SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
4 years ago, at ~ 30K, my 2012 S60 T6 threw it's first and, until then only, CEL.

The evaporative emissions pump was determined to have failed and was replaced under warranty.

Fast forward to last week. The car just crossed 45,000 miles and threw the same code again over the holiday weekend when we were on a road trip.

I cleared the codes at a parts store and continued on my way hoping that it was a loose gas cap. It didn't make an appearance the rest of the trip. However, it returned this afternoon when I took the car out for an inspection decal.

I have VIDA and can probably test the pump myself, but I'm wondering if maybe I can get a goodwill replacement from Volvo (or at least at cost) instead of trying to tackle the replacement in my garage.

I don't have a lot of miles on the car and it is very well maintained. So much so that all fluids were replaced this spring, transmission fluid included. All miles are highway as it is our primary three day weekend and vacation car. Otherwise it sits parked with a trickle charger attached.

·
Registered
375 Posts
4 years ago, at ~ 30K, my 2012 S60 T6 threw it's first and, until then only, CEL.

The evaporative emissions pump was determined to have failed and was replaced under warranty.

Fast forward to last week. The car just crossed 45,000 miles and threw the same code again over the holiday weekend when we were on a road trip.

I clear the codes and continued on my way hoping that it was a loose gas cap. It didn't make an appearance the rest of the trip. However, it returned this afternoon when I took the car out for an inspection decal.

I have VIDA and can probably test the pump myself, but I'm wondering if maybe I can get a goodwill replacement from Volvo (or at least at cost) instead of trying to tackle the replacement in my garage.

I don't have a lot of miles on the car and it is very well maintained. So much so that all fluids were replaced this spring, transmission fluid included. All miles are highway as it is our primary three day weekend and vacation car. Otherwise it sits parked with a trickle charger attached.
Perhaps Volvo's lifetime parts and labor warranty is applicable here. Was the work done after June 1 2015?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lifetime warranty applies to repairs you paid for, not repairs under warranty.
What's the difference? Crappy part is crappy part. :/

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Never said there was a difference. Just clarifying the rules of the lifetime parts warranty. It specifies that right on the page linked above.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup. In the fine print.

"Note: This warranty is non-transferable. The coverage only applies to the original purchaser of the part. Proof of previous purchase and installation at an authorized Volvo dealer is necessary for coverage. This warranty does not cover parts replaced under your Volvo New Car, Certified Pre Owned or VIP Warranty. For repairs completed under these warranties you will be covered for the balance of the remaining warranty or 90 days, whichever is greater"

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Buy an LDP (Leak Detection Pump) from fcpeuro. Lifetime warranty on their parts.

I bought an LDP for my S40 last year and dropped it by accident when I was installing it with my car on a lift. So it fell about 5 feet. And cracked. And I didn't notice and installed anyway. And bent the pins on it when I forced the connector to connect even though I thought if felt more difficult than normal to connect. I have never, ever done that with a customer car but I did it on mine.

Long story short. Fcpeuro warrantied it, no questions asked. Check engine has been off since.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Certain parts of the emissions system are warrantied for 8 years - maybe worth checking with the dealer?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
If you don't get get good will, the replacement is very simple, if you don't need to replace the hoses. Pictures of the install are in this thread post below.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...60-T6-Owner!&p=7150463&viewfull=1#post7150463

No need to even lower the subframe; you call pull the bad pump out through the gaps.

Oh, and don't forget the replacement hose clamps.
There was a bulletin for the 2012s regarding softeners in the hoses that connect to the pump eventually contaminating the pump. The pump is supposed to be replaced as an assembly with updated hoses, which are crimped on. This requires the subframe to be lowered on a T6. The canister is also supposed to be replaced.

So when he had his pump replaced under warranty, they should have replaced the hoses as well. Those will not be able to be reused.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
If you don't get get good will, the replacement is very simple, if you don't need to replace the hoses. Pictures of the install are in this thread post below.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...60-T6-Owner!&p=7150463&viewfull=1#post7150463

No need to even lower the subframe; you call pull the bad pump out through the gaps.

Oh, and don't forget the replacement hose clamps.
There was a bulletin for the 2012s regarding softeners in the hoses that connect to the pump eventually breaking down the pump. The pump is supposed to be replaced as an assembly with updated hoses, which are crimped on. This requires the subframe to be lowered on AWD vehicles if I remember correctly. The canister is also supposed to be replaced.

So when he had his pump replaced under warranty, they should have replaced the hoses as well. Those will not be able to be reused.
Good to know about the TJ.

You are correct, yes, that in the replacement of the whole assembly, the subframe has to be lowered. That is addressed in my DIY.

Yes, the hoses were on with Oetiker clamps, but I just broke them off and replaced with standard hose clamps.

I don't know the history of the vehicle prior to 2017 it's always tough to know what has already been replaced and what hasn't. It could be likely that the previous owner of my vehicle had the TJ addressed and my failed pump was the updated part with the hose without the harsh volatiles. My replacement was a hopeful set and forget with the understanding that it possibly wouldn't work and that I would need to replace the whole assembly, but it's been a year and no issues at the moment, so *shrug...

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
I'm not talking about oetiker clamps. The new pump from Volvo has hoses that are a different material, not rubber. They are crimped on with no clamps and cannot be reused. So if the pump and rubber hoses were replaced with the pump with updated hoses, he will have to replace the assembly again.

Yours will likely be fine, but I don't know if the rubber hoses continue breaking down and contaminating the pump or if it eventually stops breaking down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts