SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
::Sorry for double posting in s60 and s60R sections, but need this mystery solved::

Car:
> 2008 s60 2.5t : 72,000miles : Torque App on ScanTool Bluetooth Dongle

Problem:
> I have been getting reduced MPGs and P0089 code for months now, but no stuttering even under hard pulls
> Fuel pressure in Torque App looks good (I think). 43psig at idle, ~50psig under hard pull

I have replaced:
> Fuel Pressure Sensor twice with the correct new Bosch part
> Fuel Filter
> Engine Air Filter
> Cleaned MAF
> Run one Jectron treatment through gas tank (car always gets 93 octane)

SO, I even went to the local Volvo dealer twice (Herb Gordon):
> They say it's the Fuel Pressure Sensor, not fuel pump or PEM

What's left to do??????
> Injectors
> Spark Plugs
> Replace Fuel Rail

THANKS!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
100% fuel pump fault. chek with vida for pump duty cycle i bet its too high.
I had them check the duty cycle. They didn't report the values though, but listed the code for FPS both times...

Maybe they're being lazy? I don't know how robust VIDA is. Does it check everything or do you need to request what it checks?

>> edit >>

from the 1st service receipt: the VIDA code is ECM-2900 which is Fuel Pressure Faulty Signal
from the 2nd service receipt when I said check pump duty cycle, they reported FPS fault

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
So change it

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I had them check the duty cycle. They didn't report the values though, but listed the code for FPS both times...

Maybe they're being lazy? I don't know how robust VIDA is. Does it check everything or do you need to request what it checks?

>> edit >>

from the 1st service receipt: the VIDA code is ECM-2900 which is Fuel Pressure Faulty Signal
from the 2nd service receipt when I said check pump duty cycle, they reported FPS fault
Did you pay for diag. If you did, they should have run through the test plans instead of tossing parts at the problem. If they don't know what's wrong I would demand my money back as they are incapable of properly diagnosing. VIDA is as good as it gets. It's very robust but codes only point you in a direction. It takes a technician or someone who knows what values to look for to properly diagnose. A faulty fuel pressure signal is not always a fault with the sensor. Pump could be faulty, possible PEM, high resistance in a connector or corroded pins. Time to break out fuel pressure gauges, wiring diagrams and a DVOM.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you pay for diag. If you did, they should have run through the test plans instead of tossing parts at the problem. If they don't know what's wrong I would demand my money back as they are incapable of properly diagnosing. VIDA is as good as it gets. It's very robust but codes only point you in a direction. It takes a technician or someone who knows what values to look for to properly diagnose. A faulty fuel pressure signal is not always a fault with the sensor. Pump could be faulty, possible PEM, high resistance in a connector or corroded pins. Time to break out fuel pressure gauges, wiring diagrams and a DVOM.
I did pay the $130 or so for the VIDA scan. I took it back to make them double check pump duty cycle for no charge. They have not replaced a single part...I have.

I doubt PEM failure as there are no symptoms besides CEL. I cleaned connector terminals, and torque app shows no drops in pressure reading. It is most likely the fuel pump, but being a common issue, shouldn't they check this every time this code pops up? Can I even log duty cycle with a DMM?

·
Registered
99 Posts
the code is fuel pressure regulator performance right? when they go through the test plan for your code vida will prompt or give option for checking dutycycle at idle and will also tell them it should be between this and this plus or minus this. if pump duty cycle is high that means the ecm and pem needs to run the pump at a higher duty cycle to meet the requested fuel pressure. thus the pump is failing. it will meet the proper fuel pressure but must be run at a higher duty cycle...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the code is fuel pressure regulator performance right? when they go through the test plan for your code vida will prompt or give option for checking dutycycle at idle and will also tell them it should be between this and this plus or minus this. if pump duty cycle is high that means the ecm and pem needs to run the pump at a higher duty cycle to meet the requested fuel pressure. thus the pump is failing. it will meet the proper fuel pressure but must be run at a higher duty cycle...
Thanks for the response, but I understand the system's functions, just don't have access to VIDA/DICE.

1.) I asked upon my first VIDA scan (after I replaced FPS, fuel filter, etc.) that they check the fuel pump, they said FPS or FPS signal issue; I cleaned connector interface (which looked fine).

2.) I then took it back to check duty cycle and asked for values, but the "service advisor" is there as a boundary between the techs and customers, and didn't get the values to me, but the service sheet said "Check fuel pump duty cycle", and it then reported bad FPS. I replaced the FPS again, no change.

I will return and demand the duty cycle values, but I am thinking it's pump time anyways. Now I have 1 good used FPS, and 2 brand new ones LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts