours, you do the math.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got one of the dealers to quote me $2100 for labor, clutch kit, slave cylinder/TOB, and main seal with their standard 2yr warranty. Said the DMF normally does not need to be replaced but if it did, would be an additional $1100 for the part.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Parts are really not the cost here, about 70 dollars for a clutch I think.
Maybe this is a currency conversion issue, but no way. A clutch kit costs about $350 USD + DMF is around $900. I've been quoted as low as $1500 for install and parts and as high as $2500. Basically, it hurts (bad). You must replaced the DMF because it can't be resurfaced and with a M66 you'll want to replace the slave cyclinder.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hmm you're right, it's more expensive. Not quite $350 USD (around $250 here), but I will note that apparently you can only get a complete set with pressure plate and release bearings. Just the plate would actually be around that number is my guess, but replacing the other bits is good practice I suppose. DMF is about $300.

I have also been quoted roughly $2500 for replacement of the DMF + everything clutch. That was the point at which I just ordered parts for a grand total of $600 and just did it myself.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, 300 bucks for a DMF would be nice.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
There is one other issue when attempting to reuse a DMF. It needs to be "reset" which means basically it is compressed in a spiral fashion using a special tool. New ones come pre-set so you don't need the tool, in addition of course to being cleanly surfaced.

If you do reuse your DMF (which is indeed possible), be sure to reset it. If you attempt to just bolt it down you will ruin it, and possibly other things too.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is one other issue when attempting to reuse a DMF. It needs to be "reset" which means basically it is compressed in a spiral fashion using a special tool. New ones come pre-set so you don't need the tool, in addition of course to being cleanly surfaced.

If you do reuse your DMF (which is indeed possible), be sure to reset it. If you attempt to just bolt it down you will ruin it, and possibly other things too.
I've read it before but how does that work? As far as I know a DMF is just 2 (granted, heavy) plates with springs cushioning their radial play. What's to reset about that? The clutch plate itself has axial play (slides about a bit) and obviously the pressure plate moves in and out, which I can imagine you do need to reset as it moves in closer as the clutchplate wears.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DMF is the flywheel, in this case, it's a Dual-Mass Flywheel... they're becoming more common it seems, and they can't be resurfaced and reused as easily as traditional solid/single mass flywheels.

As far as changing it in your garage, it has been done by a few people on here, but it sounds like more work than I'm willing to get into. If I had a chassis lift available and more space to make it all work I would be more tempted, but I just don't feel like wrestling transmissions on my back on the pavement anymore (and I'm 24.... lol). I've done a few, but I'm just done. Or so I say.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is what one dealer told me. I assume they can scuff it up with a sanding wheel (oldschool) and reset it, and reinstall. Or at least, I would rather do that than slap it in with a new clutch and do nothing to the surface.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I am in the same boat, dealer and independent shops near my house quoted me about $2200 to pull it and replace in labor, a complete clutch kit was $530 or so. They told me that they have never had to replace a slave cylinder about two weeks ago, but then just now I got a call saying they had to replace it.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts