SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I used a 3500GPM Ozone generator on the interior of my S60R. I bought it with a hardcore smoke smell and had heard this would work. It was worth a try.

I used this model:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAP7388?keywords=enerzen 3500&qid=1444414037&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

End results - ran it for 60 mins last night. It helped enormously but the smell wasn't gone. Ran it today for 1.5 hrs (2hrs is the max on a unit like this before you run the risk of damage to interior according to a manufacturers resource), and the smoke smell is dead and gone.

I have an ozone smell now. LOL. They say re-detail and it should be gone.

Note: I did a full interior detail - cleaned headliner, shampooed carpets, full Meguiars all purpose wipe down inside. The amount of ****e that came off was stunning.

·
2,521 Posts
What is an ozone generator? What it do? I've read a lot of people use it on detailing forums but I never got the real idear of it

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It turns Oxygen into O3 (ozone). Ozone is extremely reactive, and binds to the smell causing compounds and neutralizes them.

The industrial one is dangerous flat out. If you were locked in the car with it running you would die, no joke.

That said, it actually kills the odor instead of masking it, so everywhere it goes on the car whatever stunk will actually stop doing so. Its one of the only things that actually reacts with the odor source and gets rid of it. Its usually used in apartments and hotels to get rid of the mega-nasty smells like mold and smoke and baby piss.

The only real minus is if you have a heavy infestation of smell causing crap, and you redetail it later, you can expose fresh odor causing stuff. So I'll be retreating after every detail for a while I suspect. Still, it worked GOOD.

It also didn't damage the knobs on the radio and other rubber coated parts. I was worried about that.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
There is a product that foams up, that is designed to be sprayed into all the HVAC vents in the car to remove mold and mildew smells on older AC systems. You can buy cans of it in the Parts stores right next to the rest of the AC stuff.

I used it in the 93 Civic Hatch that I had that had no AC when I bought it, and I added A/C to it using a bunch new/used Honda bits and the AC system smelled so fresh after I got it working. It cleans and disinfects the vents pretty good. You can spray it in any of the vents/inlets of the heater/AC system.

Might help with getting the smell out of the HVAC system where its pretty hard to clean normally.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put the ozone generator next to the intake vent for the AC system and set it to recirculate while at the same time running a battery charger all night to keep up with the discharge. Its a fancy digital one that will replace the losses from running the vents all night.

Seems to have killed it in the AC system too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts