SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently been getting a check engine light nearly every day, for the past couple of weeks. I have had P0190 (scanned from a generic code reader) come on a couple times before, but resetting it kept the light away for a long while, only until recently.

The car has now starts slower, as in it takes 4-6 seconds of cranking, and I might need to try cranking twice or so. Usually if I need to crank it twice for it to start, the P0190 code will be present after starting. Or sometimes will driving at a constant speed, the light will come on with a dip of rpm and then it is perfectly fine. No dramatic engine performance reduction, and MPG is still in the high 20's.

One day was a little more severe; I reversed out of my driveway, then put it in drive to go drive forward. Once It put the car into drive, the RPM dropped to 200-300, causing the car to shake severely. I hit the gas, hoping it was only temporary, but it wasn't, and the car stalled soon afterwards. I restarted the car, and the rpm was still about 300, and still vibrating the whole car. In park, I tried to get the engine to a higher rev than 300, so I gave some gas, and it either did nothing except make things worse, or it would accelerate super slowly to 3k rpm. Restarted the car a couple of times, but I had no success until I cleared the engine light (P0089).

After I cleared the light, I have had no trouble other than the P0190 appearing each day, and slower starting.

I am confused whether I should drop it into a shop (50 miles away) or try to work on it my self. If its relatively simple I am not afraid to replace parts.
Thanks for getting this far :)

2005 2.4i 153k miles

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Sounds like a possible FPS from the described fuel issues.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Where is that located on the 2.4i?
That code very well could be a bad FPS! If you look at your intake housing, you'll see a silver rail under it running the length of the engine. The FPS is on the left side and it's black. There is a write up on the stickies about how to replace it.

If you want to check your pressure to make sure it's bad, or you're getting the right pressure, the right side has a blue cap covering a Schrader valve. Hook a fuel pressure gauge to it and start the car to check pressure.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After being quite busy, I replaced the FPS.

Slow starting got more apparent over the last few weeks, but with the replaced FPS it starts 3x as fast. No check engine code so far, thanks Mgm7890.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts