SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me verify what the dealer told me is causing an intermittent CEL (P0172) / LTFT -19% and horrible mileage (16-19mpg) on my car.

First of all, it is a 2007 S40, 2.4i auto. About 99k miles, almost 100k.

So basically the car runs fine, a little vibration while idling but I believe that's just a bad motor mount which I'm planning on replacing soon.

I took it in for a complete diagnostic at the dealership and the technician told me this error was caused by two things, one was a dirty throttle body and the other was a clogged brake booster vacuum hose (part# 31201430). They wanted $600 to clean the TB and replace the hose, I told them no way. I cleaned the TB and MAF hoping that would make a difference, which it kind of did but the CEL eventually came back.

My question is, is it possible this hose is causing this? Just want to make sure this is a possibility before I buy this $100+ hose...

·
Registered
135 Posts
There are a few posts here that discuss this, i don't recall it being the brake brooster vacuum hose, rather it was the pvc hose. Unfortunately I can't seem to locate them but there were several pics of this cracked hose . I'm sure someone like pczeilon will chime in. In the meantime check out this Video and see if it might apply and is consistant with the postings on this site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think that's it, they already replaced the plastic PCV hose with a soft rubber hose a few years back. :confused:

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
8-9 Years on the Brake Lines - certainly - those aren't helping with MPG - Not pulling the Pucks Back as Eff% as when New ..
I Found just Bleeding Brakes Adding New Fluid - adds to Increase MPG ..due to Less Pad Drag . .

( Still on Stock Coils ) ?

Also Need more Info on Cars - Service Status . .
Last Time You gave the Motor a Clean out - with - Yes You Guess It - Marvel Mystery Oil . . Spark Plugs etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update. Fixed! I cleaned the throttle body and nothing changed but then I replaced the vacuum hose and CEL went away. Fuel consumption is back to normal as well. It's been 5 months since I replaced the vacuum hose and it is still going strong.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had the opportunity of working with elmonero to solve this problem and will provide a write-up to this soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts