SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,<br>I drove my car around for a couple of weeks in Europe after picking it up and noticed an interesting noise after a few days. From somewhere in the front center of the car I hear a noise that comes consistently in twos. It sounds like a hoot-hoot that is quite audible.<p>I thought at first it only happened when the AC was on but it does happen after the AC is turned off as well. Doesn't matter idling or driving but is only audible below a certain speed.<br>Anyone have any ideas??<p>Also, is the passion red only a 1 stage paint?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: owl sound in dash/engine (Big Will)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Big Will</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From somewhere in the front center of the car I hear a noise that comes consistently in twos. It sounds like a hoot-hoot that is quite audible... Anyone have any ideas??</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It's usually referred to around here as the barking dogs... an owl is a new simile. Anyway, it's common, normal, and much-debated about the actual cause; there are lots of threads on it. <A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=41029" TARGET="_blank">Here's a recent one</A>, with links to others.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the passion red only a 1 stage paint?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yep.

·
Registered
323 Posts
when you say you think it was the a.c and you turned it off... what did you turn off... only the a/c or the fan as well?<br>I only get the howling sound when the fans and/or the a/c is on<br>turn the fan completly off and its gone.<br>i put it down to climate control and it doesnt bother me at all

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Re: owl sound in dash/engine (Big Will)

mine started doing this recently.<br>at first when i sent it in, they said it was normal..<p>but i got the senior tech at my dealer to sit in the car and he agreed this was definitely not something that was acceptable.<p>sending car in to change some motor parts this week.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mullman: thanks for the link to that thread. I think that guy got the noise down exactly. <br>So my understanding is that no one knows exactly what it is but there are a number of theories. Mine seems to do it even after the whole climate system (fan and AC) is turned off.<br>We'll see

1 - 6 of 6 Posts