SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 V60RD, anybody else finding the tail getting loose easy? Been driving on slippery roads lately and found the back end would break loose in turns. The DTSC brings it back before I need to correct for it, but I was expecting understeer before oversteer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
S60 understeer with the worst of them on stock RD suspension... On high speed sweepers, with over abundance of salt, I feel that I might be getting into a very moderate neutral slide, but no oversteer ever. Describe your tires, pressure front/rear, etc...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was wondering about this too. This is my first season with ice and snow in my S60 and I was surprised to get oversteer in a few instances accelerating through corners when the intersection was icy. I am also running Michelin X-Ice 3, but on 215/50-17 instead. Also mine is just a plain stock T5 AWD. Haldex working hard?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was wondering about this too. This is my first season with ice and snow in my S60 and I was surprised to get oversteer in a few instances accelerating through corners when the intersection was icy. I am also running Michelin X-Ice 3, but on 215/50-17 instead. Also mine is just a plain stock T5 AWD. Haldex working hard?
Also my first season, also S60 T5 AWD, also X ice 3 in the same size. Also the same observation! My s60 feels pretty tail happy on snow. Stability control makes it very easily controllable, it's a breeze. Not once I felt unsafe. I actually find it enjoyable :) But I second everything you said! I'm surprised how easy it is to get the rear sliding!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am able to get my s60 RD to oversteer if I really want to. It also will kick the back end out with these cold temps if you don't have the proper tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the blizzaks 225/50/17 they hook up real well but just like the others have said rear end does brake lose easily. Can easily be kept under control but does easily brake lose in the snow. Car does feel real stable as long as u r easy on the gas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The 'snow' tuning on the gen IV Haldex with torque vectoring could be a factor. Did a couple of surprisingly tight donuts in a snowy parking lot the other day (stock P7 A/S) - very satisfying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
So what everyone is describing here is oversteer while on power. Being that my only reference point is an RWD-derived AWD with 40/60 power distribution front to rear, I found on-power oversteer in the snow normal (and enjoyable). It also sounds different from what OP described, I thought...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oversteer under power is expected on an awd vehicle. What I experienced is oversteer during a turn at constant speed. The roads were not even, so that is probably the culprit. I might have hit a snowy patch while the front wheels were on cleared pavement. Anyway, the stability system is just wo freaking good. I got the chance of really trying out sport mode in the snow - that is another level of fun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same specs as the OP a couple pounds higher (38psi), 2011 S60 T6 X-ice 3, brand new. Easy to slide the tail out, as mentioned the car corrects and simply goes where its pointed. Turning off DTSC allows a bit more fun, but still wish I could disable it completely on occasion. Don't know how I'll go back to RWD/FWD, this is my first AWD and if they are all like this in the snow, I don't think Ill buy anything but AWD again.

·
Registered
889 Posts
So I autocrossed mine and went to Solo Nationals and put it on the podium. I played A LOT with the car to get some oversteer out of it. Stock Form, no way. Unless something is wrong I just don't see it. 2ndly it doesn't take much rear end movement before the DSTC even in sport mode grabs the brakes pretty hard on you. In order to get mine to "oversteer" and when I say oversteer I had to drive it carefully to not loose lap time from it grabbing the brakes and ruining the lap. but I needed to get it more neutral to take some load off the front tires. The biggest issues I had with oversteer was in transitions, ie slaloms. You couldn't charge in hard and just throw the wheel into the slalom or it would step out and grab the brakes and your lap was essentially over from a time perspective. But I ran 275 front tires, Zero tow, IPD rear bar 245 rear tires and 54psi in the rear tires along with tow out. At that point I considered the car steady state neutral and transitionally loose. I also shoved and pushed for every .1 of camber I could get out of the front.

·
Registered
889 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Good stuff! Calm these hands down... Smooth smooth smooth!
On soft cars you use the fast hands to upset the thing to get it to do things it doesn't want to do. I'm running a modded BRZ this year and it benefits greatly from slow smooth hands. The Volvo and the WRX I ran last year liked you to be mean to them.

Here is the BRZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBA1pvpQXpk

·
Registered
889 Posts
Watching these two videos back to back is hilariously entertaining with sound off: no surprise that BRZ looks a lot more twitchy, I suppose, but if you can't hear the tires, S60 looks unbelievably drama free. Hard to believe how fast it truly is.
You have to remember the S60 was in stock class, The BRZ is in a quite modified class. It makes 191whp , weights like 2500lbs has 17x9's with 255 tires and KW Clubsports (which I think are junk, and we are putting Ohlins on it as I speak) and control arms changed, and sway bars and diff mounts etc etc etc. It's quite modified. Has -3.5 camber up front. I'm taking it to roebling road in savannah this weekend. Hoping it's run a sub 1:20 there.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You have to remember the S60 was in stock class, The BRZ is in a quite modified class. It makes 191whp , weights like 2500lbs has 17x9's with 255 tires and KW Clubsports (which I think are junk, and we are putting Ohlins on it as I speak) and control arms changed, and sway bars and diff mounts etc etc etc. It's quite modified. Has -3.5 camber up front. I'm taking it to roebling road in savannah this weekend. Hoping it's run a sub 1:20 there.
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts