SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the oxygen sensors have a life expectancy range or are they 'lifetime' ? I'd like to know if anyone has had to replace them due to malfunction, degraded performance, etc.

Has anyone replaced them and experienced improved mileage ? Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can't speak for the Volvo, as I've only had one now for 3 months. But for our other cars, a Honda and a Nissan, I've changed them out before there was CEL indicating oxygen sensor failure. I know some people will say they don't need to be changed until a CEL comes on, but I think the upstream sensor should at least be changed, as the upstream one usually controls the fuel mixture, while the downstream only monitors the CAT for failure. On the Nissan, I changed it at 75K and on the Honda at 100K. Yes, the cars ran better and got better fuel mileage or at least back to normal. I only changed the upstream sensors, on those cars.

Thinking about doing in our 06 2.5, but haven't found the location of the sensor yet. Not sure if its a pain to do.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If the O2 sensors stayed clean then they would last a life time, but since a car exhaust is rarely a clean environment , they do tend to become slow to respond and the voltage may also drift.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I just hit 85K miles and think I'll change the upstream / front sensor.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You may want to try the dealer service manager to see if they will give you a free one since it is part of the emission system. It may be worth the call, to see what they say. I think the emission system has to be covered for 10 years per EPA/CARB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts