SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a long time lurker and first time poster.

I currently own a 2006 XC90 2.5, with 153k miles on it, which I love dearly, except for the fact that she has reached that age, where she's costing me a small fortune to maintain. I have replaced the cat, as well as the oil trap (never ever again, I may break down and actually pay someone to do that next time) along with pads, rotors and a tranny flush. Shortly after the cat went out, the rear O2 sensor decided it was time to go as well. Okay no biggie, I tried the cheapie universal fit one, because that was all that was available locally, and I wanted to get it fixed sooner rather than later. It worked intermittently, meaning, the CEL would turn on and off by itself as I drove. I finally got around to ordering the correct one from FCPEuro, which was the bos-16488, and a direct fit according to the website. The first drive cycle the CEL came back on with P0140 and P0136. I was confused as to why a brand new direct fit O2 sensor would throw these codes? I checked the web and numerous sites and found that the correct Bosch O2 sensor was really bos-16682. :mad: So I ordered that one from FCPEuro, with the intent of returning the first one, except for now this new one is throwing p0036. :angryfire:

Here is the data i pulled from it:

Parameter Description
Results
ECU TCU
DTC for which Freeze Frame was stored P0036
Fuel System 1 Status Open Loop
Fuel System 2 Status Not Supported
Calculated Load Value 25.88 %
Engine Coolant Temperature 62 °C
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 0 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 0 %
Fuel Rail Pressure 372 kPa
Engine RPM 1291.5 rpm
Vehicle Speed Sensor 0 km/h
Ignition Timing Advance For #1 Cylinder -4 °
Intake Air Temperature 29 °C
Air Flow Rate From Mass Air Flow Sensor 10.19 g/s
Absolute Throttle Position 14.9 %
Time Since Engine Start 0 sec
Commanded Evaporative Purge 0 %
Barometric Pressure 99 kPa
Control Module Voltage 11.35 V
Absolute Load Value 0 %
Commanded Equivalence Ratio 1.02
Relative Throttle Position 4.31 %
Ambient Air Temperature 15 °C
Absolute Throttle Position B 14.51 %
Accelerator Pedal Position D 7.84 %
Accelerator Pedal Position E 7.06 %
Commanded Throttle Actuator 5.49 %

I'm at a loss, because I can't find anything to say definitively what is causing this. Is this MY one of the sensitive ones that need the O2 sensor from Volvo? Aren't the "Volvo" sensors made by Bosch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone in the DFW area has any good INDY shops they can recommend, I'm all ears. Especially if they are in the North DFW area.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You should look into getting Vida, or an icarsoft scanner so at least you can get the real dtc codes because the generic odb codes will sometimes not be correct and you'll end up chasing the wrong problems. It's hard to track down what your problem is without the volvo specific codes.

Can you read the actual voltage of the o2 sensors with your scan tool?

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should look into getting Vida, or an icarsoft scanner so at least you can get the real dtc codes because the generic odb codes will sometimes not be correct and you'll end up chasing the wrong problems. It's hard to track down what your problem is without the volvo specific codes.

Can you read the actual voltage of the o2 sensors with your scan tool?

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
Well, I do have Vida, but not a DICE, that's next on the list to get. I did cross reference the generic code with the Volvo list that is posted here in the forums, which reads P0036 -- ECM-223B -- Rear heated oxygen sensor, bank 1 -- Signal missing .

I don't have a clue what to check next, which is why I asked for help. I've exhausted all my availble resources, and don't want to take it to the dealer if I don't have too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I know several people have recommended a couple of sellers for the units. I just haven't gotten around to getting it yet. I have to replace my control arms as well, so it's a little further down on the list. Although it might be moving up sounds like.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts