SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: No experiences are alike; we have our own unique stories to tell about our adventures and misadventures. I am by no means saying that whatever happened to our trip would happen to each and every future OSD customers. I will be telling the story as accurate and unbiased as I can, I will also be giving some advice based on our experience. Some names were changed to protect the identities of the people involved. So lets start shall we?

Our small Honda Fit is getting - well for the lack of a better word “tinier" for a growing family of 4 and is in badly need of an upgrade. So we went to the ‘ 15 Chicago Auto Show and the first thing we saw was the all-new Volvo XC90. It was gorgeous! I was already doing a lot of reading about this vehicle so I secretly tried not to tell my wife about Volvo’s overseas program and tricked her into taking a seat inside the car. She fell in love with the it right away. When suddenly this lady told us all about the bells and whistles of the car plus the wonderful Overseas Delivery Program! BINGO!!! My wife’s eyes lit up. She always wanted to go to Europe and upon hearing that Volvo’s going to pay for it and so much more - we became hooked!

To make the story short, a week passed after visiting a dealership we signed up for the program. Another few months passed; bags were packed, hotels were booked, a very detailed set-up of our itineraries were made and we’re flying to Sweden, the first stop in our 14-day vacation/honeymoon, leaving the kids at home to fend for themselves while we get to enjoy the wonders of Scandinavia and of course our brand new car. (Just kidding! We left them with my Mom)

We landed in Stockholm, spent a day there. The next day we took the train going to Gothenburg (or as the locals would say yeo-tee-bor-yee... god I love saying that!) to finally see the car and spend our free hotel accommodation at Radisson Blu. We arrived in the city around 17:30 so we decided to walk and explore the city - we went to Haga first.

Third day on our trip started early, our driver picked us up around 08:00 to finally see the car we ordered. The cabbie (No limo service for us. I think it’s because they only have one limo and only the lucky Asian guy gets to ride it. I’m Asian too by the way.) gave us some directions to see the beautiful Swedish countryside on our way to Oslo instead of taking the “boring” E6 highway. He also told us how bad the roads are in Norway the farther you are from the city, which is an absolute lie… the roads are magnificent, especially up in the mountains.

We we’re the first people there and was assigned to a gentleman that we’re gonna name Agentti 47. Agentti 47 gave us a run down of the car, what is this and that, gave us some papers to sign and a list of the accessories. And since we were there early he told us to go back to the hotel, pick up our stuff that we left there so after the factory tour we can drive straight to Oslo. It was a great idea because we can test drive the car and get familiarize myself with it.

When we got back to the FDC it was time for lunch. The lunch is composed of meatballs - of course and a few other things. Did the factory tour… unfortunately no cameras are allowed inside. After spending close to 6hrs we we’re on our way to our next destination. By the way we got some mud flaps installed while on the tour.

I hated driving in Oslo! It was very confusing - the roads look like a one-way street, tram tracks everywhere, people and bike in every direction and most of all parking is expensive. Don’t get me wrong, the city was fantastic. There's a lot of things to see, wished we could have tried the restaurant that serves whale meat. Anyway, we ate in a restaurant called Solsiden, it’s a hidden gem that according to the receptionist is only known by the locales.

Fourth day of our tour and with less than 4hrs of driving - the dashboard of our brand new car had the engine light turned on

This is our first encounter with the dreaded malfunction indicator light: “This symbol will illuminate if there is a fault in the emissions control system, If this happens, please have your vehicle checked by a trained and qualified Volvo service technician as soon as possible.”

So we referred to the small booklet that was given to us and called the Volvo Assistance Europe in Norway - 800-34-590 Toll-Free! The agent who answered the phone didn’t even know what the Overseas Delivery Program and we spent 90% of the call explaining what that is and trying our best to not be transferred to a different department. Oh I forgot! You guys know the reason for our call? We just wanted to know where the nearest dealership was from our location.

You guys might be asking, why on earth didn’t we just use our phone to find it. First off, we have T-Mobile and our plan includes free web-browsing with unlimited data outside the US. That’s a great plan stupid why didn’t you use the internet then? Well the free internet sucks! It’s only dial-up speed quality. We would have needed to pay additional $50 for 7days to get high-speed internet. Not cheap!

Our conversation has ended before Google Maps knew where the closest shop was. So first piece of advice if you’re going to Norway, the place has a good cellphone coverage almost everywhere… you just need to have a fast internet service to take advantage of that. As for the Euro maps that was installed in the car, well she wanted a very specific address so unless it’s a famous place or whatnot the goddamn GPS couldn’t give us the address of the closest shop. So fast forward 5hrs later we were told that a cable in the transmission was not connected properly. What cable that is or where exactly that is connected we have no idea. All we know is that it’s already 16:30 and we wanted to get out of there as soon as possible because we still have a close to 9hr drive NON-STOP from Oslo to Averøy, Norway. The car was fixed, software updated and test driven by a Volvo technician or mechanic so we were somehow confident that that was just a fluke; A minor hiccup for a brand new car. Off we go! Nothing beats exploring Norway than to drive through its winding roads, beautiful mountains and lovely views. Everything was going well and my wife and I were so thrilled to have seen a lot of wonderful scenery until around 00:00 we encounter a road closure. It’s not uncommon for roads, bridges and tunnels to be closed in Norway especially during the winter but in our case a bridge was closed due to a construction and will be open around 06:00.

We were given an option by the guy who was guarding the road block to just pulled over on the side of the road, sleep in our car and wait until 06:00 OR turn back and make a detour through the town of Nerskogen going to Surnadal and from there we should be a few hours away from the town of Halsanaustan where we could catch a ferry going to Kanestraum then to our final destination Averøy. After a very tiresome argument with my wife I decided to take the detour, drove through the countryside with nothing but a very slow Google Maps/installed European maps (that seem to be messed up because both of 'em kept asking us to turn around) to guide us and the headlight of our car to light the way. This is where the Active-Bending light shines. It was pitch black darkness, you can only see the road in front of you and nothing else. It was very eerie. Winds blowing hard and it will rain every few minutes or so then it’ll stop.

We could tell that sometimes we would be close to the cliffs and no one would say a word since we’re both pissed at that time and didn’t wanna bother scaring the hell out of one another. Imagine the opening scene of The Shining… at night! It was a very, very scary experience.

We reached Halsanaustan around 03:30 and took the ferry going to Kanestraum. Another 2hr passed and we made it to Atlanterhavsveien Sjøstuer. I rented a small cabin there unfortunately for us we only stayed there to catch a few hours of nap. Wished we could have stayed longer but thanks to the stupid transmission problem and the road closure we didn’t get to enjoy the lovely cabin that we rented.

Okay, again people are going to ask; why didn’t they cancelled the reservation and stayed until the bridge opens?

The answer is, I can’t… the guy who owned the cabin and I were already exchanging emails for a month, way before our arrival in Norway. I emailed him when we were in the shop while the car was being fixed saying that we would be a bit late. By the time we were driving to the detour I was actually thinking of telling him to just cancel the reservation but when I checked my phone I saw an email from him saying “Hi, your apartments is open and the light is switch on. House No. X! Please be quite, your neighbor sleeping :) The key hanging inside." Dammit!!! I was brought up in a culture where in the worst thing that could happened to you is to “lose face”. How could I say to this kind gentleman that sorry buddy no can do?

That’s one of the reason I decided to go through the detour and one more thing, I try to stick to the plan. Remember when I said "a very detailed set-up of our itineraries were made” - it’s very detailed that I made the plan months ahead and update it as often as possible. I don’t want a few setbacks to stop us from getting to where we’re supposed to be. So blame me for all I care but you can’t deny the fact that things would have been different if we didn’t spent 4hrs in the shop.

Moving forward, while we’re driving through the world’s longest road tunnel the car suddenly jerked forward. Initially I thought I was on manual and accidentally shifted downward causing the engine to throttle up. So I pressed the brake and that’s when I notice the car was trying to rev up even though my foot wasn't on the gas pedal, I also noticed that the engine malfunction light is on again. Now, I’m trying my best to keep calm… so I told my wife that the engine light is on again without telling her that the car is trying to accelerate by itself. We made it passed the tunnel and thankfully there was no car in front of us. We stopped in a gas station just right by the entrance of Lærdalstunnelen. By now we were in Aurland.

So now my wife knew about the problem and she saw how the car behaves. We called the Volvo Assistance Europe number again - and again same thing happened. There was a lot of push backs from the female agent who answered the call, like she doesn’t wanna handle the call because she thought we’re calling the wrong number. Again she doesn’t know what the Overseas Delivery Program is and again we are trying to explain ourselves to a very incompetent agent. Incompetent is a harsh word but really the lady doesn’t know what she’s doing.

She argued with my wife on things like name of the place (which is hard to pronounce), we tried to spell it out but she seems to be having a hard time understanding English. She kept on asking where we were even though we already told her the location. She kept on saying that she couldn’t locate the car using the VOC, as we are not registered… well of course the Volvo on Call service is off in Europe (this is something we didn’t know until we notice it while were driving the car). So to help her find us I told her if we can give her our coordinates, she told us she couldn’t use it. She put us on hold, then another hold and another and another. She’s doing it because it looks like she was asking her colleague or maybe her boss questions because she don’t know SH**!!! Okay I’m just assuming this based on my very own experience in working in a call center… so don’t take me seriously here but c’mon, she keeps on putting us on hold time and time and again, what could she be doing?

We're so frustrated by this time and so exasperated that our patience with her is running out. Finally she was able to understand where we are and so we asked her where is the nearest shop, she then blurted out this; “I’m going to check GOOGLE MAPS…” WTF??? ASOSDCIWERNWVUIHQW!!! GRRRRRR!!! I almost slammed my head to the steering wheel in anger because after all this she was actually using Google Maps and if she really knows what she’s doing then she would know that you can use coordinates to pin point a certain spot using the search tab in Google f****ng Maps.

We have wasted a lot of time talking to this person to learn that the closest dealership to us is an hour and 45mins away. So now we decided to drive back into the tunnel and make our way to a ferry to cross the river to the shop because we are going nowhere with this lady. So we were about to enter the tunnel together with a few cars in front of us and the car throttling by itself, my foot placed firmly on the brakes it suddenly revved up to 4000 rpm. Now my wife felt how unsafe that car was that she asked me to go back to the gas station and call for a tow truck.

Again, people will ask why take the risk if the car was doing that already? Why drive it? Simple, we don’t wanna be stuck there in a gas station that probably closes around 18:00. We wanted to continue our journey or so we thought we could. The agent didn’t even ask us if we wanted to have the car towed, we weren’t given any options and since she clearly doesn’t know what she was doing it’s safe to say that we are better off deciding on our own. Anyway, we called back the roadside assistance number and were told that a tow truck is on it’s way just give it 30mins. Three hours passed and still nothing. We called again and was told that for these two previous calls there was no log or no history of any calls made by us. WOW! Really that was the only word I could think of to describe it.

So again to make the story short, a tow truck was sent and we ended up in Sogndal, Norway; 464km (288miles) away from our next destination.

We arrived in Sogndal around 16:30 when the shop is already closed. The tow truck driver told us there’s 2 hotels close by and we can probably stay there. There’s also a car rental company in town and we could rent a car so we could continue our journey forward. However, we don’t know what we would do with the car since we were supposed to drop it off at the factory. Our dilemma is it’s Friday and the shop is closed, they open on Monday. We are outside and trying to figure out our next step when a guy suddenly opened the gate to the garage. Thank goodness! We haven’t figured out where we should stay so my quick thinking wife sprang into action. She asked the guy, he’s name is Erik by the way, if he could take a look at the car… lucky us he said sure!

While he’s checking the car my wife called the roadside assistance again and by now she’s speaking to Gertrude, who handled our case with a sense of urgency and care. She took care of our hotel stay and the car rental. She told us that they will be calling us back for update but since every office is closed we won’t be hearing anything until Monday. Instead of making a fuzz and worrying about it we just decided to continue our trip, sleep there for a night, take the rental car, leave the car in the shop and worry about it on Monday.

Back to Erik, he told us he couldn’t diagnose the car because he’s not yet trained to handled the new XC90 but he said that it’s better to leave the car there and wait for his colleague, who is the only person trained to deal with the new XC90’s, to see what he can do. Again that’s gonna be on Monday. Emails were sent, calls were made and our journey continued...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I’m going to skip a whole lot of stuff that happened to us but by the time we got back to Gothenburg to supposedly meet with Mr. H, but the guy was on “training” so instead we met with "The Boss”.

We came early, around 09:00 to settle everything before we leave Europe the next day. We were thinking that we should be done here (the factory) before lunch so we can still explore Gothenburg one last time. The meeting came and the first thing The Boss told us was to tell her what happened because she was just told that morning about our request to talk to her and that she doesn’t know what happened to us. Again… WOW! But I told her I wasn’t surprised that she doesn’t know given the service we got from their roadside assistance and how the car performed, I’m actually setting my expectations very low. We talked, explained to her what happened, told her how poor the service was, that we were very disappointed with what happened, blah blah blah… She responded with apologies, promised us that she will personally handle it but we’ll be talking to her colleague Mr. H. (hmmm…), that they will make sure the car will be in “pristine and brand new condition”, that they won’t let that happened to us and a whole lot of apologies again together with what I felt was empty promises (I’ll explain later). I told her that I wanted to get a written assurance that they will do whatever is needed to fix the car, updates and full report of everything that was done to the car, list of everything we have talked about (like the promises she made).

She offered us a dinner and that if we want they would pay for our hotel blah, blah, blah… at first we didn’t say sure or please do because we didn’t wanna demand something like that but after talking to my wife I decided to ask for a Gothenburg City Pass for two and take her offer of a dinner in Radisson Blu. I was thinking this is the least they can do for us for wasting our day. Bad call! I know, I know, you guys are going to ask again; why didn’t we ask for a compensation and/or ask to take the car back? Well we have talked about it and my wife and I decided that if they offered to take back the car then that’s gonna be fine with us, if they offer to give us a new one or whatever compensation they can provide we’ll take it. But there was none except for a dinner and a 1-day Gothenburg pass.

Looking back at it, there wasn’t anything significant that was given to us to compensate for everything that happened to us. Let me break it down:

1. We wasted a lot of time calling 3 different department who doesn’t even coordinate with each other on how to resolve the issue. We were the ones who did the coordinating ourselves. Volvo’s resolution: Apologies
2. Missing one of the highlights of our trip; going to see Kjeragbolten. Now we’ll have to wait 5 or more years to make it happen. Wasn’t able to enjoy our stay at Atlanterhavsveien Sjøstuer. Volvo’s resolution: Apologies
3. The undue stress associated dealing with a very unreliable and unsafe car. Volvo’s resolution: Apologies

We have been very patient with what happened, didn’t even once raised my voice to anyone we’ve dealt with and yet we experienced the worst (probably the first and only) Volvo Brand Experience.

My wife and I were thinking that if only we demanded that they make things right for us we would have gotten somewhere. People gotta understand that culturally we are not very demanding and instead tend to brush aside all the negative things we experienced with others, we try to avoid conflict and unfortunately they have taken advantage of this - not us per se, but our attitudes. Now why would I say that? Do I have proof? I say YES! A very reliable person working/who worked for/with Volvo told us that if we were Americans we would have been given a very different treatment. I’m pretty sure a lot of you know the reason why, no offense but we were told that Americans would have complained right away and would have not settled for anything less. We were even told that it’s our right to demand nothing less and now I know why.

There’s a lot of things I may have missed but feel free to ask me or if you read something that you don’t agree on please let me know. This is the few outlet I have because not all people would understand what the Overseas Delivery Program is all about.

I just wanna say that I am not ripping off Volvo, the truth is we (my wife and I) are the ones being ripped off by the company. We are the one paying a fortune for a, let me quote The Boss here, “state-of-the-art” car that gave us headaches.

I know a lot of owners are happy with their orders, they got an amazing treatment and I won’t argue with that. I’m pretty sure 99% of them experience that. Good for them! I just wanted to share our story since I haven’t read anything close to what we’ve experience anywhere online. And I’m pretty sure that a lot of people will find a hard time believing everything I said about our experience. That’s totally fine too, but ask yourselves a question if I was just trolling around then why would I write a very long (mini blog) post about it and waste not only your time but mine. I would have been a very sick individual if that is the case. Anyway, I have proofs, notations and witnesses to back up my claims.

Now our story is not finished yet, we are still waiting for a response from Volvo regarding this. We are looking at other alternatives if things won’t go our way. I will be updating this post every now and then. So again thanks for your patience, I really appreciate it and enjoy your car… we envy you!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I think the only thing that matters now is moving forward.

When you get the car at the dealership, do all this BEFORE you leave the lot:
1) Do a full visual inspection.
2) Take it for a ride with the service manager in the vehicle.
3) Have the dealer work through the setup for Volvo on Call and get the app on your phone working before you leave.
4) Ask for the cause of the problems and what steps were taken to resolve them.

After you leave, keep track of all anomalous issues and email the service manager at your dealership AND CC the person at the FDC you talked to, assuming you have her email, describing the problem. I think its important to keep her in the loop if you can.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Sorry to hear of all your problems overseas. I would be equally as frustrated to have both car problems and logistical problems to boot. I hope they can get your car problems resolved and Volvo can make things right for all of your troubles....

·
Registered
179 Posts
I hope Volvo can appreciate that many are watching intently the outcome of your very unfortunate experience. We all know things can happen and a car is mechanical and every once in a while "one" rolls off the production line ! However, what counts now is how Volvo treats their customer (you) and either encourages us, who are Volvo owners now, to consider another Volvo or return to / try another competitor.

·
3,391 Posts
I just wanted to post and tell you how much I admire your attitude toward the situation and the way that you handled it. I envy your cultural background and respect how it has affected your ethics. You're right about Americans they (we) typically demand that things be 110% perfect and will never ever take responsibility for problems, even if they're our fault. It's a pet peeve I have about Americans culturally, and I try really hard not to conduct myself this way.

That said, Volvo definitely should have done a heck of a lot more for you. This is not an inexpensive car, and the entire purpose of OSD, from a marketing perspective, is to create brand loyalty by having complete control over your interaction with the "brand experience." They completely blew it. You'd have been better off taking delivery through a crappy second rate dealer in the USA. I sell used cars - almost all of which are over 10 years old with over 100,000 miles. If something like this happened to a customer who bought one of the cars I sell, I'd be offering all sorts of solutions. I've bought back cars, given a customer worth over twice as much as the car they originally bought, compensated customers for thousands in travel expenses, and more. Even with options like that, it usually doesn't completely satisfy the customer. And this is on $5-7000 cars, not a $60,000 brand new Volvo. As a Volvo enthusiast, knowing that this is your first interaction with the brand, it disgusts me that they handled it this way. Especially when you were so pragmatic about the situation. When I am dealing with customers, I make it a point to offer more assistance to people who are reasonable and polite.

I'm following this thread and am interested to see how things progress from here. I really hope somebody at Volvo wises up and remedies this. I personally feel that you should be offered a DIFFERENT XC90 which is better equipped as compensation for your troubles. After reading your story, if I were handling the situation as a Volvo representative, I'd invite you to order an XC90 Inscription or R-Design for the same price as your Momentum. If Volvo wants to swim with the big German luxury brands, they need to step up the customer service. This is a mess for somebody purchasing a $60,000 "flagship" product through a dedicated "brand experience." :(

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I sell used cars - almost all of which are over 10 years old with over 100,000 miles. If something like this happened to a customer who bought one of the cars I sell, I'd be offering all sorts of solutions. I've bought back cars, given a customer worth over twice as much as the car they originally bought, compensated customers for thousands in travel expenses, and more. Even with options like that, it usually doesn't completely satisfy the customer. And this is on $5-7000 cars, not a $60,000 brand new Volvo. As a Volvo enthusiast, knowing that this is your first interaction with the brand, it disgusts me that they handled it this way. Especially when you were so pragmatic about the situation. When I am dealing with customers, I make it a point to offer more assistance to people who are reasonable and polite.(
Where were you when we were looking for a second-hand SUV? hahaha! Volvo could use someone like you to handle our case.

We really appreciate those kind words. Thank you!

We keep on hearing these: "Volvo can make things right for all of your troubles". Here in the forum and outside, a lot... and I mean from almost everyone we've talked to, except Volvo, said those words to us. Right now we really don't know how serious they are in handling our case but based on the email I got today from Mr. H, Volvo has a long way to go in terms of "making things right". Just like I mentioned before on my other post, http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?236820-Engine-system-Reduced-performance, they've probably never encountered a problem like this on any OSD customers they had, so that explains why the attitude coming from them is less than stellar.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Your photo of the check engine light also has an airbag light on...but no complaint of that?
Also these cars are not cable operated and are designed not to go over stall speed when your foot is on the brake. 4k rpm would raise a major red flag for Volvo to find out what's wrong. I'm not saying you are lying at all...please don't take it like that, but anytime something is wrong even the slightest on these trucks, Volvo is neck deep in finding out what happened. Case n point, we had one of the first second row seat straps break at our dealer....they wanted detailed pictures send asap and later made it a service campaign to repair all of them...I Hope you get this resolved and enjoy your truck for years to come.

Which dealer in Chicago are you dealing with now?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Huh... didn't see that before. I guess maybe because my wife took off her seat belt to take some pictures, I remember this because I was driving then when the engine light showed up but I didn't really notice that before.

You wouldn't believe how passive Volvo was in handling our case. I was thinking the second time the car brokedown we would be receiving a lot of phone calls coming from FDC given than this was a brand new car; a car they've been promoting very well and to add to that we were doing the OSD "The Volvo Brand Experience". None of that happened. As as I've said we were the one doing the coordinating, I even had to email FDC to request a meeting with someone, anyone who would be willing to talk to us about what happened. If we were expecting some damage control, none of that happened. I wish I was making all this stuff up and exaggerating it but that's exactly what happened to us unfortunately.

Can I say the name here? Hahaha! Let's just say there's only 3 dealership around the Chicagoland area and we went to the one who pride themselves with "Every Employee is Responsible for Every Customer Experience". ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I hear ya on the lack of support on this matter, it's shocking to me though knowing how Volvo usually reacts. I worked at Volvo of Lisle for 5 years and momentum Volvo now for another 8, and never have seen Volvo be so passive.

There are two different lights for seatbelts and airbags...that light is the malfunction light, not the seatbelt light. You need to have that looked into...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh no what I meant is my wife took off her seat belt and lean over the driver seat so that probably explains why the airbag light is on. If you look closely at the lower middle part of the picture you will see the small seat belt remider light on too.

Anyway, I will let Volvo know. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
...If Volvo wants to swim with the big German luxury brands, they need to step up the customer service...
Precisely. OP, I'm very sorry that this happened to you. I am very disappointed in the way Volvo handled it, from roadside assistance folks to "the boss". My wife and I were really close to doing OSD. Seems like a good experience, as long as your car doesn't break down. As a matter of fact, this was one of my main concerns. What would happen if something went wrong with the car. Now I know. I truly hope that Volvo wakes up and compensates you fairly for what you had to go through.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
So they still don't know what is wrong with your XC90? Have you tried to contact VCNA and letting them know your experiences? Is there a lawyer you can talk to about consumer protection? I would have flipped my lid, lost my cool and demanded that they not only fix the car, replace the car, but fix my OSD experience.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Precisely. OP, I'm very sorry that this happened to you. I am very disappointed in the way Volvo handled it, from roadside assistance folks to "the boss". My wife and I were really close to doing OSD. Seems like a good experience, as long as your car doesn't break down. As a matter of fact, this was one of my main concerns. What would happen if something went wrong with the car. Now I know. I truly hope that Volvo wakes up and compensates you fairly for what you had to go through.
I know and I'm sorry if I made you changed your decision from doing the OSD. I still feel that out of the other European brands that do overseas delivery I think Volvo's offer is the best, unfortunately it's not perfect and although we are not looking for perfection I think Volvo really let us down and really didn't gave us the "Brand Experience" we're expecting from them.

So they still don't know what is wrong with your XC90? Have you tried to contact VCNA and letting them know your experiences? Is there a lawyer you can talk to about consumer protection? I would have flipped my lid, lost my cool and demanded that they not only fix the car, replace the car, but fix my OSD experience.
I don't think so and they won't give us any written report on the car. I have called a lawyer already although we haven't spoken because of conflicting schedules, maybe tomorrow my wife will be able to talk to the attorney and give them a run down of what is happening.

So here's the UPDATE; These are some of the email exchanges we had with Volvo & the insurance who handles the OSD which is SOS International. Again some names were changed to protect them from further humiliation. :D

Sept. 05, my first email after returning from Sweden:

* Hi,

We have been waiting since Thursday (Sept. 4) for any update on the car. We have spoken to "The Boss" regarding our concerns and issues with the car and it seems like everyone is very passive in dealing with the problem. We thought it was agreed upon that we will be receiving updates and email regarding the car and our overall experience, but until now there is none. None of our concerns were addressed as far as the meeting last Wednesday (Sept. 3) goes.

We feel that we are running in circles here and a text coming from "Awesome Agent", Assistance Coordinator of SOS International, proves a lot. It proves that people who handles the overseas delivery program (FDC) are too busy to even bother to make things right. Either he is lying or someone’s not doing their job or - no one really gives a damn!

Below is the message we got from Awesome Agent:

“ Hi Mrs. Joyride
We have been trying to reach you in connection to your vehicle that is located in Sogndal, Norway. The workshop has replaced the defect part in your vehicle. However, to no avail. The vehicle shows even more errror codes. The workshop does not at this point feel proficient enough to repair the vehicle. They are requesting a tow to Gothenburg. We tried several times to contact Volvo Sweden, to the point of leaving messages. The tow is costly and has to be accepted by Volvo before we start the process. We are regretful for your situation. and at present doing everything we can within our given regulations.

Sincerely Awesome Agent - SOS International. “

Volvo's reply on Sept 07:

* Dear Mr and Mrs Joyride,

Your XC90 is being repaired in Sogndal at the moment. The reason for the delay was due to that the workshop in Sogndal was waiting for instructions from the technical experts at Volvos Technical hotline.
Once the vehicle has been repaired, Volvo Assistance in Norway will arrange a driver to transport your vehicle to Gothenburg.

When your XC90 arrives here in Gothenburg we will have our most skilled and experienced technicians check your vehicle again before we book on the first available vessel to USA.

I will keep you updated on the progress of the work on your XC90.

Sincerely,
Mr. H

My reply on the same day:

* Mr. H,

I don't mean any disrespect but I don't think you've read my email thoroughly.

Awesome Agent already said that the workshop couldn't fix the car and they are waiting for a go signal from someone higher-up (maybe you?) so the car could be towed to the factory for repair.

We understand that towing the car to the factory is expensive but we believe it's the least Volvo can do.

We feel like no one is treating this matter seriously enough.

Could you at least please send the written history of the initial diagnosis and repair made on the 25th of August, today.

His reply on the same day (Note, there's still no mention of our request for any written history of the car):

* Mr and Mrs Joyride,

I can assure you that we are treating this very seriously.

I have been in contact with the Customer Service director in Norway and he has been in contact with the workshop in Sogndal.
The technical hotline from Volvo is working with the workshop in Sogndal to secure that this issue will be solved as soon as possible.
I have also informed Awesome Agent at Volvo Assistance about the actions being taken.

I will keep you updated about the progress of the work with your XC90.

I would also like to confirm the agreement made during your meeting with The Boss.

- You will receive a rental car to use in the US from the date when your XC90 was supposed to arrive at your US dealer.
- We ask you to list all expenses you faced during your Norway trip that is related to the car’s failure. These will of course be reimbursed to you by VCIC.
- Prior to the shipment of your car to the US it will be up to all our quality standards and the car will be checked by technicians in Sweden.

Please let me know if there is anything else except the above that you agreed with The Boss.

Sincerely
Mr. H

So yesterday my wife called Awesome Agent to check what is happening and she was told that OFF THE RECORD and let me quote the guy, they (SOS International) think there might be a recall from Volvo regarding "multiple faulty parts" for the new XC90 and that they might not cover the repairs since they think that Volvo already knew about this before they delivered us the car and that they are also disappointed on how Volvo respond to this case. Okay so this is off the record and may not hold any value in court since it's just a phone call and we don't record our phone calls (of course). I don't want to jump into any conclusions but I think there's something odd with this story that even the insurance is having a hard time getting a response from Volvo... hmm... I don't know.

I told my wife to email Awesome Agent instead so we have a copy of every correspondence from now on and to avoid international call fees! Hahaha!

So today my wife received an email from Awesome Agent, here's what it says:

* Dear Madam,

Thank you for your mail.

I have been informed that the case is finished on our behalf once the vehicle is repaired on
location and transported back to Gothenburg.

I have been in touch with the workshop today. In addition to changing a valve they have changed to engine control unit.
I was told that the vehicle will be finished today. And transport will to Gothenburg will find place this week-end.

Best regards / Yours sincerely

Awesome Agent

Assistance Coordinator
Technical Operations, Team Advanced

So they said the car was fixed but a few hours later my wife got this from Mr. H:

* Dear Mrs. Joyride,

I am very sorry to inform that your car has not been fixed yet.

I have been in contact with the technical experts and the remedy provided this morning seemed to solve the problem but unfortunately the problem reoccurred after a final test drive.

In the dialogue I had with Volvo Assistance in Norway this morning, I clearly explained that I will inform you and Mr Joyride as soon as we have a confirmation that the car has been repaired.
I sincerely apologize for the confusing message from Volvo Assistance.

Volvo will now send experts to Norway to handle your car.
They will be commencing the work on Monday since the workshop in Sogndal is closed during the weekend.

Once again I can assure you that we will provide you with a written repair report when your XC90 has been successfully repaired.

I will keep you updated as soon as I receive further information.

Sincerely
Mr. H

So you guys be the judge of that... just so you guys know that's not all the email we got from them but those I posted here sums up pretty much everything that is happening to our case right now. No mention of any compensation regarding the trip, no mention of any record of the car, nothing but apologies and empty promises. I'm just dumbfounded by the lack of commitment from Volvo really... whatelse can I say?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Maybe Mr. H feels upset about unable to find the right fix so far and doesn't want to talk about failed attempts technically? Or they don't actively share very technical details with customers, which I often see from car dealers or repair shops. I can at least see he is up on the repair now.

For compensation beyond the mentioned reimbursements for trip expenses I think you need to ask upfront. For example they probably don't give a new replacement without being requested.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Maybe Mr. H feels upset about unable to find the right fix so far and doesn't want to talk about failed attempts technically? Or they don't actively share very technical details with customers, which I often see from car dealers or repair shops. I can at least see he is up on the repair now.

For compensation beyond the mentioned reimbursements for trip expenses I think you need to ask upfront. For example they probably don't give a new replacement without being requested.
Why not share it? It's our right, it's our car so I don't see any reason why they choose not to do that. Honda did that when we had a problem with our transmission, why not them? Special much Volvo? :confused: Besides The Boss and us (my wife and I) already agreed on this before we left for the US so I think it's just an excuse because they know that if we have every paperwork needed for a litiga... uhm... let's just say they don't want us to have it. The end! Hahaha!

We don't think Mr. H cares about this, I think being The Boss' subordinate and according to The Boss - Mr. H reports to her directly so if anyone can pull some strings here we think it's Mr. H and his boss. But what do we know? Okay let's just give them the benefit of the doubt for now after 2 weeks of waiting for anything significant... UGH! :mad:

I forgot to include the email where we requested to be compensated, sorry for that, but they never said anything about it. It's like the words "compensation & compensate" doesn't register to them. Really, there's no mention of it, not even once. They are trying to avoid talking to us about that subject so what can we do except to just focus on the car for now and Better Call Saul later. ;)

·
Registered
770 Posts
I forgot to include the email where we requested to be compensated, sorry for that, but they never said anything about it. It's like the words "compensation & compensate" doesn't register to them. Really, there no mention of it, not even once. They are trying to avoid talking to us about that subject so what can we do except to just focus on the car for now and Better Call Saul later.
We ask you to list all expenses you faced during your Norway trip that is related to the car’s failure. These will of course be reimbursed to you by VCIC.
It sounds like your request for compensation was addressed with a request to enumerate your expenses, no? I think if you expect anything above and beyond that you're going to have to be very explicit about your expectation. I'm afraid that's invariably how this sort of negotiation goes.

I'm really sorry you have had this experience and I'm glad you have brought it to our attention. It would certainly give me second thoughts about buying a new XC90, much less investing in an OSD experience. I'm not sure how I would handle something like this but I'm sure I would be livid. I assure you I'm one of the many who will be following this closely to its conclusion.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your experiences through all of the above. I would certainly be informing Volvo that I will not be accepting delivery of this same vehicle and I'd not request but be firm and demand a new vehicle. If they're having such trouble resolving this why should you be their experiment at that high cost for a new vehicle? You can be demanding without being rude but definitely be firm and tell them what you expect and what you'll accept. It is after all your hard earned money and you're clearly not getting what you paid for.

Good luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bummer you had such a bad trip. A friend did ED on his V50 about 10 years ago and I am considering it in the future. Your experience certainly has shaped my perception of what can go wrong with a brand new car in a foreign land. You are not to blame at all for the terrible ED experience. However, the problems you experienced were certainly magnified by you choosing to be an early adopter of Volvo's most complex car ever made and you choosing an itinerary that was inflexible. Even in Germany, where they value punctuality above all else, you need to leave some slack in your schedule just in case. In every other European country you need to be flexible and go with the flow or else you'll just hate it. I hope Volvo will make things right in the end, but I've got to be honest, I don't hold them in very high regard in terms of customer service.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh wow. After reading all your emails, I would not want this vehicle. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't want any XC90, for now. Again, I'm so sorry that this is all happening to you. And thank you for sharing, it's very helpful to learn from this. Never buy a brand new model of a car that has not been real-world tested yet. Lesson learned.

P.S.: From reading your emails, it sounds like the ball is in your court and you need to make a clear demand regarding compensation. I don't know how it legally works with OSD -- have you officially accepted the delivery already? If not, there is no way I would. If yes, well, then I would step up the level of aggressiveness and make a clear demand for a different unit. I don't think that's unreasonable given all the circumstances!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts