SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else ever get overwhelmed with all the things you need to fix on your car? I have to replace all the engine mounts, I have to replace all the brakes (pads and rotors), I need to flush the coolant system, I need to flush the brake fluid and have no where near enough funds to do any of them right now. Just needed to vent a little. Thanks for listening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
Those are all wearable items that are part of standard maintenance, I wouldn't call any of those things unexpected problems. It's just the drawback to owning older and/or higher mileage vehicles.

But maintenance lists can certainly become overwhelming and the laundry list will continue to grow. This forum has many helpful sources and articles for buying parts cheap and doing the work yourself, making the cost of ownership equal to that of modern Hondas and Toyotas. Tackle one item at a time and you'll be through the list before you know it.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Great advice. Don't fret over the long list. Pick one thing, do it, and move on to the second, third and so one. Before you know it everything will be done.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are all wearable items that are part of standard maintenance, I wouldn't call any of those things unexpected problems. It's just the drawback to owning older and/or higher mileage vehicles.

But maintenance lists can certainly become overwhelming and the laundry list will continue to grow. This forum has many helpful sources and articles for buying parts cheap and doing the work yourself, making the cost of ownership equal to that of modern Hondas and Toyotas. Tackle one item at a time and you'll be through the list before you know it.
Great advice. Don't fret over the long list. Pick one thing, do it, and move on to the second, third and so one. Before you know it everything will be done.
Thanks for the advice. I guess I just don’t know where to start. What’s most priority. I was thinking all 4 brakes first. Then move on from there. But still need to come up with $160 to do that lol. Coolant flush and engine mounts would be cheaper so I might start with one of those. I don’t know lol

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Anybody else ever get overwhelmed with all the things you need to fix on your car? I have to replace all the engine mounts, I have to replace all the brakes (pads and rotors), I need to flush the coolant system, I need to flush the brake fluid and have no where near enough funds to do any of them right now. Just needed to vent a little. Thanks for listening

All routine wear and tear maintenance. Nothing out of the normal, so celebrate the fact that otherwise, your vehicle is reliable!

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
If brakes are due for replacement, absolutely start there. That's a dangerous matter to leave unattended.

If the engine mounts are so bad that the engine is flopping around, I'd address those sooner than later. Unattended worn engine mounts can put excessive stress on other components, such as axles, which could start to lead down a more expensive path.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If brakes are due for replacement, absolutely start there. That's a dangerous matter to leave unattended.

If the engine mounts are so bad that the engine is flopping around, I'd address those sooner than later. Unattended worn engine mounts can put excessive stress on other components, such as axles, which could start to lead down a more expensive path.
Brakes are warped and super annoying when stopping. I think I’ll start there first. Not a whole lot of back pad left either. Engine mounts are starting to go. Getting vibration at idle in reverse and on inclines in drive while stopped at a light.

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
Brakes are warped and super annoying when stopping. I think I’ll start there first. Not a whole lot of back pad left either. Engine mounts are starting to go. Getting vibration at idle in reverse and on inclines in drive while stopped at a light.
If you plan to keep the car for a while, I'd strongly suggest shopping at FCPEuro for their lifetime warranty and great selection of tested OEM quality parts.
Viva Performance, iPd, and EuroSport tuning also offer prices on Genuine Volvo and aftermarket parts.
Some of these vendors occasionally offer deals on the forum, so it's worth keeping an eye out for.

Between classifieds on here, vendor group buys, and vendor discounts, I don't think I've ever paid full retail price for any of the parts on my past builds.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you plan to keep the car for a while, I'd strongly suggest shopping at FCPEuro for their lifetime warranty and great selection of tested OEM quality parts.
Viva Performance, iPd, and EuroSport tuning also offer prices on Genuine Volvo and aftermarket parts.
Some of these vendors occasionally offer deals on the forum, so it's worth keeping an eye out for.

Between classifieds on here, vendor group buys, and vendor discounts, I don't think I've ever paid full retail price for any of the parts on my past builds.
Ok thank you! I will check those websites out. I’ve ordered stuff from FCPEuro before but they are little high in price. I plan on keeping the car until it dies. I have had it for over 4 years now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also do those venders have their own forum on here so it’s easier to follow?

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
Also do those venders have their own forum on here so it’s easier to follow?
iPd is the only one who has a subforum on SwedeSpeed, which is usually pretty inactive. When most vendors have a sale or group buy to share, they share it within the subforums of applicable models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts