SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to do a complete overhaul of my 2001 2.4t once the weather starts to warm up, including:
Replacing the 2.4t engine with a T5 (still need one if anyone's parting something out)
New front seats (beige color, again if anyone's parting out)
Would love to convert from auto to manual, but unless someone's got an manual t5 trans in the US it's not happening
lowering springs
Various ipd suspension and engine upgrades
ecu tune
new rims
paint - my car is currently red, and I'd like to start fresh with the paint. As mentioned above, I have a beige interior. What are the ups and downs for any of these colors?
darker red
blue/grey
dark grey
silver
black

Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also how do I put pictures up here

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Wow, loaded post.

First may I ask why you want to replace the current motor? Second why do you want to replace it with a T5 block?

I don't see any mention of other power upgrades like a larger turbocharger so I don't see the point of doing all that work to end up with a lower displacement, lower torque motor that's going to be more expensive. The LPT block can make more power than a T5 at the same boost pressure as long as it's within reason. Modern LPT blocks in P2 cars are much stronger than the older LPT motors and can withstand almost anything you can bolt onto them these days.

Manual T5 trans? I think you need to do some research and see what the difference between the gearboxes are and what exactly you plan to use the car for. Search for M56 and M66 and you'll see what I mean.

Make sure you are in agreement with your tuner of choice, sounds like you are going to end up with a frankenstein car so Lucky at ARD is most likely your best bet. He'll be able to help you pick the block , trans and get a tune going to meet your needs.

Re: paint, make sure you are having an experienced painter work on the car or you could be in for a headache. Do not do a MAACO job or similar, you want a full prep and warranty for the work.

Colors, up to you, most of the ones you listed could work with tan interior but depends greatly on the shade of the paint. Look up color theory and get an idea on how to match colors either by analogous colors or complementary colors.

Pics , join Photobucket or another image hosting site, upload pics to that site and then copy the IMG tags into your post.

Hope that helps somewhat.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I don't have much faith in your want list coming to fruition...unless you're sitting on $30K or more. Powertrain change? Search Chilledman's and AthruC's posts to see what going from AT to MT will entail. The Cliff's notes: remove EVERYTHING powertrain-management-related and swap in EVERYTHING from the MT car - and don't forget, there are modules all over the whole car, so you are talking about putting the car out of service for hundreds of man hours, as you pull apart everything.

Look at NJGB's build page. Modding a LPT using PROVEN parts like IPD, RICA or BSR tunes will give you more satisfaction, and will prevent you from getting halfway through a build and giving up when you find you can't get unproven mods to work together. No one here wants to see an S60 turbo look like a 3-tone pitted and bondo'd Civic with 3 seats removed and wires all over the interior.
All I'm saying is there are proven ways to do it right, and the road map is here in SS.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier and or more cost effective just to buy another p2 with what you're looking for?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I'm pretty sure Lucky has the manual swap tune down pat by now, that part is doable. My question is more why swap motors?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I'm just playing around with ideas here - my car has 185,000 miles and climbing, and wasn't cared for like I would have cared for it. Everything's functioning okay right now, except the transmission which is experiencing some shift flare that I have reduced to rough shifting. I thought about switching cars but I love the experience of working on the car and would love for it to last longer. I also love manual transmissions so I figured if the engine and tranny both should be replaced because of their high mileage, why not have a little fun. I originally was thinking about a higher pressure turbo, that's why I was talking about the t5 block, but if it can handle the higher pressure maybe i'll just get a lower mileage lpt. Where is Lucky with ARD located?

btw NJGB I've read through and checked out everything you've done with your car and it's incredible, it's a great source of inspiration.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I would keep your engine, swap a 16t turbo in it with a manual trans and party. Would be a blast of a car! ARD is located in Portland, Oregon. Also, where are you located?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Thanks man.

+1, do a basic tune up and check the condition of the current engine with a compression and leakdown test. Should be fine at those miles, I am at 200,000 now and she's running better now than ever, these cars are built like tanks IMO. As long as your compression and leakdown numbers look okay I would suggest keeping the current LPT motor and do a simple 16T swap (good idea to do R manifold, DP, FMIC, etc...at the same time) and have Lucky tune it for both the turbo and your manual swap.

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I'm in Central Jersey, NJGreenBudd did you drive out to Portland for an ARD tune? or did you not tune with ARD?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You ship them your ECU and they tune it and send it back. Though I think soon they will release a softloader option so you can load it yourself.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright. Has anyone done a manual swap to know what I need to do before sending the ECU in?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I don't have an ARD tune, I have RICA. ARD can tune the ECU for the manual transmission, just talk to Lucky and make sure he knows what trans you are going to use. Call him for the details or look on volvospeed in his ARD tune threads in the performance section.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I were to stay automatic what can I do with the RICA tune?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts