SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I just got a CEL for my FPR, but there appears to be nothing wrong. The car drives and idles fine.

I cleared the code and it stayed away until the next time I drove my car.

Fuel pressure is at 43psi at idle.

Does it sound like a failed FPR or something else?

I haven't had the time to hook up my MTE reader yet, so I only have the generic code.

·
Registered
796 Posts
43psi seems low, normal is 57-58psi. I have that code coming up routinely too and no driving issues. I checked it with VIDA and my DTC was ECM-211A - Fuel Pressure - Faulty Signal. Had it come up ever since I had my fuel pump replaced under recall...

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
My FPS was reading 128psi (CAN reader) and I had sputtering so I ordered a new FPS and replaced it, problem solved and my fuel pressure was around 48psi

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to my MTE softloader, it's a faulty signal from the FPS.

No signal low or high, just faulty.

Good thing I won one of the $50 gift certificates to FCP at the last IKEA meet!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check the connector lines to the fuel filter. On my car I had the same problem, so I decided to put on a new fuel filter and the code went away for a week ... then came back. "What the hell ... why?" So I surmised the quick release connectors move around possibly causing a minor fuel pressure fluctuation so I wrapped the fuel filter with a cut rubber hose (old 3/8" fuel line hose) and each side of the connections and secured the hose with plastic ties. The connectors are snug, problem solved. No more bloody P0089 code.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already done. Really really really really ****ing really wish I knew about the LR FPS when I replaced mine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just for everyone's benefit and for future people searching on this issue, you can get the correct Bosch FPS from Napa. It comes up on the website as $75, but I was charged $68 something in the store. It's probably a special order item in stores, and the brand on the website and box is Echlin, but that's just Napa's house rebrand for engine management parts. The part I got is the same one I have seen in pictures here that other people are getting from LR dealers, with the Bosch and Volvo logos right on the part. Will be installing tomorrow, hopefully it rids me of the intermittent p0089 code I have been getting (I only seem to get it under high-RPM boost, drive like a grandma for a day and it clears itself).

http://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=CRB2260017_0327895578

·
Registered
796 Posts
Just for everyone's benefit and for future people searching on this issue, you can get the correct Bosch FPS from Napa. It comes up on the website as $75, but I was charged $68 something in the store. It's probably a special order item in stores, and the brand on the website and box is Echlin, but that's just Napa's house rebrand for engine management parts. The part I got is the same one I have seen in pictures here that other people are getting from LR dealers, with the Bosch and Volvo logos right on the part. Will be installing tomorrow, hopefully it rids me of the intermittent p0089 code I have been getting (I only seem to get it under high-RPM boost, drive like a grandma for a day and it clears itself).

http://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=CRB2260017_0327895578
Thanks, just reserved mine online for store pickup. $73 and change after taxes.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just replaced my FPS this morning and took it for a spin this afternoon - STILL SPUTTERING/LUNGING down the road, at coast and full throttle acceleration. Exact same symptoms reported by others that was fixed by replacing the FPS, or so I believe. The car does accelorate quicker so I beleive the FPS was part of the problem but obviously not the main problem. This symptom has been slowly coming on for several weeks which makes me believe it's not electronic related, those usually come on sudden and have immediate effects on performance.

Any ideas? What's next? Fuel filter (is it in-line or in the tank?, heard both), vacuum line somewhere, fuel injectors, O2 sensor....any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try fuel system cleaner. You may need to run it through your system 4 to 5 times consecutively to get rid of the codes.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Just replaced my FPS this morning and took it for a spin this afternoon - STILL SPUTTERING/LUNGING down the road, at coast and full throttle acceleration. Exact same symptoms reported by others that was fixed by replacing the FPS, or so I believe. The car does accelorate quicker so I beleive the FPS was part of the problem but obviously not the main problem. This symptom has been slowly coming on for several weeks which makes me believe it's not electronic related, those usually come on sudden and have immediate effects on performance.

Any ideas? What's next? Fuel filter (is it in-line or in the tank?, heard both), vacuum line somewhere, fuel injectors, O2 sensor....any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Replace the MAF?

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
FWIW...I got the FPR code again after replacing one 20k ago. The next link down the line/another item that throws the code is a failing PEM. If you have an 04, it was mounted to the gas tank rather than in the trunk (05+) and prone to corrosion. A new PEM fixed mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts