SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2009 XC90 3.2. The check engine light just turned on; I read the DTCs and got P0441 Evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow. A Google search suggests that it could be several things including the purge valve / solenoid, charcoal canister, a leak in the vacuum lines connecting these components, or a loose gas cap. I checked the gas cap and it seems fine. Not sure how to go about troubleshooting further. Any advice?

There are no driveability issues; the car drives as before.

Thanks!
cinergi

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
ECM-P044100-
"The engine control module (ECM) detects a fault in the function of the EVAP valve by analyzing the signal from the pressure sensor in the induction pipe. The diagnostic trouble code is generated if the control module registers that the EVAP valve has seized.
The diagnostic trouble code can be diagnosed during EVAP control."

Additional verbiage suggests an issue in the EVAP valve itself (stuck open or close) and/or a problem with hoses on either side of the valve (valve/induction pipe, valve/canister).

VIDA is always a help with codes, see https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?481385-VIDA-Dice-2014D-VM-Image-Download-Link for information on how to get the software up and running, really encourage folks to do it as VIDA is a real fount of useful information. Adding a DICE just makes life better (there's an evap test in the fault-tracing section for this code).

May not be your issue but it's what VIDA indicates.

Good luck

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I managed to get VIDA working using the link you provided. I don't have a DICE unit (just a generic OBD2 code reader), but based on the VIDA description of P0441 it does seem like the EVAP purge valve is the most likely cause. Unfortunately, on the 3.2 engine it's quite difficult to access; the instructions in VIDA include steps to remove the crossbar and top engine mount, but this doesn't seem relevant for the 3.2 engine as those components aren't in the way. It's the intake that's in the way and might need to be removed, otherwise access to the purge valve is very tight and I'm not sure I'll be able to get the hoses off. I'll have to see.

Anyway, thanks!

-cinergi

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced the EVAP purge valve yesterday. As I expected, access was very difficult; I had to squeeze my arms into the narrow gap between the intake manifold and the radiator cooling fan. I removed the intake snorkel to give me a bit more room. The bottom hose on the EVAP valve was also very difficult to remove; I had to use a hose removal pick tool, which ended up slightly tearing the end of the hose (hopefully not enough to cause a leak). The other hose connection, which uses a locking plastic quick-disconnect fitting, broke when I disconnected it, likely because the plastic became brittle with age. The hose still seems to attach securely to the new valve, but it is no longer locked in place due to the broken plastic lock (so it can be detached by pulling on it).

Overall, it was a very unpleasant job in a hard-to-reach location, and resulted in some damage to both hoses connecting to the EVAP valve. Access could be improved by removing the entire intake manifold, but that's a job by itself and requires access from below the car.

On the plus side, the check engine light hasn't come back on, so fingers crossed.

-cinergi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts