SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 240 guy, and haven't really ever messed with the 850 at all. Are there differences in the engine internals between the NA 5 and the t5? I'm looking at buying an overheated '94 850 t5 wagon in good shape and swapping in a motor. A possible donor car is a '93 NA 850 that has body damage. Can I swap motors and just add the turbo parts etc? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
NO!
You need a high pressure motor with the lower compression pistons
plus 93s are odd.
First year car/engine and there are many parts that don't swap as in 94 there were significant upgrades all over, body, interior, engine, etc.
I know nothing about 93 engines but I wouldn't touch one with the proverbial 10' pole!

·
Registered
241 Posts
don't swap any of the n/a engine parts to the t5 motor you will have to do head work..i.e. valves mainly as they're different in turbo models. any turbo engine 94+ to 98 will work. 99 is a lot more hassle to retro fit and takes more time but will fit.

where are you located?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Montana and there aren't many Volvos. More 850's than 240's though. I may be able to get the motor going, the owner had a friend pull it and resurface it he thinks. Than the guy started putting it back together and couldn't figure out where everything goes. It has the head on it and most everything else but many hoses and wires still sitting in the front seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts