SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'98 v70r

So i know what this code is, and what it means.. when i got the car i put my scanner on it and then when i brought it to my local volvo guy to give me a list of things that are needed on this car, sure enough he said the vacuum elbow was gone.

I figured it was that to start off with and would rather go about replacing it myself. One search i saw showed a very up close pic of it's location, but i'm not familiar enough with the engine to navigate by dead reckoning!

Could someone help me out and show me with either a quick cell-phone video or some better pics of where this elbow is, and what hose runs to it and the hose's origin?

The best thing would probably be if someone can show me from a diagram that's on http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/default.aspx

I'd rather do this myself for a couple bucks, than spend a couple hundred. The mechanic told me the cost would vary because he "may have to pull the intake off to see if there's any bits of the elbow still stuck inside" (worst case scenario).

FYI: i thought it might be on this diagram:
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/images/parts/volvo/fullsize/GR-69041.jpg

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
As you face the engine, focus on the intake manifold. If you run your hand along the extreme left side between the manifold and the Thermostate, on the end of the manifold you will find a nipple where the elbow attaches. There is only one small hard plastic hose that the elbow attaches to, as well as that nipple. I've found a small pull tie as the best way to secure it in place. Hope this helps, if you need video it will have to wait till I'm home this evening...

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
What car? If it's non-turbo, look at the left side of the intake manifold. There should be a little metal nipple popping out of it, with an elbow/rubber vacuum line attached. That dry rots a lot.

EDIT: Just realized that A - turbos have it too, and B - OP stated that it was a V70R.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
As you face the engine, focus on the intake manifold. If you run your hand along the extreme left side between the manifold and the Thermostate, on the end of the manifold you will find a nipple where the elbow attaches. There is only one small hard plastic hose that the elbow attaches to, as well as that nipple. I've found a small pull tie as the best way to secure it in place. Hope this helps, if you need video it will have to wait till I'm home this evening...
Damn it Bob, you beat me lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response, guys.. is it on that diagram link i posted? Not in a hurry at the moment because i'm still at work, and the car is at home.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Thanks for the response, guys.. is it on that diagram link i posted? Not in a hurry at the moment because i'm still at work, and the car is at home.
Nope, it's hidden, because you can't see the left side of the manifold. Trust me, it's pretty obvious....it's a metal nipple poking out. I'll try and find a pic.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The nipple is number 2 in the diagram, the elbow is not shown.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great, that photo of the hose and knowing the diagram part should help me out a lot to get started.. hopefully that'll fix it and not have to be an 02 sensor. I'll be home within an hour, so i'll look then.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep! There's my problem!

My wife can reach it with her small hands and volunteered to tackle it. We're probably also going to replace that radiator hose "since we're at it".

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
So my next questions are:

Where does this hose go to, and what's the part number for that elbow?
No-one knows, not even the volvo engineers themselves!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
NO!
I just replaced that same hose, the one pictured is too fat and the other end is larger.
(I got that hose and returned it)
I'll get you either the PN or the hose and send it to you, let me know

(BTW it took me 3 tries to get that little elbow and the problem is still not fixed, but you have to start somewhere!)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NO!
I just replaced that same hose, the one pictured is too fat and the other end is larger.
(I got that hose and returned it)
I'll get you either the PN or the hose and send it to you, let me know

(BTW it took me 3 tries to get that little elbow and the problem is still not fixed, but you have to start somewhere!)
Please do!! I'd much appreciate it. I'm usually the type to want to take pictures and document so that way maybe there could be a clearer understanding for those in need in the future.

·
Registered
138 Posts
When you change this make sure your car is cooled down! You will likely be shoving your hand in between a radiator hose and the manifold. I found out the hard way, even after letting things cool for 1/2 an hour. Long needle nose with the curved end really help with replacement.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
The other option, and simpler, is to just rout the hose to an open port on your vacuum tree. Then cap off the port on the manifold and you are good to go. That is my current setup. No running a hose all through the engine bay.

Did have cap come off once and sure enough it threw a P0172 again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts