SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my V50 is have power loss and finally threw a code. P0089 and P0090. I have ordered a fuel pressure sensor and I am wondering if I should look pulling the fuel pump to inspect the filter. Anyone know of a DIY for this?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
From what I've read it could be couple of things:
- fuel pressure sensor defective
- fuel filter
- fuel pump all together
- Sensor(s) connector(s) disloge
- leak in the fuel rail or line creating a low fuel pressure conditioning

The fuel pressure sensor is costly but easily reached. That may or may not be your problem. Fuel filter isn't expensive but quite hard to reach. From what I understand it's in the pump in the fuel tank.
The pump is both hard to reach and costly.

I which I could be of more help but I have limited knowledge on the subject...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Why does the CEL shows different codes for the same problems? Like same problems on my car but p0193. I hope the FPS is the problem on my car and for guelphv50 sake his car too.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Well the code don't always point to the same thing but they may have the same cause.

the p0139 seems to indicate a faulty signal or response from the FPS
the p0080 seems to indicate wrong reading (high reading) at the exhaust valve control solenoid, what ever that is :p
and the p0090 seems to indicate that the fuel pressure signal is missing

With the combination of different codes you might be able to isolate the problem more so in theory.
I would tend to think that when you have multiple codes thrown at you it means more of a system problem such as a pump failure or leak than a sensor failure but don't take my words for it.

Here is a list of the ODB codes
I'm not sure they are all correct so once should double check as needed:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...st&highlight=OBDII+Volvo+Code+Conversion+List

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P0089 -- ECM-2900 -- Fuel pressure -- Faulty signal
P0090 -- ECM-290B -- Fuel pressure -- Signal missing

Above are the codes I pulled.

Hopefully the sensor will solve the problem.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Has your PEM been replaced and relocated under extended warranty?

·
Registered
410 Posts
If it's been replaced and relocated...it's under the carpet..under the driver's side rear passenger seat cushion. It's about the size of a thin paperback. Or you can call your dealer with your VIN # and have the service advisor check to see if the work has been done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had this very problem. My very first suggestion is to run fuel system cleaner through your system. I replaced my fps , my pem, etc etc. Ultimately running Lubromoly Jectron fuel cleaner through my fuel system about 4 times consecutively is what got rid of the codes. My 2 cents. Hope it helps save you some money.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
So my V50 is have power loss and finally threw a code. P0089 and P0090. I have ordered a fuel pressure sensor and I am wondering if I should look pulling the fuel pump to inspect the filter. Anyone know of a DIY for this?

FYI- Hey guys just had this happened to me. P0089 after dumping an entire bottle of Gumout All-in-one. Code went and light went away after refilling with Shell

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI- Hey guys just had this happened to me. P0089 after dumping an entire bottle of Gumout All-in-one. Code went and light went away after refilling with Shell
Might have been a coincidence. I was having a pretty big power drop on the highway every so often. New FPS and all was well.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Has your PEM been replaced and relocated under extended warranty?
what's the "PEM " I'm getting the p0089 & p0172 & I just replaced the sensor " bank 1 " a few months ago I replaced the FRPS I need it fixed the tags are a month expired
I just don't want to throw parts @ it also

·
Registered
410 Posts
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...tart-after-replacing-FPS&highlight=PEM+recall

PEM = (Fuel) Pump Electronic Module. In 2004.5 - 2006 S40's and V50's, the PEM was located in front of the passenger side rear wheel well, resulting in premature failure due to corrosion.

Volvo issued an extended warranty for this issue, and moved the PEM under the carpet, under the back seat/driver's side on 2007+ S40's and V50's.

Pull the back seat, pull up the carpet underneath the driver's side back seat and see if there's a playing card sized box with wires coming out of it. If not - your PEM has NOT been replaced/relocated under extended warranty.

Call your dealer and they "should" fix this at n/c to you.

Someone else might be able to send/post the TSB or Extended Warranty notice. It's in here somewhere....

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well the code don't always point to the same thing but they may have the same cause.
the p0080 seems to indicate wrong reading (high reading) at the exhaust valve control solenoid, what ever that is :p
I took Physics II last semester, they basically yakked bunch of more geeky math **** about magnetic fields. Solenoid just ELECTRONIC valve with magnetic field. Toroid = Solenoid with coil wrapped like stretching slinky around pipe to allow electricity to create magnetic field and open/close valve so fluid flows inside hollow pipe.

Index finger point straight out, direction of current flow, force in theory is always perpendicular to direction of current flow, aka force = thumb, and point middle finger down for length. Right hand rule stuff. F=ILB Sin theta. Yes, there's a B equation for solenoid, can't remember it has a Mu constant thingy, involved turns of loops, current in amps, area in meters^2, you ended up in Tesla for strength of magnetic which is B. Vectors involved cross product, which absolutely sucks.

VOLVO can't say it's a Turbo Control Valve, illogical Swedish engineers insisted it's a solenoid by Physics II logic.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Info above about PEM is basically correct. Covered for 10 years unlimited mileage. The problem is that the PEM must be diagnosed as bad by the dealer to get a replacement. A bad PEM will generally cause intermittent stalling or complete fuel pump failure. You'll have a long hard struggle trying to get it replaced without one of those symptoms.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts