SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update - I ended up going with separate winter wheels (OEM Volvo 19" Polestar rims) and 'performance winter' tires (Michel Pilot Alpin PA4) to improve traction in winter and avoid sacrificing handling in summer (by keeping summer tires and not A/S tires).

Original Post:
It's that time of year.
I need to decide which tires to get for winter here in New Jersey given we get snow and ice and summer tires can't be used in snow and ice:

Options:

1) Separate rim and tire set for winter.
19 inch rims with winter performance tires
(Michelin Alpin PA4/PA5) depending which is available in Polestar's 19" OEM tire size.

2) Use one rim and 'All Season' tire set all year long (20 inch).
I.e. Remove stock tires (great summer tires Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) and switch to All Season tires, either Continental DWS06 or Michelin Pilot A/S 3 Plus.

3) Use one rim and 'All Season' tire set all year long (19 inch).
I.e. Buy 19" rims and fit them with 'All Season' tires, either Continental DWS06 or Michelin Pilot A/S 3 Plus.

A possible fourth option (probably not necessary given we do not get a ton of snow) might be one set of rims with 'all weather' tires such as Nokian WRG4 (not to be confused with all season tires) if they have them in the right size.
These would be better in snow than all season tires but (probably) even less capable than all seasons, from a handling perspective, in non-winter. Think this option would be lowest in terms of preference and probably should be ruled out for my needs.

Open to suggestion/ feedback regarding which option you would choose!
The disadvantage to options 2 and 3 is obviously sacrificing some (how much???) handling performance (cornering especially) in non-winter weather.
The benefit to 2 and 3 is not having to 'swap' wheel + tire sets twice a year. I say "swap" since "mount" is not the right word, since the tires will already be mounted to the rims.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The Pilot Alpin PA4/5 give great dry road handling. Note that many or most Pilot Alpin in our size range do not come in the XL load range. I going on my 4th season using them with the 92 load spec with
no issues as long as you don't tow or really load the car with A LOT of weight or over inflate them (I keep them at 38psi).

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I have a separate set of 19's mounted with winter tires so the OEM 20's don't get exposed potholes, broken up pavement, etc. and provide a bit more sidewall for inevitable frost heaves. That's just my solution based on NE Ohio weather and roads I encounter. I've pondered getting a third set of wheels mounted with all weather tires for those "bridge" months of November and April where I may get some snowfall but a third set of wheels is a little crazy. I have all the tire changing equipment (jacks, impact wrench, torque wrench) so can swap a set of tires in 20 minutes.

Some of the answer depends on how much of an investment do you want to make in another set of wheels (how long you plan on owning the car). Not planning on owning the car that long would suggest just getting a decent set of all seasons and call it a day.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Pilot Alpin PA4/5 give great dry road handling. Note that many or most Pilot Alpin in our size range do not come in the XL load range. I going on my 4th season using them with the 92 load spec with
no issues as long as you don't tow or really load the car with A LOT of weight or over inflate them (I keep them at 38psi).
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I had them (Alpin PA4) on my prior car for winters and was impressed by dry handling. Snow handling was okay; better than all seasons but not that impressive.
If it were not for the hassle of switching every 6 months which increases potential for damage during switch overs at tire center /dealer, I would definitely have a separate set.

Good info regarding XL load not being available; that is too bad.

I guess every 6 months is not that bad, but if all UHP season tire handling is good enough (I do not go the track with my cars), I might be inclined to just have one set of tires for year round use.
If so, I might still get 19 inch (OEM P*) wheels though (for extra sidewall height) and sell the 20 inch OEM wheels/ tires set).

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a separate set of 19's mounted with winter tires so the OEM 20's don't get exposed potholes, broken up pavement, etc. and provide a bit more sidewall for inevitable frost heaves. That's just my solution based on NE Ohio weather and roads I encounter. I've pondered getting a third set of wheels mounted with all weather tires for those "bridge" months of November and April where I may get some snowfall but a third set of wheels is a little crazy. I have all the tire changing equipment (jacks, impact wrench, torque wrench) so can swap a set of tires in 20 minutes.

Some of the answer depends on how much of an investment do you want to make in another set of wheels (how long you plan on owning the car). Not planning on owning the car that long would suggest just getting a decent set of all seasons and call it a day.
Thanks for the feedback! Money is not a factor, but I do plan to keep the car for a while, so if the UHP will be that noticeable of a performance drop, I might have to get two sets and do the 6 month swapover like I did with my prior car.

I have the jack (beyond the return period), returned the impact wrench a while ago. I have never used the jack, ended up going to tire shop down the road (less than 10 mins away) due to fear of damaging the under carriage of my prior car at the time and found the tire shop has always done a great job. The price of the swaps was not a factor, but they do for a very reasonable price (understatement), which is an added bonus.

Will probably sell the jack and jack stands since I will likely never use them.
My tire compressor is another story; comes in handy all the time. :)

Anyway, let me read up on UHP vs summers again.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd try to get a dedicated set for winters so the summer wheels don't get nicked up from salt and sand (depends on the condition of your current 19s). The only problem with this is the limitations for what will clear the Polestar front calipers and not create any fender rubbing issues at the lip. If possible, I'd try to spring for 20s for the summer and use the 19s for winter usage (all depending on budget, availability and condition of current wheels of course). I'm not sure if the Continental DWS all seasons would do well for traction in deeper snow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am running 19"x8.5" OZ Hyper GLT wheels with 235/40R-19 PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 XL. So far so good. No rubbing that I can tell. Only had one snow day and they performed well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd try to get a dedicated set for winters so the summer wheels don't get nicked up from salt and sand (depends on the condition of your current 19s). The only problem with this is the limitations for what will clear the Polestar front calipers and not create any fender rubbing issues at the lip. If possible, I'd try to spring for 20s for the summer and use the 19s for winter usage (all depending on budget, availability and condition of current wheels of course). I'm not sure if the Continental DWS all seasons would do well for traction in deeper snow.
Absolutely - If I get separate winter tires (which I am leaning towards at this point), as noted above, I will definitely be getting separate set of rims for them since it makes swapping them easier (less risk of dismounting one set of tires, and mounting or re-balancing the other set going wrong).
Also I would get separate rims for winter anyway since I want 19" for winter. (Ideally I would have preferred 19 inch wheels for summer too. My prior sports had 19 inch stock rims; I actually liked the 18 inch after market (Neuspeed) winter rims better since they were lighter and despite being far cheaper than the factory rims looked great too).
This is what I did with my last car - two sets. I had ultra high performance summers (stock on that performance car) and bought a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 'Performance winter' tires and had them mounted on separate Neuspeed * rims (same pattern / size as OEM so did not need hub centric rings nor spacers).

The only downside to having two sets is having to change every 6 months and given the winter weather can come a month earlier or later, timing can be fun.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am running 19"x8.5" OZ Hyper GLT wheels with 235/40R-19 PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 XL. So far so good. No rubbing that I can tell. Only had one snow day and they performed well.
Thanks for the feedback! I wonder if 8.5" wide rims have 245 width tires to protect the rim?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update - At this point I think I will do the same thing I did with my prior sports car and get a separate set of tires and rims for winter.
Given the tires are a huge component in any sports car's handling performance, I think I would be disappointed if I got all seasons and be sacrificing a big part of why I bought my last car and now my Polestar - handling, the other aspects being engine performance and vehicle safety).

Now to just make sure I have the Volvo part numbers for the 19" Polestar winter wheels.
Does anyone have the model numbers for both the 2015 - 2016 and 2017 to 2018 Polestar 19 winter wheels.
Viva has both of these wheels, but no official Volvo part numbers and Tasca which is cheaper does not have photos so I want to be sure I order the right ones...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I live in NJ and run high performance all-season tires on my P* year-round and have had no issues. I am very pleased with my 245/35-20 Continental DWS06's. However, now that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are available in 245/35-20, I plan to get them when it comes time to replace my Conti's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in central NJ with the 2018 V60 P*. I got OEM wheels w Pirelli Sotto Zero from the dealer. One winter done and they are great. Granted we did not get much snow like prior winter. Nice to have two wheelsets. I THINK cheaper than mount/remove tires every 6 months...excluding the cost of entry. Certainly less scuffs/scrapes of the finish. Just had them installed last week. Dealer charged like $35. I used to do this myself but age and time...
Good call on winter set.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in central NJ with the 2018 V60 P*. I got OEM wheels w Pirelli Sotto Zero from the dealer. One winter done and they are great. Granted we did not get much snow like prior winter. Nice to have two wheelsets. I THINK cheaper than mount/remove tires every 6 months...excluding the cost of entry. Certainly less scuffs/scrapes of the finish. Just had them installed last week. Dealer charged like $35. I used to do this myself but age and time...
Good call on winter set.
Thanks! Which dealer did you get the set from and was it the older winter rims or newer style rims?

The dealer where I bought my P* (2 or even 3 other dealers are closer) has a winter wheel and tire package but with the newer more expensive winter wheels (2017/2018 design) and SottoZero II (not SZ 3).
I actually think I like the older winter wheel design / finish more (just my personal preference)...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought winter wheels and tires from dealer on Main Street in Doylestown PA. Was also where I bought the car.

Dont know if older or newer wheels. They are a grey finish throughout with P* written in the rim. No blue square. I like them as brake dust is hidden.

The pkg was listed on the Volvo site under dealer accessories.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Yes, those are the old style that OP is looking for. He should call your dealer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Bought winter wheels and tires from dealer on Main Street in Doylestown PA. Was also where I bought the car.

Dont know if older or newer wheels. They are a grey finish throughout with P* written in the rim. No blue square. I like them as brake dust is hidden.

The pkg was listed on the Volvo site under dealer accessories.
Great, thanks, let me check it out! Going to search the Volvo site for the package (if you recall the item #, let me know since I only have the item # of the newer package (dealer sent it to me when I inquired about older rim fitment); hopefully Volvo has not discontinued the package with the older wheels).
Ideally I would get the PA4 tires, but it will be more straight forward to get the rims and tire package from the dealer, rather than ordering rims and tires separately and the logistics of that, especially not knowing availability of rims from most sellers.
For example, I emailed Tasca yesterday late morning to check if they have the old rims in stock, but I have not heard back yet...

Edit / update - Been searching a while; the only thing I could find so far on Volvo's site is this and do not see the package listed:
https://assets.volvocars.com/en-ca/...tailer_kits_msrp_sellsheet_en_v6.pdf?la=en-ca

Tried this link (did several searches) on Doylestown PA dealer site and no luck (yet).
I can't find a dealer accessories link?
For instance a search on 'winter' returned less results than other searches which had thousands of hits):
https://www.doylestownvolvo.com/par...search_str=winter&page=1&page=1&page=1&page=1
10+ pages of results, but could not find them going through some of those pages.

I also emailed the dealer where I bouight the car back a moment ago to see if they can create a package for the older rim (I listed prices from Tasca for the wheel and tirerack for the tires for reference). If not , I asked them if I could bring in the tires myself (from tirerack e.g.) and order the older rims from the dealer and have them mount them, including TPMS of course).
Let's see...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Just to update this thread. I ended up getting a separate winter wheel+tire set like I had with my prior performance car.

I was able to get a nice package from a dealer for the following combination:
2015-2016 style Polestar winter rims (which look just like the original 508 HP S60 Polestar concept wheels). Wheel model is 31408850.
Michelin Alpin PA4 235/40-R19 'performance winter' tires.
(TPMS as well of course).

Love the look of the rims with my Rebel Blue S60!
Will share photos to help anyone who may be interested.

The only downside is that the wheels were back ordered for a while.

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback above!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm currently running in NH the 20's with Conti DWS -6 and it's OK, but in bad weather I don't drive my V60 Polestar anyways since I have older Subaru and Audi with winter tires already . I just bought brand new 19" Polestar wheels from the dealer (the old design) . Cost was very reasonable. In future i want to get a set of good all weather tires. I have great experience with Nokian WRG4 all weather tires, which are actually proper winter tires, that can be driven year-round , but they don't come in a size for the Polestar. They would be the best for me because I drive 5-7K miles a year so wear is not important sine I will have to replace them after 4-5 year anyway due to aging before they are worn out . If Nokian don't make in future the WRG4 in size for us I would have to buy Contintal DWS or the Michelin all season tires. Too much hassle to have two sets of tires I would rather keep my Audi with winter tires all the time .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just to update this thread. I ended up getting a separate winter wheel+tire set like I had with my prior performance car.

2015-2016 style Polestar winter rims (which look just like the original 508 HP S60 Polestar concept wheels). Wheel model is 31408850.

These are the wheels I just picked yesterday too. I waited for a while. I paid $350 per wheel and I also have a $200 rebate from Volvo. Let me know how it goes and if you are happy with the tires. I want to switch to the 19's but can find tires, that I like . I love the Nokian WRG4 , but they don't come in size for us unfortunately.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts

I like those wheels the best for this car. Can you post pics when you get a chance? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts