SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lazily chasing this down for about a year now. When I say lazily chasing it down I mean I'll check vacuum hoses for about 10 minutes and then ignore the problem for 4 months.

Are there common areas for these leaks to develop? My gas cap is fine and I don't see any obvious leaks. I'm going to do a smoke test if I can't track it down but before I go that far are there any common areas I should check?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not that I have seen on this forum. But if I were a bettering man I would start with a new gas cap if there in any doubt about the quality of seal you have now. Also please post the year and engine size of your XC90 (cylinder count is not enough), it maybe that you have an older vehicle that has a common failure that is found in the other Volvo models.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Oh yeah that would help, wouldn't it. 2004 T6 2.9TT engine.

Gas cap is good.
I vaguely remember over on Matthews site for the XC70 (Here is a link but not quite the one I remember) that people were having issues with the vacuum tube/ hose that would dry rot near the activated carbon canister. It was all near the rear of the vehicle. Hopefully someone else will speak up and attempt to be helpful.

Edit: Another link but not directly applicable to the XC90

Second Edit:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I found something about a J hose near the rear canister or roll-over sensor though despite searching specifically for the XC90 most of the info I'm getting is for the XC70. It must be a really big leak because I got the message for a missing fuel cap yesterday.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
277 Posts
May want to have the Volvo codes read. I was having the same issue getting that generic code with my 06 2.5T and it ended up being the Leak Diagnostic Pump. This is a common failure on this vehicle. The pump is easy to replace since it's right above the spare tire. Replaced the pump and all is good.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yeah I found something about a J hose near the rear canister or roll-over sensor though despite searching specifically for the XC90 most of the info I'm getting is for the XC70. It must be a really big leak because I got the message for a missing fuel cap yesterday.

Thanks for the help.
Yes, that hose frequently cracks/splits.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll have a look at the pump.

I did get it to pass emissions. Illinois allows you to have one system be not ready so I cleared the codes and drove around, hoping that EVAP would be the last system to report and sure enough, it was. I got it to the emissions place post haste, got my pass slip and renewed my plates. It was a ninja move!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts