SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what it would take to get overdrive into my 1966 four speed Amazon. Are there overdrive units available? Would it be better to replace the transmission with a five speed? Six speed? Are there any out there that fit without having to do sheet metal work? What about the drive shaft, etc.?

Any thoughts or, better still, any experience doing this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
A conversion to an M41 with OD is probably the easiest path. A search on Swedespeed should net you several threads covering issues with the conversion. I don't recall anybody posting a thread with a start to finish conversion. Of course, the M41 is not a true 5 speed. If you use Google you can probably find M41s for sale - somewhere.

The T5 conversion seems to be the other go-to, perhaps because of availability. The T5 conversion will get you a change in shifter location which you may or may not find desirable. There was a thread on Turbobricks where somebody was looking at using the T5 from an older S10 pickup (I think S10) because it had the long top mount shifter that would retain the look of the original M40. You need to deal with the attachment to the bell housing, clutch stuff and driveshaft stuff. You also have to be picky in your selection of a used T5 because some of them have ratios that don't really work that well behind a B18 or B20.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I found the best info on Vclassics. Craig provided the link.

You can expect to pay around $300-600 for a good quality M41.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I found the best info on Vclassics. Craig provided the link.

You can expect to pay around $300-600 for a good quality M41.
For reference I paid $800 for a fully rebuilt J type M41 (including new syncros and bearings) with no miles on it that was being resold with receipt of $1100 worth of work not including the core trans and that was about 6 years ago. From what I've heard as of late a fully rebuilt unit can sell between $800 and $1200 depending on extent of work performed.

Also for reference I work at an independent European repair shop and our hourly rate is $124/hour. I would assume that's on the higher end for most areas but we are competing with dealerships in the $200+/hr range.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just had a rebuilt trans installed with a J-type overdrive unit. How does this operate? Just flip the switch when in (4th) gear and under power? Depress the clutch and then flip the switch? Different when engaging and disengaging?

·
Registered
556 Posts
tsores;

Some say depressing the Clutch is not necessary, when going into or out of OD...and it isn't...since it is a wet friction power transfer inside the OD, similar to an automatic transmission, where there is no Clutch either...but I still use the Clutch to spare the drivetrain the shockloads.

Thanks for SW-EM reference, Craig!

Cheers

·
Registered
73 Posts
Somewhere on-line is a gooddescription on "planetary gears" and how they work on a J type, Laycock. SOrry I do not have that URL. It could be on the following, with other questions answered:

John Espisito is a guy in the north east who rebuilds Laycocks, if you don't want to get dizzy trying it yourself. He's pretty well known in the vintage race car world, reviewed in Hemmings, etc. He offers a lot of information on these transmissions. I think that given the number of Laycock overdrives that he and his crew rebuild, he must have a good idea of what he's talking about. His site still needs work....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Somewhere on-line is a gooddescription on "planetary gears" and how they work on a J type, Laycock. SOrry I do not have that URL. It could be on the following, with other questions answered:

John Esposito is a guy in the north east who rebuilds Laycocks, if you don't want to get dizzy trying it yourself. He's pretty well known in the vintage race car world, reviewed in Hemmings, etc. He offers a lot of information on these transmissions. I think that given the number of Laycock overdrives that he and his crew rebuild, he must have a good idea of what he's talking about. His site still needs work....
BF: The website you provided not only lands on the Quantum site but the topic of the month is "Proper Shifting of a Laycock Overdrive."

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts