SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post - already asking for help. Bought a 2005 S60R manual a few months ago from a friend. It's in great condition. Had it into the dealer for an insurance claim and they recommended servicing the PCV system and cleaning the throttle body. I let them do it and within two days of picking the car up from the dealer I have a bunch of problems I think are all related to the service: intermittent hesitation under constant speed and neutral throttle, less power and a new woosh sound when the turbo spools up (sounds like the wastegaste dumping air pressure), code P0101, and a large leak of mystery fluid at the transmission case. Just a guess, but I think the leak is solvent runoff from the throttle body cleaning. It has an orange tint and is light, not heavy like oil. I wiped it down the first night and it's still dripping but not as much. I think where this is going to end up is that the dealer won't help and I'll have to fix it myself. I could use some help. Are these symptoms all related to the PCV service?

·
Registered
383 Posts
The hesitation and whoosh sounds make it seem like your OTE pipe (goes over the engine from turbo to the intercooler) is loose. That will cause you to lose boost.

That red fluid I believe, is a leak in between the angle gear and the transmission. Your collar sleeve is probably loose, thus allowed excess movement and tore the seal between the transmission and angle gear. Either that or your angle gear needs a reseal but that's definitely an angle gear related leak. looks fresh and pretty big because you can actually see the droplets forming. I also don't see much residue from an existing leak. I'd hope that the dealers would let you know about it, but then again, they could have caused it.

What year is your car? Manual or auto? Welcome to the forum and to the R club where leaking angle gears are like a baptism.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Does the fluid smell really bad and is it very viscous? If so it's angle gear. Otherwise that is transmission fluid.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I can tell by looking that its a manual, and while it could be the AG or tranny seals, if a shop was putting solvents and compressed air through the PCV plumbing its possible that is something that might have washed down the back of where the engine mounts to the tranny and dripped down.

To start seeing which is it, go under the car and wipe down that mess and also try to get rid of any residues with something like brakeclean and see if it comes back. If it goes away it might have just been crap washed down there during the service, if it comes back its one of your seals are leaking.

If its leaking seals, it may not be a bad time to inspect the collar while you are in there to make sure you are not on the verge of stripping it.

As far as the P0101 goes, its a good sign there is a boost leak, and since they had to take the OTE pipe off start there to make sure they have it properly installed and clamped.

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Even my OTE pipe comes loose after a while. It's that damn v-band clamp where the pipe connects to the turbo. Check the clamp and make sure the o-ring is in.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
The v-clamp should stay tight if you are properly tightening it. You may want to inspect yours to make sure its not damaged, sometimes the welds break and one of the v sections fall out, so make sure yours looks like this . . .

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
I've already replaced it once before. In this case, the screw itself backed out. All I had to do was tighten it back up.

I probably have something causing it to loosen. I've had the seal break and the clamp come off before. New seal, new clamp now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. 2005 S60R, manual, 114k miles. Stock everything. Bought it six months ago from a friend who took good care of it.

Car was at the dealer for an insurance claim due to a run-in with a plastic bag. Bag got wrapped around the RF CV axle - tore the boot, ripped out the strut wires and ripped off the accelerometer. Insurance covered the repairs. Dealer replaced RF CV axle, strut and accelerometer and recommended PCV service. I suspect dealer caused the fluid leak because it left two spots on floor a day after the service when undercarriage had always been dry prior to trip to dealer, and they didn't recommend any other work. Would an angle gear leak be related to replacing the RF CV axle?

Leaking fluid is light, not very viscous, maybe a faint smell of GL5, but hard to tell because I cleaned it completely dry with brake cleaner before smelling it. Leak came back within 12 hours, but much less. I'll clean it again and monitor it.

I'll check the OTE pipe clamp and oring. Will P0101 clear itself when problem is fixed?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
It will clear, but it will drive like **** while it's cycling. If you find that you have any leaks, I'd get it cleared after fixing them. If you can't find a leak, then just tighten everything and clear it. See if it comes back.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
When they slid in the new passenger axle its possible that they damaged the seal right where it goes into the transmission which could create this kind of leak.

May be a blessing in disguise since if that's the case all the red is from the rust inside your disintigrating AG collar that the fluid leaking from that seal will travel through.

Good time for an AG inspection and service to be sure if that seal is leaking.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yup almost guarantee that they damaged the seal when replacing the axle. Definitely go back to them and have them fix it. Let your insurance company know as well so that they can refuse to pay until this is fixed. Luckily the dealer should have a warranty and should be willing to fix this for free.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Yep, certainly looks like an axle seal leak that is washing out the disintegrated and rusted remains of your AG collar. The AG needs to be pulled to replace that seal, so make sure its inspected, and as its likely to need to be, replaced. At 114 miles with that kind of rust in it I'd bet your AG collar splines have been worn down to nothing.

For a view of what kind of stuff might be going on in there here is a thread on the subject . . .

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-nice-things-(angle-gear-collar-failure-mode)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies and info. Dealer fixed the misaligned OTE pipe clamp and cleared P0101. Turbo is back in action. I haven't felt the engine hesitation for the last two days, so I'm letting sleeping dogs lie. Dealer said definitely a fluid leak that they may have caused by the CV axle service, but that with the miles it was probably ready to go anyway. They are giving me a break on labor to replace AG collar and seals, and replace AG and tranny fluids. As I get older I have less gumption to crawl under the car for bigger projects, so I agreed to let them do it next week. Said fluid levels are OK to drive in the meantime - I'm trusting them on that. Thanks again for the help and hopefully next time I'll post about something I'm doing myself.

·
Registered
675 Posts
To add the the AG shavings......before I replaced my collar I had a residue like that. The AG to tranny is an external connection. Did you drive it a lot of rain recently??? It very well be could be rust and water mixed together oozing out from a worn down collar

·
Registered
512 Posts
...............definitely a fluid leak that they may have caused by the CV axle service, but that with the miles it was probably ready to go anyway. They are giving me a break on labor to replace AG collar and seals, and replace AG and tranny fluids..........
maybe it is too late, but you are paying for them to fix THEIR mistake?? I'm sorry, but there is something completely wrong about that in my opinion. Having personally made this mistake before, learning the hard way to keep the CV-shaft properly aligned when sliding back into the trans such that you don't blip the seal, my opinion is that their tech screwed up and they should pay to fix it.

I could see you being proactive and buying a new collar gear/seal kit for the couple hundred bucks to be used while they're in there, but I wouldn't be forking out a dime in labor or fluid for this repair.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts